• The only reason I could see to maintain the bomber is to provide more flex in the air force, especially if the russians hit Ukraine and Germany loses the FTR.  As long as you see the CV as wasted money (not saying you said that)….

• @Hobbes:

Or, if the Ukraine fighter survived try to kill Egypt on G1 with 95% odds.

@Hobbes:

Germans lose 29 IPC and the ability to threaten Egypt on G1.

Note that the Ukraine fighter can not reach Egypt so killing it, or not, on R1 has no real impact on a G1 Egypt attack.

I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

• I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

Personally, I’d go G2 on Egypt…2 tanks, 3inf, 1art, 1BB and any FTRs (doubt it would be needed though).  Doubt a 2nd tank would be needed either (seeing how I expect the FTR to do battle in the E.Indies).

Africa is yours! :)

• @JamesG:

Note that the Ukraine fighter can not reach Egypt so killing it, or not, on R1 has no real impact on a G1 Egypt attack.

I’m not saying if an R1 Ukraine attack is bad or good, but hurting G1’s Egypt chances is not a factor in that analysis.

Thanks, I see it now, neither the fighter in Bul-Rom can reach it then.

It that case it becomes a question of stacking Egypt as mentioned above and the UK will have to choose to either stop the Germans on Africa or hit Japan.

The Japanese fleet off East Indies looks too tempting… but only has 64% odds

• Africa will hold for a little bit for Germany, especially with an extra bomber and FTRs in France w/subs to prevent retake by America.  Africa will be easier to cause damage for Germany because I feel the UK will want to trade pieces at E. Indies to help hold India.

• The Japanese fleet off East Indies looks too tempting… but only has 64% odds

“Never tell me the odds!”    8-)

• @Imperious:

1942 Basic Strategy:

Germany 41 IPC
    Builds: 1 CV ( Baltic), 9 infantry

1. Send both SS from #9 to attack #11
    2. Send both SS from Baltic to attack  #7 with Norway and Holland fighter
    3. Send fighter from Germany and Romania and attack UK CA in #14
    4. BB in #15 attacks UK DD in #17
    5. You got 2 fighters and 1 bomber for eastern front ( strategy based on Soviet moves)
    6. AP in # 15 lands tank and infantry in Libya

NCM: depends on Soviet turn, move African units toward Egypt
    Place CV in Medd to protect AP

United Kingdom 31 IPC
    Builds: fleet or factory ( depends on what Germany did on her turn)

1. All units out of Egypt ( providing it hasn�t been taken), Fighter to #37 with entire fleet from #35 and #39 to attack Japanese fleet at #37 (13 vs.14 Looking for exchange of pieces)

Japan 30 IPC
    Builds: 1 CV, 1 AP, 3 Infantry

Hello all,

I am new here, been Axis&Allies player for long time, and the newer the game is the better :) So I was really looking forward to this one.

Ok, these would be my opening terms.

I am not into Allies yet, as I like to play Axis, I always like to play the side that has the odds or time against them :)

As I understand the usual attack for Russia would be to take on Finland and Western Russia.  Attacking Ukraine instead off Finland is not a good idea if I might say, because all Russian armor would then be lost on G1, the Russian INF-shield is to low for Ukraine, artilleries and armor would be lost and Germany would lose 2 INF at most taking it back.

German opening move:

1. Strike Syria with 1 INF and 1 ART from Italy and use the Bomber from Berlin.  German Battleship takes out UK destroyer outside Syria.  Syria will then be taken by 1 German INF and 1 ART most probably.

2. Strike UK Cruiser outside Gibraltar, use 3 Fighters to do that, 1 from Denmark, 1 from Berlin and 1 from the area east of Berlin, ( can’t see what’s called but the Fighter is there )

3. Strike UK destroyer and transport outside Canada with 2 German subs

4. And of course, take back the area which Russia took, most probably Finland, it should be easy done with air support from Norway and Ukraine + Bulgaria/Romania. Consider taking Leningrad/Karelia at G1 turn, depends a little thought.

Land planes that attacked UK Cruiser at Gibraltar in France, 2 or 3 fighters.
    Move 1 INF and 1 ART from Algeria to Libya so that Germany has 2 INF, 1 ART and 1 Armor for G2 turn against Egypt. Move 1 INF from Morocco to Algeria.

