• Sponsor

I don’t play TripleA, but I imagine one can’t change the initial setup. However, in our table top games, players like to rotate different sides and nations fairly so everyone gets a chance to play something different. To achieve this, I think the Russians should trade their fighter in Moscow for a S. Bomber, the Americans should trade their destroyer in Hawaii for a Battleship, and the UK should trade their Mech Infantry in London for a Tank.

That should balance the game without the need to bid… What do you think.

• @Young:

I don’t play TripleA, but I imagine one can’t change the initial setup.

Actually you can change the initial setup. Either the game.xml can easily be modified according to your needs.
    Or you can use Edit Mode after the game has started.
    Editing the game.xml is useful if you want to play “permanently” with the changes that you intend.
    Just let me know if you want to learn more about that.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Young:

I don’t play TripleA, but I imagine one can’t change the initial setup. However, in our table top games, players like to rotate different sides and nations fairly so everyone gets a chance to play something different. To achieve this, I think the Russians should trade their fighter in Moscow for a S. Bomber, the Americans should trade their destroyer in Hawaii for a Battleship, and the UK should trade their Mech Infantry in London for a Tank.

Why not the bid though? Are you worried that only one allied nation gets the bid and it’s boring for others?

• Sponsor

I never thought about that, but in a 6 player game the allies would work together to decide what’s best. My concern is, half the fun of playing Axis and Allies for me is the hours of staring at the board deciding what my best approach would be in the first couple of rounds at least, a unknown bid changes that whole approach and even discourages you to do so because the bid and bid placement can change everything. So why not just balance the initial setup with a couple of set pieces that you can strategize around?

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

change the destroyer off South Africa into a transport.

Heyyy now that gives me an idea for a new house rule instead of bids.

• Sponsor

@variance:

change the destroyer off South Africa into a transport.

Heyyy now that gives me an idea for a new house rule instead of bids.

Accually puts the allies down a $1, but I see where you’re going with it.

• @Young:

…I think the Russians should trade their fighter in Moscow for a S. Bomber, the Americans should trade their destroyer in Hawaii for a Battleship, and the UK should trade their Mech Infantry in London for a Tank.

I think we will give this a try on our next table top game.  We are needing a balance issue now we are all at a level where we can swing the axis club hard enough to get the win without some assistance (or bad rolls)

• '16 '15 '10

@Young:

a unknown bid changes that whole approach and even discourages you to do so because the bid and bid placement can change everything.

This is one of the reasons I like bids.   Especially when they lead to different opening moves, bids can inject some excitement and more importantly–variation.  The Axis player should consider ahead of time where bids might be placed and have different potential strategies ready at hand.  A&A set-ups that require bids (like AA50 or Revised) can potentially have more longevity than perfectly balanced set-ups–partially because of the potential to shake the game up with a new bid strategy.

Your proposed changes would be helpful, but they aren’t quite enough to balance the game imho (though no doubt some would argue the opposite).  Bids offer balancing that neither side can dismiss as unfair.

Just mho fwiw.

• @Young:

Maybe upgrade the cruiser instead

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m