• @wittmann:

That said, I prefer to use the Tac on the Carrier to attack Tobruk with the 4 Ground units in Alex, with the Mech in Egypt.
    But then I don’t like giving Italy any sort of fighting chance.
    You must protect Cairo at all costs.

Don’t forget to attack Ethiopia too.
    I use both TTs (SZ97 and SZ39). I know this means India does not get Sumatra, but I think if he wants India, one will capture it anyway, despite the extra 4 IPCs.
    Italy should be your main target.
    Germany might get Moscow. The Axis still need Cairo.

You could also bring the 97 TT to Tobruk for 2 more units on the attack.  Ofcourse the Ethiopia battle becomes more risky with only the 39 TT and a Cruiser bombardment.

If you send 2 UK fighters to Toranto you can use the French fighter on the surviving German BB.

• Afternoon Ike.
    French Ft: of course. That said, I like to think of the French Ft as a backup, if the UK attack failed to hit.
    I realise the Tobruk attack is very 50/50. I just think Italy will find it harder than the UK to reinforce Africa and every bit of disruption to its plans is a help. Can always withdraw if R1 goes badly.
    You can use the TT ensure a Tobruk victory, but I hate to throw it away. I would rather have it off the East of Africa as a shuttle for Egyptian reinforcements from the South or saved as a possible throw away at Greece later.
    Remember any Bomber in the South of Italy can hit the Suez and land on Greece.

• Good points wittmann, I think it comes down to personal preference how you divide up the units between Taranto, Tobruk and Ethiopia.   It stings if Germany uses a sub against the SZ91 Cruiser and hits it.  Then to block SZ 96 you have to atleast send the DD there instead of Taranto.  That may force you to bring the Tac instead of sending it to Tobruk.  What would you do in this situation without the 91 CR?

• Cry.
    Has only happened once. Can’t remember what I did. It might have been before I started doing both Tobruk and Taranto (a few months now).
    I would always send a Cruiser and Ft against SZ96. Suppose, one fewer unit  (Cruiser) for Taranto.
    And pray!

• Ok, thanks for the info  :-)

So the carrier has to go into 97 to pick up the UK fighters, if they survive? While the strat bomber can land in syria or malta I guess.

Here is the situation I have: the germans bought a transport, tac and strat bomber. They took paris and normandy, activated finland and bulgaria, didnt hit yugo and moved several troops to the russian boarder. Their whole navy (besides some scattered subs) is in the baltic sea behind denmark with planes near by to scramble.

The only UK navy they took out was my boats off canada and the cruiser off gibralter, so all my navy around england is still alive. They flew like 8 planes over london on a bombing raid so I didn’t intercept, my airbase got hit for 6 dmg and the factory for 9 dmg.

The italians have just the 2 fighter ready to scramble to guard their fleets.

How should I divide my forces to hit italy? Should I even try to?

• You need to make Germany pay for not taking out your two fleets. Consolidate to 1 navy, have fighters to scramble.  Keep this fleet intact, this is a huge advantage for UK!  You’ll be able to protect transports much sooner and start landings in Western Europe sooner.  This also allows the US to spend less on navy in the Atlantic and more in the pacific.  I’ve never played a game where Germany didn’t sink both sz110 and sz111 fleets.

• You land the Bomber  in Malta and yes, the UK Fts Would  have to land on the Carrier in SZ97.
    Don’t repair the AB (only need spend two), unless you leave your  fleet in the Channel, but you will have to repair the IC by 3 at least.
    Buy a Ft (or two) and some Inf for England.
    Don’t worry about the Subs which survived off Canada: let them convoy raid you for three.
    You have bigger worries.

Edit: still do Taranto, especially as he only has two Italian Ft. This means, if he scrambles, he has fewer units for his Italian counterattack.
    You will need to use the SZ98 Cruiser against his small fleet off Tobruk, but you have two choices: use both UK Fts and not the Carrier or one Ft from UK and the Carrier.
    Depends if you are doing Tobruk too.
    I accept that I will lose the Carrier whatever, so like to throw it in to soak up two hits.
    I think having a fleet off Italy and in the Channel, will mean Germany can only hit one of them with his surviving 10 Air. He will probably go after the Channel and you will rule the Med. That is half way to beating the Euro Axis.
    Have fun and don’t worry if you lose: the game is Axis biased.
    If the Axis player is good and sticks to a strategy you will lose, without extra Allied units for balance.

• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13

G1 says me Axis definitely goes for Barbarossa, if your opponent realizes that killing the Allies fleet in G3 in sz110 takes too much planes while France puts a DD block in sz119. You should have good odds to protect London against G3 SL without buying inf there now, if you keep most of the UK air in the London range after UK1.
    What I’d be really concerned  is G4 when Germany is ready for taking Belarus, assuming G2 buys fast units and DOWs Russia - several troops are off the russian boarder already, right?  Like my recent opponent Cow said

I am going to attack belarus like a madman.  I need to win that battle to make it easier to take Russia, because after that there is like jack squat.

.  The only way to keep Bel is UK planes there before G4. Not guaranteed  - depends on G2 buy. Can Allies bring enough planes to Rus after Taranto? My plan would be: UK1 buy AB Gib & IC Egypt, sz98 fleet > sz92, one ftr to Egy and UK, the rest > Gib & sz92, take Ethiopia as Wittmann suggests and move all available land units to Egy.
    Also, from my experience, killing Italian fleet and taking sz97 might be cheeper when UK builds Egy IC first turn. Good luck.

