• Customizer

If the fleet in SZ 2 is unmolested it can offload 2 Canadians in Brest/Picardy on turn 1.

@DarthShizNit:

Wait, Canada can get to Burgundy on turn 2?

• Tis a shame those Germans can’t use those trains eh? Loved that line

• Customizer

It seems the income goes to Italy. Only when Britain liberated a Portuguese colony Kreighund said that the UK gets the money.

I’m just getting more and more confused….

@ossel:

@Flashman:

After consultation with the Dog of War, the UK discovers that it is perfectly legal to land an infantry in Albania to activate that country, and it does so, grabbing the 2 IPCs to the annoyance of Italy.

Not so fast. This isn’t really spelled out well in the rules (what is?), but I’m 99% sure when a ‘friendly’ power activates an aligned neutral, that power doesn’t get any sort of increase in IPC income…The only case where activating (and conquering) a minor power results in an IPC increase is when it’s activated in defense of a hostile attack.

Here’s an example from Larry’s France writeup:

Instead, the convoy heads for Portugal, where upon arrival it unloads its infantry. Portugal, being a capital of a minor aligned power (aligned with France actually), places 3 infantry and 1 artillery on the map. In the same way that Serbia used Russian pieces, Portugal will use French pieces.

He makes no mention of France’s IPC income going up.

• Larry just forgot or decided it was not appropriate to mention the income increase, Flashman.
    I think the Rules,like 2nd Edit Global, are much clearer than they used to be.
    Larry’s 8 piece narrative was just that: a story.
    Krieg would not have said that about Portugal proper; it is French aligned.
    He would have said(as you have) UK takes the income when the Colony has been poached by the Germans, then lost.
    Whichever nation takes it back from the Central Powers(probably Germany) will claim it.
    This will happen as the UK has the most number of African units and India producing more.

If the Germans do not take Belgian and Portuguese tts, I assume the Allies can never get the income.
    Please confirm/deny Krieg. Thank you.
    If that is the case, the Germans in Africa would be better off sitting still; there is no point giving the Allies(UK!) extra income.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I love your commentary of Woodrow’s posturing during the American build-up. What’s next, will he fabricate a Native American uprising in Wyoming?

• '13

Ok im confused. Lets say we have the uk lands in portugul. This activates the country correct? Do the troops that it activates go to the uk or france? And does the territory get liberated to go to france or does the uk get the income from portugul. And are the portugul colonies go to the uk? Or france? Or do they remain uncontrolled till some power moves in.

• @Quintus:

Ok im confused. Lets say we have the uk lands in portugul. This activates the country correct? Do the troops that it activates go to the uk or france? And does the territory get liberated to go to france or does the uk get the income from portugul. And are the portugul colonies go to the uk? Or france? Or do they remain uncontrolled till some power moves in.

Since it’s aligned to France, French units go on the map and France gets the income.

Really guys you are making it more complicated than it needs to be (including you Flashman).

As to the Albania issue, since it’s aligned to Italy, when the British units land Italian units are placed and Italy gets the income.

As to true neutrals, when a figure attacks it, the other side chooses a power to represent it with it’s units and will get any income from that neutral territory if/when it’s freed.

• @TheVenocWarlord:

@Quintus:

Since it’s aligned to France, French units go on the map and France gets the income.

Really guys you are making it more complicated than it needs to be (including you Flashman).

As to the Albania issue, since it’s aligned to Italy, when the British units land Italian units are placed and Italy gets the income.

As to true neutrals, when a figure attacks it, the other side chooses a power to represent it with it’s units and will get any income from that neutral territory if/when it’s freed.

The question is whether the Belgian and Portuguese colonies, not the capital territories, go to France upon liberation or whether it goes to Britain since Britain liberated them. I’d say since

the mother countries are French clients that their colonies are as well and should go to France’s economy.

• Customizer

So would I, but I think the official rule is otherwise.

• Customizer

TURN THE THIRD (PART ONE)

AUSTRIA

Brutally puts down the Albanian occupation of Trieste. Budapest is stripped of defences in order to attack in Galicia; the plan nearly dislodges the Russians, but a single defender hangs on. The battle for Tuscany begins with 25 units assaulting 22 Italian defenders, resulting in heavy casualties on both sides.

RUSSIA

Moves into Prussia and Budapest by defeating token defences. Romania is left with a single defender as the Southern Front is sent to the relief of Sevastopol, which remains contested after some myopic Russian marksmanship.

