• @mastermind93:

Also, I have a question. (Pardon my ignorance here) You used the abbreviation AP to stand for transport. I was just wondering why. I don’t get it. My mind is drawing a complete blank. I’ll probably smack myself in the forehead when you tell me, though.

It’s the US Naval hull classification symbol for a transport vessel.  Generally A stands for auxiliary. P likely stands for Personnel.

Refer to the following for a more complete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

• TripleA

@kcdzim:

It’s the US Naval hull classification symbol for a transport vessel.  Generally A stands for auxiliary. P likely stands for Personnel.

Refer to the following for a more complete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

Thanks for the info and the article. Very helpful.  =)

• Soviet Union: buy 4 INF, 2 ARM

Attack West Russia with 9 INF, 2 ART and 2 ARM
    Attack Ukraine with 3 INF, 1 ART, 2 ARM and 2 FTR
    NCM AA to West Russia
    NCM Kazakh INF to join Chinese INF and FTR
    NCM Evenki 2 INF to Archangel
    NCM 5 INF on Buryatia

Germany takes Karelia on G1 but can only move 8 INF, 5 ARM to protect it while Soviets should have 8 INF, 2 ART, 4 ARM and 2 FTRs to retake Karelia.

The map disposition of the Eastern Front territories is still based on the Spring 1942 map - and the lack of NOs make the Karelia IC irrelevant as long as you can contest it.

• Attack Ukraine with 3 INF, 1 ART, 2 ARM and 2 FTR

It’s almost even and not good for Soviets. They can’t trade pieces if they are down at start.

• @Imperious:

It’s almost even and not good for Soviets. They can’t trade pieces if they are down at start.

That’s 83% odds for Soviets, add a 3rd tank and you get 96% odds. While on West Russia you still got 100% odds and lose only 3 INF.

The optimal R1 move for 2nd Edition is still the same as 1st Edition since the Eastern front hasn’t really changed other than the addition of the Baltic States - hit the Germans hard on Ukraine and West Russia to eliminate a large portion of their forces and prevent a Karelia stack.

Germany then takes Karelia and retakes Ukraine, attacks and sinks most/entire UK fleet on the Atlantic and Med, takes Gibraltar and mass its forces on Libya. Or, if the Ukraine fighter survived try to kill Egypt on G1 with 95% odds.

• That’s 83% odds for Soviets, add a 3rd tank and you get 96% odds.

The Germans got 15 and the soviets attacking with 18, which costs the soviets alot more because the attack is so even. Risking the 3rd tank just gets all tanks killed and a serious reduction in soviet potency.

You can still defend Caucasus and avoid these loses.

Just attack Finland and west Russia and retake karelia.

• @Imperious:

That’s 83% odds for Soviets, add a 3rd tank and you get 96% odds.

The Germans got 15 and the soviets attacking with 18, which costs the soviets alot more because the attack is so even. Risking the 3rd tank just gets all tanks killed and a serious reduction in soviet potency.

Germans lose 29 IPC and the ability to threaten Egypt on G1. Soviets lose 18 IPC on average with 2 armor still remaining. And if you don’t destroy the German stack on Ukraine then any Soviet forces on West Russia are left dead for a German counter attack on West Russia, a retake of Finland and the Germans conquering and securing Karelia on G1.

• Soviets lose 18 IPC on average with 2 armor still remaining

you lose 12 more IPC on the G1 turn with probably 1 Inf loss.

Germans cant take west Russia, nor Caucasus. Leaving Karelia en prise.

Finland could be taken if the German fleet supports with Norway  3 infantry 1 artillery and planes against 2-3 infantry, 1 artillery is not a good battle for Germany because it leaves Norway open plus Germany needs to fight UK and move out of Baltic for a turn and use it’s planes for other things.

Soviet builds protect Caucasus and West Russia will suck up every German land unit and not succeed in helping Germany. Germany can bring 15 vs. about 15-18 Soviet.

Again this assumes Germany uses most of it’s planes for other things.

• @Hobbes:

@Imperious:

That’s 83% odds for Soviets, add a 3rd tank and you get 96% odds. While on West Russia you still got 100% odds and lose only 3 INF.
    The optimal R1 move for 2nd Edition is still the same as 1st Edition since the Eastern front hasn’t really changed other than the addition of the Baltic States - hit the Germans hard on Ukraine and West Russia to eliminate a large portion of their forces and prevent a Karelia stack.
    Germany then takes Karelia and retakes Ukraine, attacks and sinks most/entire UK fleet on the Atlantic and Med, takes Gibraltar and mass its forces on Libya. Or, if the Ukraine fighter survived try to kill Egypt on G1 with 95% odds.

