• Hi There,

Just bought AA Pacific and still working my way through the rules. One thing I’m not getting is resolving a sub surprise strike.  For example if I have 2 subs attacking a cruiser and a carrier and none of my rolls score a hit, does that mean 1) the enemy can now see me and roll defence die or 2) do I remain unseen as there are no destroyers present?  If scenario 2) then it seems I can just keep rolling until I score a hit.

Just seems a little unclear to me.  Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

• '17 '16 '15

Hi Mikeldalts

#1 would be correct. What the DD does is negate the Subs “First Strike”. So if no DD present and Sub gets a hit, the unit hit can’t fire back. If DD is present it can.

I’m sure Panther or someone else will explain it better. : )

Welcome to the Forum

• Welcome to the forum, Mikeldalts.  :-)

@Mikeldalts:

Just bought AA Pacific and still working my way through the rules. One thing I’m not getting is resolving a sub surprise strike.  For example if I have 2 subs attacking a cruiser and a carrier and none of my rolls score a hit, does that mean 1) the enemy can now see me and roll defence die or 2) do I remain unseen as there are no destroyers present?  If scenario 2) then it seems I can just keep rolling until I score a hit.

The decision to attack with your submarines is a decision to expose them to defending unit’s fire, provided there are defending units surviving the surprise strike.
    An enemy destroyer cancels the “surprise strike ability”. Also if there was an enemy destroyer present, the sub would never have the choice to submerge instead of attack.

So in your scenario you cannot attack and then submerge before the enemy returns fire. The decision to either submerge or attack is made before any dice are rolled.

• Thanks guys.  Just didn’t seem clear to me via the rulebook what would happen in a surprise strike situation if the subs didn’t actually score a hit.  Makes sense that, if they chose to attack, this would make them visible to a counter.

Looking forward to many a game.

Thanks again.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m