GERMANY

The Lorraine army is pulled back to Alsace to be joined with a new force marching through from Munich. As usual, a single Milton Bradley Youth Corps unit is left in Loraine to face the entire French army. A failed attempt to regain the Congo results in the first African theatre casualty. Prussia is easily retaken. A small force descends from the Alps to capture Piedmont, something the CPs regret not doing before.

Germany’s main effort is in Poland, where the fighter flown in from Galicia helps a large artillery stack knock holes in the Russian defences.

FRANCE

A moderate force recaptures Lorraine, but the main Burgundy army waits for reinforcements from Paris. Two new fighters give France plenty of option next turn.

The Mediterranean BB assaults the Austrian fleet, going down after sinking the cruiser and damaging the Hapsburg flagship.

A transport brings the last Portugueser to Marseilles, from which the other two depart for Canada (yes, just 2 spaces away!)

BRITAIN

Makes no fewer than 5 attacks this round. In Africa, the Congo is recaptured, but the Germans hold out in FEA.

The BMF finally finishes off the Austrian navy. The Syrian desert is captured, and another assault from India finally takes Persia.

The major effort however is in Belgium. An amphibious assault from England of 8 units, and a drive from Picardy by the B.E.F. adds Belgium’s 2 IPCs to the UK cash income (I think…)

The 2nd and 3rd Canadian corps file onto two French transports.

At one point I had 3 AA Revised British infantry on the board include the mob zone.

I find I’m spending up to half the game time exchanging and hunting for chips; there must be a better way of dealing with this…

It’s mainly caused by a simple lack of single unit chips, but the following occurred to me:

Have a different colour chip for each unit type:

infantry - white/yellow(5)
    artillery - red/brown(5)
    tanks - grey/black(5)
    fighters - light blue/dark blue(5)

Then, since every army MUST include an infantry, you could stack a nation’s entire force in one pile, with the appropriate foot soldier on top.

I suppose ultimately you could do away with non-infantry units altogether; its a question of saving space in a game where you can have up to 8 nations stacking in contested land areas, which tend to be smaller the more important and crowded they’re likely to be.

Probably use grey and red next game.

N.B. IL - The Haitian Dreadnought was sunk by an American Cruiser disguised as the Love Boat.

• @Flashman:

So would I, but I think the official rule is otherwise.

Yea, I’m pretty sure that your right flash. The neutral colonies (not the colonies of the major powers) aren’t aligned like some of the neutral parent countries (no major power flags on colonies) so whom ever moves in to them to activate it gains control (places their own units, and control marker). Afterwords ownership of the neutral colonies will transfer to the new owner as they are captured/liberated. Capturing a colony has no effect on the parent country either, and colonies don’t have a standing army based on IPCs.

BTW, I think that income from Belgium would go to France wouldn’t it. The UK would be liberating it for the French because it is aligned to France (French flag on it)  ?

• '16

Belgium isn’t a French original territory though, so it wouldn’t get “liberated” by Britain.
    It would just give ownership to the conquering power.

• '13

But belgium does have a french marker next to the belgium flag plus the province is blue so i think its safe to say that france will get the province if any other ally liberates/activates the province.

Colonies are in blue too so im just going to have france get the portuguese and belgium colonies when the their countries get activated.

• Customizer

TURN THE THIRD (PART THE SECOND)

TURKEY

Along with the Bulgarians, marches a large force into Bucharest, the Russians having left to recapture Sevastopol. This last is reinforced by the Turks from Mesopotamia, effectively abandoning Baghdad to the large British army advancing across Persia. A large army in concentrated in the capital, the plan being to trade Smyrna and Ankara with the British while taking over the southern sector against Russia.

ITALY

The 2 units in Burgundy march to the French coast to rendezvous with the Italian fleet. In order to keep the Austrians at bay, it is decided to attack in Tuscany.

Italy has: 1 fighter, 6 infantry, 8 artillery

Austria has: 1 fighter, 2 infantry, 8 artillery

With large artillery forces in both sides, the air duel will be crucial. After three passes the Austrian Ace scores a victory, and the Hapsburg artillery home in on the enemy.

7 casualties each severely depletes the invaders, but reinforcements are due from Venice, and Italy now collects a paltry 9 IPCs.

USA

With Italy the most hard-pressed of the Allies, the “Appalachian Educational Faculty” sails into the Mediterranean, with the “Alaskan Environmental Federation” just a few leagues behind.

President Wilson is re-elected as the “he kept us out of the war” candidate.

Defeated “British Stooge” Charles Hughes is beaten to death by an anti-war mob.