Ukraine needs to go, so I could see the 4inf/2arm buy now, but I’m curious what your G1 buy would be, because I’m not sold on the CV/inf buy as mentioned by IL….I’m not saying my 5inf,2art,1arm,1Bomber is a solid buy, but by taking Gib like you said (and I agree with that), is that UK can only muster a Bomber and DD against you, and may still not be able to take out the transport, so Egypt falling G2 is still on track (I guess the Germans could use a DD instead of the 2 art on G1, so you have a DD/BB protecting the transport…odds shift significantly in Germany’s favor in the Med.  I just see the CV as a waste of taxpayers’ dollars

• @Mallery29:

@Hobbes:

@Imperious:

Ukraine needs to go, so I could see the 4inf/2arm buy now, but I’m curious what your G1 buy would be, because I’m not sold on the CV/inf buy as mentioned by IL….I’m not saying my 5inf,2art,1arm,1Bomber is a solid buy, but by taking Gib like you said (and I agree with that), is that UK can only muster a Bomber and DD against you, and may still not be able to take out the transport, so Egypt falling G2 is still on track (I guess the Germans could use a DD instead of the 2 art on G1, so you have a DD/BB protecting the transport…odds shift significantly in Germany’s favor in the Med.  I just see the CV as a waste of taxpayers’ dollars

The possibilities I can think of for the German buy are the standard Spring 1942 1st ed. ones:

• 1 bomber, as you mentioned, although it won’t really be necessary since it looks that the UK can be stopped from any naval builds on UK1 by the threat of sinking them.
    • 4 ARM, 4 INF, 1 ART - if Germany wants to do a Karelia/Ukraine stack on G2.

• The only reason I could see to maintain the bomber is to provide more flex in the air force, especially if the russians hit Ukraine and Germany loses the FTR.  As long as you see the CV as wasted money (not saying you said that)….

• @Hobbes:

Or, if the Ukraine fighter survived try to kill Egypt on G1 with 95% odds.

@Hobbes:

Germans lose 29 IPC and the ability to threaten Egypt on G1.

Note that the Ukraine fighter can not reach Egypt so killing it, or not, on R1 has no real impact on a G1 Egypt attack.

I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

• I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

Personally, I’d go G2 on Egypt…2 tanks, 3inf, 1art, 1BB and any FTRs (doubt it would be needed though).  Doubt a 2nd tank would be needed either (seeing how I expect the FTR to do battle in the E.Indies).

Africa is yours! :)

• @JamesG:

Note that the Ukraine fighter can not reach Egypt so killing it, or not, on R1 has no real impact on a G1 Egypt attack.

I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

Thanks, I see it now, neither the fighter in Bul-Rom can reach it then.

It that case it becomes a question of stacking Egypt as mentioned above and the UK will have to choose to either stop the Germans on Africa or hit Japan.

The Japanese fleet off East Indies looks too tempting… but only has 64% odds

• Africa will hold for a little bit for Germany, especially with an extra bomber and FTRs in France w/subs to prevent retake by America.  Africa will be easier to cause damage for Germany because I feel the UK will want to trade pieces at E. Indies to help hold India.

• The Japanese fleet off East Indies looks too tempting… but only has 64% odds

“Never tell me the odds!”    8-)

• @Imperious:

1942 Basic Strategy:

Germany 41 IPC
    Builds: 1 CV ( Baltic), 9 infantry

1. Send both SS from #9 to attack #11
    2. Send both SS from Baltic to attack  #7 with Norway and Holland fighter
    3. Send fighter from Germany and Romania and attack UK CA in #14
    4. BB in #15 attacks UK DD in #17
    5. You got 2 fighters and 1 bomber for eastern front ( strategy based on Soviet moves)
    6. AP in # 15 lands tank and infantry in Libya

NCM: depends on Soviet turn, move African units toward Egypt
    Place CV in Medd to protect AP

United Kingdom 31 IPC
    Builds: fleet or factory ( depends on what Germany did on her turn)

1. All units out of Egypt ( providing it hasn�t been taken), Fighter to #37 with entire fleet from #35 and #39 to attack Japanese fleet at #37 (13 vs.14 Looking for exchange of pieces)

Japan 30 IPC
    Builds: 1 CV, 1 AP, 3 Infantry

Hello all,

I am new here, been Axis&Allies player for long time, and the newer the game is the better :) So I was really looking forward to this one.