Move 2 subs from Baltic fleet to the North Sea area between Norway and UK in order to threaten UK battleship and transport with Russian sub. This forces UK to expand this fleet, which give UK less resources to focus on India.

Germany buys: 1 Battleship, 1 transport, 2 INF and 2 ART

These can be put in either Baltic Sea in order to threaten UK even more with invasion and making Karelia look totally indefensible for Russia.

OR

These units can also be put between Italy and Libya in order to strenghten North-Africa and make Egypt-Syria area VERY HARD for UK to defend. If you choose this, then this means on G2, Germany can attack Egypt and Syria at the same time with total of 8 units + bomber, which landed on Libya after attacking Syria on G1. Not to mention the advantage of 2 German Battleships pounding Egypt-Syria shores before invasion with total of 8 units and bomber.

UK turn:

Depends on what Germany does, if Germany chooses to put those forces I bought for them in Baltic Sea or between Italy and Libya.  The point is anyway that UK will have to expand on the battleship outside UK. So I would buy a carrier and a transport for UK, that’s 21. Now UK has 10 IPC left. UK should consider 2 INF and 1 ART on UK if German fleet is in Baltic Sea. If German fleet is between Italy and Libya, then put 2 INF and 1 ART on India.

Attack: Take back Syria, there are most probably 1 German INF and 1 ART there. Something needs to be done, however UK has a problem since they are blocked by German forces in Syria, so UK can’t just blitz to Iran. What UK needs to do is to attack with 1 INF from Iran, 1 INF from Egypt and 1 ART from Egypt with 1 Armor from Egypt, there is no other way.

I am really not sure if UK should attack Japanese fleet outside E.Indies. This would mean some total collaps on Egypt-Syria border, remember what G2 will do on their turn, which is to attack with total of 8 units, 2 Battleships and 1 bomber. Losing a lot of boats against Japan , well decide on this yourself.

Japan turn:

Depends if the fleet is attacked in E.Indies or not, but either way, I would strike two U.S territories in China, not the one with the fighter but those two areas with 2 U.S. INF each. Attacking with 4 INF and 1 ART, 1 Fighter and the other one north of FIC, with 3 INF and 1 ART, 1 bomber.

Third attack would concentrate on taking out every Russian INF north of Manchuria. Plenty of Japanese resources for that.

Non-Combat Move - transport 1 INF and 1 ART from the Phillippines to FIC. And land all fighters available there, the one from carrier for example and another after China attack. Move Carrier and Cruiser outside FIC and maybe the battleship or 2 destroyers. This area should be safe from any UK2 attack.

Japan buys 1 factory, 1 transport, 1 armor and 1 INF. This would give Japan 3 transports to unload against the coast on J2 + 3 unit production factory which gives Japan total of 9 units or so on J2. And then on J2 I would start buying more naval units for Japan or air power or some combination of these two.

USA turn:

USA can take Solomon Islands and gather their fleet there. That is one option, however I would not do that. I would send entire fleet towards Alaska. It is clear that eastern parts of Russia bordering with Japan will need assistance and the best assistance would be from Alaska, it’s only 1 space from Soviet Far East.

I would buy factory on Alaska. That would give USA 2 units a round. In this order, USA can build up their fleet on Alaska, assisting Russia + threatening Japan all the time, which would keep Japanese fleet at Japan all the time. This allows USA to send forces to Russian territories, it’s the only way, and the fastest way. I don’t really see the point on attacking Phillipines on US2 when the primary goal is to stop Japanese attacks towards Russia and U.S. Chinese areas worth 4 IPC. So USA could have forces north of Manchuria on US2 instead of Phillipines.

The Atlantic, not much USA can do here besides landing 2 Fighters on UK carrier in order to protect it. However the USA has to make a choice, whether or not to strike those 2 German subs outside Canada with destroyer and fighters and a bomber, OR just unload forces on Morocco. Either way, USA can’t get it both at the same time, unless USA wants to sacrifise 2 transports standing alone outside Morocco waiting to die.

USA buy: besides factory on Alaska, they still have 27 IPC. I would buy more forces to pressure Japan since that’s easier that trying to take out Germany, which is a lot harder now. But I would still buy a transport and 1 tank on Eastern USA just to have something to unload again on Morocco. The rest on Western USA, transport, 1 ART and 1 INF.

• Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

• Must have been too good and the moderator is keeping it for himself. @AxisBrutality:

Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

• @wittman:

Must have been too good and the moderator is keeping it for himself. @AxisBrutality:

Hmm, what just happened? I posted a great opening moves reply, and my post was automatically marked as “spam” and removed :(

LOL, maybe :) Ok, I’ll try to write it all over again, but not just in one post.

Russia . Western Russia should be taken out, however I would not take out Ukraine, because Russian armor risks of getting totally annihilated when it is G1 turn. Therefore Finland would be good to take out. Those are pretty much only moves Russia can do “safely”, without risking it’s armor or artilleries being destroyed in Ukraine. Also as someone mentioned above, there is no longer any “advantage” of taking out Ukraine and the German fighter since none of them now can reach Egypt.

Russia- buys 8 INF or 6 INF and 1 Armor.

Non combat moves - 2 INF should go to U.S held territories in China/Sinkiang. 2 INF towards Moscow. And 5 INF should form a “wall” against Japan.

Leningrad/Karelia - there is not much Russia can do here to prevent Germany taking it either way, so Russian player can choose if they want to build 2 INF there or not.

1. Germany

Attack UK Cruiser on Gibraltar with 3 FTR, 1 from Denmark, 1 Berlin and 1 from area east of Berlin.

Attack UK Destroyer/Transport outside Canada with 2 German sub

Attack UK Destroyer outside Syria with German Battleship and invade Syria with 1 INF and 1 ART and 1 Bomber

The rest of attacks should be easy to clear out Russia out of Finland, and there are 3 more available FTR to support German forces on Eastern front.

Germany buys - 1 Battleship, 1 Transport, 2 INF, 2 ART

These should be put on either Baltic Sea in order to threaten UK and Leningrad at the same time

OR

These same units can be put outside Italy, and threaten Egypt and Syria all the time. Both strategies allow Germany to strike brutally against Egypt OR Leningrad while scaring UK on G2 turn. Depends what you prefer out of these two.

If units are put outside Italy, UK forces in Egypt are blocked by 2 German units in Syria. UK will have to take back Syria in some way, using 1 INF from Iran and also forces from Egypt. This might make a UK player thing one more time before deciding on attacking Japanese fleet outside E.Indies since Germany would be able to attack Egypt ( and Syria once again ) on G2 with total of 8 units, bomber and 2 Battleships.

If you put forces on Baltic Sea, Leningrad will be basically impossible for Russia to hold, while UK will fear some kind of invasion. UK would have to expand their fleet or build more land and air units on UK. And there are at least 2 German sub threatening UK Battleship and transport on G2 which would force UK to build ships, which means no resources for India.

• UK turn - depends on where Germany put their units, Italy or the Baltic Sea.

If German forces are put on Italy, this means a massive collapse for the UK in Egypt and Syria when Germany starts their 2nd turn. On Germany’s 1st turn, Syria is taken by most probably 2 German units. UK needs to take this back.

Now UK player should decide themselves if they want to waste a lot of resources on attacking Japanese fleet on E.Indies while UK is experiencing a collapse on Egypt/Syria/Suez borders.

UK can attack the German Cruiser in the Baltic Sea if German units are put on Italy. Although UK risks losing a FTR just like Germany risks on FTR against UK Cruiser on Gibraltar.

UK has only 1 Transport, and I can’t see where UK should go with that and a Battleship. They could attack Norway, however UK ships would get in the range of most German fighters and subs + bomber on G2 turn even though UK expands their fleet, still it would be very volunable.

UK buys either a 1 carrier, 1 transport, 1 ART and 2 INF.  1 ART and 2 INF could be placed on India if German units are placed on Italy, if they are placed in the Baltic Sea, then more units are definitely needed on London.

• @AxisBrutality:

LOL, maybe :) Ok, I’ll try to write it all over again, but not just in one post.

Russia . Western Russia should be taken out, however I would not take out Ukraine, because Russian armor risks of getting totally annihilated when it is G1 turn. Therefore Finland would be good to take out.

I still say Ukraine is a good option if you only send 2 ARM because of how it protects both West Russia and Caucasus on G1. Otherwise you’ll risk losing either one if you attack Finland.

