HMS Howe & Cumberland vs Scharnhorst & Gneisenau

• The German Battlecruisers both have been transferred to Norwegian water after the Channel Dash. Hitler is set on the destruction of a large Arctic convoy delivering war materials. Standing between the Battlecruisers is the British Battleship Howe and heavy cruiser Cumberland. This battle is during daylight hours. Who wins?

• Howe was really a battleship like Hood. It was more modern and had decent upgrades for Radar. The German ships are older and less modern. Id go with the Brits.

Cumberland would be sunk as well as both German ships leaving Howe

• @Imperious:

Howe was really a battleship like Hood. It was more modern and had decent upgrades for Radar. The German ships are older and less modern. Id go with the Brits.

Cumberland would be sunk as well as both German ships leaving Howe

Thank you for your post, I enjoy reading your thoughts.

• Scharnhorst and company. Faster than the Howe and only .5 knots slower than the Cumberland. They had more heavy guns than the British ships and the both the armor on the battleships are similar. Tho the Cumberland is out matched here. The Germans can out maneuver the British battleship while suppressing the Cumberland so she cant get in range with her smaller guns. The Germans have a slightly faster rate of fire and better optical equipment, but the British have radar, so that’s a toss up. I have to go with the Germans for this one.

• I think the German pair might win this one, for the reasons PoloPlayer mentioned.
    I wonder what the German Admiral’s plan would be though. Is it better to pound the Heavy Cruiser,knocking her  out of the equation, so his two ships can better disable the Battleship, hoping to cause it to retire or does he concentrate all fire on the Battleship from the start of the engagement?

• @Imperious:

Howe was really a battleship like Hood.

Howe was the fifth unit of the KGV battleship class, completed in the 1940s.  Hood was a WWI-designed battlecruiser completed in the early 1920s.

• The comparison was only that it was called a Battlecruiser as a reference but like Hood it was a battleship. The comparison was not of any attributes, only name.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I don’t get what’s meant…

-AW talks about the Battleship Howe.
    -Then IL says Howe was a Battleship like Hood.
    -Then CWO points out the hood was a battlecruiser.

No one is saying the Howe was a battlecruiser?  And everyone agrees it was a battleship.  So what’s the point of the whole conversation? lol

Germany wins this matchup.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m