Ok, these would be my opening terms.

I am not into Allies yet, as I like to play Axis, I always like to play the side that has the odds or time against them :)

As I understand the usual attack for Russia would be to take on Finland and Western Russia.  Attacking Ukraine instead off Finland is not a good idea if I might say, because all Russian armor would then be lost on G1, the Russian INF-shield is to low for Ukraine, artilleries and armor would be lost and Germany would lose 2 INF at most taking it back.

German opening move:

1. Strike Syria with 1 INF and 1 ART from Italy and use the Bomber from Berlin.  German Battleship takes out UK destroyer outside Syria.  Syria will then be taken by 1 German INF and 1 ART most probably.

2. Strike UK Cruiser outside Gibraltar, use 3 Fighters to do that, 1 from Denmark, 1 from Berlin and 1 from the area east of Berlin, ( can’t see what’s called but the Fighter is there )

3. Strike UK destroyer and transport outside Canada with 2 German subs

4. And of course, take back the area which Russia took, most probably Finland, it should be easy done with air support from Norway and Ukraine + Bulgaria/Romania. Consider taking Leningrad/Karelia at G1 turn, depends a little thought.

Land planes that attacked UK Cruiser at Gibraltar in France, 2 or 3 fighters.
    Move 1 INF and 1 ART from Algeria to Libya so that Germany has 2 INF, 1 ART and 1 Armor for G2 turn against Egypt. Move 1 INF from Morocco to Algeria.

Move 2 subs from Baltic fleet to the North Sea area between Norway and UK in order to threaten UK battleship and transport with Russian sub. This forces UK to expand this fleet, which give UK less resources to focus on India.

Germany buys: 1 Battleship, 1 transport, 2 INF and 2 ART

These can be put in either Baltic Sea in order to threaten UK even more with invasion and making Karelia look totally indefensible for Russia.

OR

These units can also be put between Italy and Libya in order to strenghten North-Africa and make Egypt-Syria area VERY HARD for UK to defend. If you choose this, then this means on G2, Germany can attack Egypt and Syria at the same time with total of 8 units + bomber, which landed on Libya after attacking Syria on G1. Not to mention the advantage of 2 German Battleships pounding Egypt-Syria shores before invasion with total of 8 units and bomber.

UK turn:

Depends on what Germany does, if Germany chooses to put those forces I bought for them in Baltic Sea or between Italy and Libya.  The point is anyway that UK will have to expand on the battleship outside UK. So I would buy a carrier and a transport for UK, that’s 21. Now UK has 10 IPC left. UK should consider 2 INF and 1 ART on UK if German fleet is in Baltic Sea. If German fleet is between Italy and Libya, then put 2 INF and 1 ART on India.

Attack: Take back Syria, there are most probably 1 German INF and 1 ART there. Something needs to be done, however UK has a problem since they are blocked by German forces in Syria, so UK can’t just blitz to Iran. What UK needs to do is to attack with 1 INF from Iran, 1 INF from Egypt and 1 ART from Egypt with 1 Armor from Egypt, there is no other way.

I am really not sure if UK should attack Japanese fleet outside E.Indies. This would mean some total collaps on Egypt-Syria border, remember what G2 will do on their turn, which is to attack with total of 8 units, 2 Battleships and 1 bomber. Losing a lot of boats against Japan , well decide on this yourself.

Japan turn:

Depends if the fleet is attacked in E.Indies or not, but either way, I would strike two U.S territories in China, not the one with the fighter but those two areas with 2 U.S. INF each. Attacking with 4 INF and 1 ART, 1 Fighter and the other one north of FIC, with 3 INF and 1 ART, 1 bomber.

Third attack would concentrate on taking out every Russian INF north of Manchuria. Plenty of Japanese resources for that.

Non-Combat Move - transport 1 INF and 1 ART from the Phillippines to FIC. And land all fighters available there, the one from carrier for example and another after China attack. Move Carrier and Cruiser outside FIC and maybe the battleship or 2 destroyers. This area should be safe from any UK2 attack.