• @Flashman:

TURN THE THIRD (PART THE SECOND)

TURKEY

Along with the Bulgarians, marches a large force into Bucharest, the Russians having left to recapture Sevastopol. This last is reinforced by the Turks from Mesopotamia, effectively abandoning Baghdad to the large British army advancing across Persia. A large army in concentrated in the capital, the plan being to trade Smyrna and Ankara with the British while taking over the southern sector against Russia.

ITALY

The 2 units in Burgundy march to the French coast to rendezvous with the Italian fleet. In order to keep the Austrians at bay, it is decided to attack in Tuscany.

Italy has: 1 fighter, 6 infantry, 8 artillery

Austria has: 1 fighter, 2 infantry, 8 artillery

With large artillery forces in both sides, the air duel will be crucial. After three passes the Austrian Ace scores a victory, and the Hapsburg artillery home in on the enemy.

7 casualties each severely depletes the invaders, but reinforcements are due from Venice, and Italy now collects a paltry 9 IPCs.

USA

With Italy the most hard-pressed of the Allies, the “Appalachian Educational Faculty” sails into the Mediterranean, with the “Alaskan Environmental Federation” just a few leagues behind.

President Wilson is re-elected as the “he kept us out of the war” candidate.

Defeated “British Stooge” Charles Hughes is beaten to death by an anti-war mob.

You could put a world of hurt on the Austrians by shuttling units from the USA to Albania.  Its only 3 moves to Albania with a shuck of 9 transports (3 in SZ 17, 3 in SZ 14, and 3 in SZ 1).  You could land 4 inf and 2 art every turn in Albania with that shuck.  Even better is that it is a big threat to Vienna, since you are only 2 moves from their capitol.  This would force the Austrians to make the tough decision to either continue the attack on Italy or try and push the US out of Europe.

• Customizer

Since I’m using MB factory pieces to mark production centres, it occured to me that a 2nd German production centre, possibly in Alsace (Stuttgart?), would mitigate against the CPs lack of rail movement.

Add Petrograd (now Russian starting capital) & Halifax Nova Scotia to make 12 PCs (including Bombay, which the UK would now have to defend).

A net increase of 3 PCs wins the game, but as before must include Paris/London or Berlin.

• @Flashman:

Since I’m using MB factory pieces to mark production centres, it occured to me that a 2nd German production centre, possibly in Alsace (Stuttgart?), would mitigate against the CPs lack of rail movement.

Add Petrograd (now Russian starting capital) & Halifax Nova Scotia to make 12 PCs (including Bombay, which the UK would now have to defend).

A net increase of 3 PCs wins the game, but as before must include Paris/London or Berlin.

Are the Germans really in that dire of straights against France?

• Customizer

Once the Brits get ashore, I cannot see how Germany can reach Paris when it takes so long for new units to reach France.

It seems too much like “Paris or Bust” in the first 3 turns at most.

The Stuttgart PC would give them a fighting chance, but also give France an attainable victory goal.

Look at the map, mark the capitals in Western/Central Europe, and you’ll see why I think Alsace (rather than, for example, Ruhr) would be the ideal site for another PC.

In the case of powers with more than one PC, the loss of one would not preclude production continuing at the other.

You could even allow France to produce at the captured Alsace factory, if you consider that France regarded the historical province as naturally part of France (though you’d have to call the city Strasbourg). But I wouldn’t. I’d never allow building in captured factories. Except, is Alsace different because its a French area held by Germany since 1871?

After all, Strasbourg is now the capital of Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg

• @Flashman:

Once the Brits get ashore, I cannot see how Germany can reach Paris when it takes so long for new units to reach France.

The Stuttgart PC would give them a fighting chance, but also give France an attainable victory goal.

Look at the map, mark the capitals in Western/Central Europe, and you’ll see why I think Alsace (rather than, for example, Ruhr) would be the ideal site for another PC.

In the case of powers with more than one PC, the loss of one would not preclude production continuing at the other.

You could even allow France to produce at the captured Alsace factory, if you consider that France regarded the historical province as naturally part of France (though you’d have to call the city Strasbourg). But I wouldn’t. I’d never allow building in captured factories. Except, is Alsace different because its a French area held by Germany since 1871?

You make it seem like the CPs are doomed, since Paris or London(yea right) are must haves.

• @Flashman:

It’s amazing to me that Germany needs 5 turns to move units from Berlin to Paris using the shortest route.  To compare the US can move units from Washington to Constantinople or Vienna in only 4 turns!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m