• Customizer

@wittmann:

Afternoon Ike.
    French Ft: of course. That said, I like to think of the French Ft as a backup, if the UK attack failed to hit.
    I realise the Tobruk attack is very 50/50. I just think Italy will find it harder than the UK to reinforce Africa and every bit of disruption to its plans is a help. Can always withdraw if R1 goes badly.
    You can use the TT ensure a Tobruk victory, but I hate to throw it away. I would rather have it off the East of Africa as a shuttle for Egyptian reinforcements from the South or saved as a possible throw away at Greece later.
    Remember any Bomber in the South of Italy can hit the Suez and land on Greece.

Hey Wittmann,
    I think you are forgetting a UK fighter –- Scotland. That fighter on Scotland can not reach SZ 97 for the Taranto raid anyway so you can still send your two UK fighters to Taranto and use the Scotland fighter to blast that German Battleship.
    One other thing that occurred to me. Azathoth mentioned the Germans bombed 6 points of damage on his Airbase. If the Airbase is damaged, the 2 UK fighters can NOT make it to Taranto. It takes a full 5 moves to get there – (1) SZ 110, (2) Belgium, (3) W Germany, (4) N Italy, (5) SZ 97. So if he wants to do the Taranto raid, he will have to repair the air base.

• Well caught Knp: will have to spend 2 to repair the AB after all.

I had not forgotten the Scottish Ft though. That is always half my attack on the Battleship. Then another defender for London.
    I really would do Tobruk and Taranto in this scenario.
    Hope you are having a good weekend’s gaming Knp (trying out  your new US Axis set up).

• @wittmann:

Well caught Knp: will have to spend 2 to repair the AB after all.

I had not forgotten the Scottish Ft though. That is always half my attack on the Battleship. Then another defender for London.
    I really would do Tobruk and Taranto in this scenario.
    Hope you are having a good weekend’s gaming Knp (trying out  your new US Axis set up).

Wouldn’t he need to spend 4 to repair AB? It took 6 damage, and I thought at 3 damage and above it’s inoperable…

• Yes,you are right,  thank you Ike. (I have a cold and am feeling miserable; blame that.)

• Well my friend and I met up to play for a few more hours yesterday and I got to try out the taranto raid. Here is how the Uk turn went if anyone is curious.

I bought 2 fighters in london, repaired one point on the factory and just enough on the AB to bring it back online, put one inf in south africa.

For the big attacks on italy I sent the cruiser near egypt and the fighter from gibralter to kill the transport off tobruk, won that without loss. In zone 97 I sent 2 fighters and the strat from england, the fighter from malta along with the destroyer tac and carrier (to absorb some hits like you said wittmann) from egypt.

The italians chose not to scramble their 2 fighters, so things were looking good…. untill I missed almost all my shots. By the time I killed the transport I had lost 3 fighters and the carrier :-(

For my final moves I landed the surviving aircraft in malta, retreated all the brits to egypt, transported one egyptian to persia, moved all the indian ocean boats toward the suez canal except for the trans there which dropped 2 guys on one of those 4 dollar islands, the south africans advanced north.

By the homelands I massed my happy to be alive fleet off the west coast of london with my two newly bought fighters and the french fighter for scramble cover. Oh and i had sent 1 destroyer to deal with a german sub off canda… and the germans rolled a 1 before I got a 2 sinking my boat. oh well.

But to end on a really happy note: the german second turn they bought all land forces and massed a swarm on the russian boarder for a turn 3 barbarossa, then did another air raid over england. 1 strat hit my unguarded scotland AB for 6 damage, but over london it was a better result. It started bad when he sent 4 bombers and a fighter to hit the facilities, so I scrambled. Getting no hits but losing the french fighter, things seemed grim, untill the AA phase :evil: He sent one tac at my AB and one at my NB, I rolled two 1s and killed them both. Follow this up with his two strats attacking my factory, and again I get two more 1s!

It was criminal and I almost felt bad  :wink: needless to say the battle of britain is over and all remaining german planes headed eastward except the ones guarding his cowardly fleet hiding in the baltic lol.

This game is so much fun  :-D

• This is why we roll dice :)

Sometimes they screw you over; sometimes they save your bacon. What I like about G40 is that it is just so big of a game, that any one extreme-case battle will likely be balanced out by the many other battles.

• @TheMethuselah:

This is why we roll dice :)

Sometimes they screw you over; sometimes they save your bacon. What I like about G40 is that it is just so big of a game, that any one extreme-case battle will likely be balanced out by the many other battles.

That is like saying if you and your spouse had 4 girls in a row, that you are extremely likely to have a boy next time.

The reality is that luck does not work that way.  A 50% chance will be a 50% chance every time and the previous outcomes have no bearing on future outcomes.

Long story short, don’t rely on bad luck turning good or vice versa.  The best you can do is to try to minimize risk.

• True, I did not mean to say that one bad-luck battle increases your odds of a future good-luck battle. What I meant is that Global 1940 is a much bigger game than, say, Revised. Global has more units involved and more battles that matter. The effect of having more units and more battles is to soften the effect of any one unit missing or of any one battle going poorly. In other words, as you broaden your sample size, you get closer to achieving average results in the aggregate.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m