Japan buys 1 factory, 1 transport, 1 armor and 1 INF. This would give Japan 3 transports to unload against the coast on J2 + 3 unit production factory which gives Japan total of 9 units or so on J2. And then on J2 I would start buying more naval units for Japan or air power or some combination of these two.

USA turn:

USA can take Solomon Islands and gather their fleet there. That is one option, however I would not do that. I would send entire fleet towards Alaska. It is clear that eastern parts of Russia bordering with Japan will need assistance and the best assistance would be from Alaska, it’s only 1 space from Soviet Far East.

I would buy factory on Alaska. That would give USA 2 units a round. In this order, USA can build up their fleet on Alaska, assisting Russia + threatening Japan all the time, which would keep Japanese fleet at Japan all the time. This allows USA to send forces to Russian territories, it’s the only way, and the fastest way. I don’t really see the point on attacking Phillipines on US2 when the primary goal is to stop Japanese attacks towards Russia and U.S. Chinese areas worth 4 IPC. So USA could have forces north of Manchuria on US2 instead of Phillipines.

The Atlantic, not much USA can do here besides landing 2 Fighters on UK carrier in order to protect it. However the USA has to make a choice, whether or not to strike those 2 German subs outside Canada with destroyer and fighters and a bomber, OR just unload forces on Morocco. Either way, USA can’t get it both at the same time, unless USA wants to sacrifise 2 transports standing alone outside Morocco waiting to die.

USA buy: besides factory on Alaska, they still have 27 IPC. I would buy more forces to pressure Japan since that’s easier that trying to take out Germany, which is a lot harder now. But I would still buy a transport and 1 tank on Eastern USA just to have something to unload again on Morocco. The rest on Western USA, transport, 1 ART and 1 INF.

• Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

• Must have been too good and the moderator is keeping it for himself. @AxisBrutality:

Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

• @wittman:

Must have been too good and the moderator is keeping it for himself. @AxisBrutality:

Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

LOL, maybe :) Ok, I’ll try to write it all over again, but not just in one post.

Russia . Western Russia should be taken out, however I would not take out Ukraine, because Russian armor risks of getting totally annihilated when it is G1 turn. Therefore Finland would be good to take out. Those are pretty much only moves Russia can do “safely”, without risking it’s armor or artilleries being destroyed in Ukraine. Also as someone mentioned above, there is no longer any “advantage” of taking out Ukraine and the German fighter since none of them now can reach Egypt.

Russia- buys 8 INF or 6 INF and 1 Armor.

Non combat moves - 2 INF should go to U.S held territories in China/Sinkiang. 2 INF towards Moscow. And 5 INF should form a “wall” against Japan.

Leningrad/Karelia - there is not much Russia can do here to prevent Germany taking it either way, so Russian player can choose if they want to build 2 INF there or not.

1. Germany

Attack UK Cruiser on Gibraltar with 3 FTR, 1 from Denmark, 1 Berlin and 1 from area east of Berlin.

Attack UK Destroyer/Transport outside Canada with 2 German sub

Attack UK Destroyer outside Syria with German Battleship and invade Syria with 1 INF and 1 ART and 1 Bomber

The rest of attacks should be easy to clear out Russia out of Finland, and there are 3 more available FTR to support German forces on Eastern front.

Germany buys - 1 Battleship, 1 Transport, 2 INF, 2 ART

These should be put on either Baltic Sea in order to threaten UK and Leningrad at the same time

OR

These same units can be put outside Italy, and threaten Egypt and Syria all the time. Both strategies allow Germany to strike brutally against Egypt OR Leningrad while scaring UK on G2 turn. Depends what you prefer out of these two.

If units are put outside Italy, UK forces in Egypt are blocked by 2 German units in Syria. UK will have to take back Syria in some way, using 1 INF from Iran and also forces from Egypt. This might make a UK player thing one more time before deciding on attacking Japanese fleet outside E.Indies since Germany would be able to attack Egypt ( and Syria once again ) on G2 with total of 8 units, bomber and 2 Battleships.

If you put forces on Baltic Sea, Leningrad will be basically impossible for Russia to hold, while UK will fear some kind of invasion. UK would have to expand their fleet or build more land and air units on UK. And there are at least 2 German sub threatening UK Battleship and transport on G2 which would force UK to build ships, which means no resources for India.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m