Why I say this? If you send 9 INF, 2 ART and 4 ARM you should lose at least 2 INF, leaving 13 units to defend W Russia, plus any AAs. Germany can send 6 INF, 1 ART, 4 ARM and the entire Luftwaffe to crush West Russia (+90% odds, and the new AA rules reduce the risk), while retaking Finland and securing Karelia for later production.

Or, in case the Soviets get lucky and don’t lose units, Germany takes Caucasus, since Russia can only leave 7 units at the most and Germany can attack with 9 ground units (with the transport), plus planes.

Russia can’t secure both Caucasus and West Russia on G1 with a Finland/West Russia attack on R1. It needs to attack either Belorussia (which also makes more sense to earn 2 IPC rather than 1 IPC on Finland) to limit the danger to West Russia/Caucasus on G1 or take out Ukraine completely on R1.

• Japanese turn:

No matter if Japanese fleet is attacked or not by the UK, Japan still have options.

Attack the two U.S. held territories which have 2 U.S. INF each. Central China territory held by 2 U.S. INF is attacked by 4 Japanese INF and 1 Fighter.

North of FIC, is attacked by 3 INF and 2 ART and 1 fighter from FIC.

Third and final attack should be against Russian INF north of Manchuria if they are there and not further back. Plenty of resources to attack 2-3-4 Russian INF.

Japan should move their carrier and cruiser to FIC + 2 destroyers, so this area should be safe from any UK2 turn attack. Move 1 INF from Singapore to FIC + use 1 transport from Japan to take with you 1 INF and 1 ART from the Phillippines to FIC. Move 1 sub to the Phillipines.

Japan buys 1 factory which can be placed on Manchuria + buy 1 transport, 1 INF and 1 ART, save 1 IPC.

Japan should be able then to send total of 6 units into China or Russia or further down to FIC on J2 turn. Also 3 units can be built on J2 turn on Manchuria, that is total of 9 units going to the East-Asia on J2.

• @Hobbes:

@AxisBrutality:

Russia . Western Russia should be taken out, however I would not take out Ukraine, because Russian armor risks of getting totally annihilated when it is G1 turn. Therefore Finland would be good to take out.

I still say Ukraine is a good option if you only send 2 ARM because of how it protects both West Russia and Caucasus on G1. Otherwise you’ll risk losing either one if you attack Finland.

Why I say this? If you send 9 INF, 2 ART and 4 ARM you should lose at least 2 INF, leaving 13 units to defend W Russia, plus any AAs. Germany can send 6 INF, 1 ART, 4 ARM and the entire Luftwaffe to crush West Russia (+90% odds, and the new AA rules reduce the risk), while retaking Finland and securing Karelia for later production.

Or, in case the Soviets get lucky and don’t lose units, Germany takes Caucasus, since Russia can only leave 7 units at the most and Germany can attack with 9 ground units (with the transport), plus planes.

Russia can’t secure both Caucasus and West Russia on G1 with a Finland/West Russia attack on R1. It needs to attack either Belorussia (which also makes more sense to earn 2 IPC rather than 1 IPC on Finland) to limit the danger to West Russia/Caucasus on G1 or take out Ukraine completely on R1.

Yes, I somewhat agree, but the cost for Russia is too high, they start losing armor, and now armos cost 6 IPC. Russia is considerably weaker this time around because, they can’t defend both Leningrad and Stalingrad, they have fewer men to start with and as mentioned, armor does cost more now. I would not attack Caucasus anyway, because as you can see, I would rather take out most of the UK ships and attack Syria, with minimal losses. They I can choose to focus on either the Baltic Sea or Italy , but either way, most pressure will be put on Leningrad and not Caucasus.

• USA turn -

They can’t attack much, except 2 German subs outside Canada and Solomon Islands. The U.S. has to decide, if they should attack those 2 German subs, or unload forces in Morocco. USA can’t do both at the same time.

Instead of attacking Solomon Islands which are worthless anyway, I would rather move P-Harbour fleet and West-USA fleet towards Alaska.

USA buys 1 factory in Alaska, this is in order to put pressure on Japan + Russia is only 1 space from there, USA could more easely ship forces into Russia to support them, instead of planning on how to take the Phillipines and strech forces to much and too far from West-USA.

Move the U.S fighter in China to Yakut SSR so it can land on U.S. Carrier on US2 turn.

Move the U.S. fighter from Eastern U.S. and land it on UK Carrier.

Besides buying factory in Alaska, a U.S. player should focus more on Japan, or else UK can’t hold it alone with India. Therefore factory on Alaska puts pressure on Japan from the north, sends U.S. forces to Russia a lot faster than going the Pacific route.

• @Hobbes:

@AxisBrutality:

Have to agree with Hobbes here…and if your German player intends on buying a BB, its even MORE reason to take Ukraine….I see where the BB can help, but that’s 20 IPCs that could go to destroying Russia…you’re going to end up with a stack of Russians (R2) that you’ll never be able to eliminate in time.

• @AxisBrutality:

USA turn -

They can’t attack much, except 2 German subs outside Canada and Solomon Islands. The U.S. has to decide, if they should attack those 2 German subs, or unload forces in Morocco. USA can’t do both at the same time.
    Instead of attacking Solomon Islands which are worthless anyway, I would rather move P-Harbour fleet and West-USA fleet towards Alaska.
    USA buys 1 factory in Alaska, this is in order to put pressure on Japan + Russia is only 1 space from there, USA could more easely ship forces into Russia to support them, instead of planning on how to take the Phillipines and strech forces to much and too far from West-USA.
    Move the U.S fighter in China to Yakut SSR so it can land on U.S. Carrier on US2 turn.
    Move the U.S. fighter from Eastern U.S. and land it on UK Carrier.
    Besides buying factory in Alaska, a U.S. player should focus more on Japan, or else UK can’t hold it alone with India. Therefore factory on Alaska puts pressure on Japan from the north, sends U.S. forces to Russia a lot faster than going the Pacific route.

Your moves are easily counterable and the factory is a giant waste of money, and goes out the window if J1 a CV is built, your Alaskan defense force is up against 2(1s), 2(2s) 5(3s), 2(4s)…J2 has 98.5% win, and if they want to be true a$$holes, they could take it possibly from you……good luck coming back from that catastrophe.

• silly me…I left out the Japanese sub…change that to 99.6% chance of victory for Japan…but I’m sure you’ll get some lucky rolls  :wink:

• Have to agree with Hobbes here…and if your German player intends on buying a BB, its even MORE reason to take Ukraine….I see where the BB can help, but that’s 20 IPCs that could go to destroying Russia…you’re going to end up with a stack of Russians (R2) that you’ll never be able to eliminate in time.

–----------------------------------------------------------
    Point is, I don’t need to get rid of Russians, the only thing Germany has to do is to take Karelia, keep it, secure it’s northern flank and threaten UK. OR have total control in Libya, Algeria, Egypt and Syria, which is essential, and I can still threaten Caucasus.

1 BB means Germany having 2 BB in Italy or 1 Cruiser and 1 BB in the Baltic Sea, so another Battleship sthrengtens already existing Naval Forces of Germany in either Italy or the Baltic Sea, which gives Germany either way a potent Naval force with 2 transports which means they can send 4 units whereever they want to with all the air power and battleships all along. That is a potent naval force.

I can agree on taking out Belarus instead of Finland of course, so that is no problem. But even 2 Armor lost in Ukraine, means 50% or all Russian armor LOST. � That German fighter there can’t be used against Egypt or Syria anyway, because Germany can take out Syria easy with the strategy I suggested. It is extremely easy for Germany to take Ukraine back, risking losing 2 INF at most. 50% of Russian armor which is 2 out of 4 tanks is wiped out and the same goes for 1 Russian ART which is 33% or Russian artilleries since they start with total of 3, which degrades Russian offencive capability.

• Your moves are easily counterable and the factory is a giant waste of money, and goes out the window if J1 a CV is built, your Alaskan defense force is up against 2(1s), 2(2s) 5(3s), 2(4s)…J2 has 98.5% win, and if they want to be true a$$holes, they could take it possibly from you……good luck coming back from that catastrophe.

–------------------------------------------------
    I will have to disagree, this is only true in the case of Japan moving ALL ships to Japan, of course, leaving FIC totally “naked” to the UK invasion, which I don’t think is a good idea at all.

Of course, if you play that way, US can build a lot stronger force on it’s 1st turn and still send forces to Russia one turn later, FIC being left alone to defend itself against India and Burma with huge UK fleet present there, not a good idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m