• No they begin attacks against japan on turn 3 as per the rules. DOW is not after the movement phases.

• AAP40 Rulebook

Page 8

The Political Situation

Third paragraph from the bottom -

“The U.S. cannot attack Japan, disrupt Japanese convoys, or move units into China until Japan provokes war with the U.S. (see above) or the U.S. declares war on Japan, whichever comes first.  If the U.S. is not yet at war with Japan by the Collect Income phase of its third turn, it will declare war on Japan at that time.
      When the U.S. enters a state of war with Japan, whether due to Japanese aggression or its own declaration, its income is immediately increased by 40 IPCs (bring it to 50 IPCs) to reflect its wartime economy.  It can then attack Japan in its next Combat Move phase.”

Page 10
    Order of Play
    #1. Japan
    #2 United States

Page 10
    Turn Sequence
    #2. Combat Move
    #6. Collect Income

If Japan does not do an Allied attack on J3, then on US3; the US may not attack Japan.
    This delays a US attack on Japan until US4.

• @Tavenier:

I am convinced Japan should attack on J1. You can’t let the Brits and Aussies take the Dutch Indies and grab their bonuses for turn after turn.

But on topic:
    Everybody can declare war, except US, right? They have to wait until turn 3 or until Japs attack, right?

if they grab east indies, you can whack their transports and malaya (where do UK troops come from?)

• ok got it.

• I agree with Japan invites the US into war rd1. Kill Phil (US), Kwang (UK), and start invading China. I did this as Japan (we are in the 4rd rd) and it seems to be working. I have also moved into some of the Dutch Isles. It messes up the allies NO’s while you start to get yours. I placed a minor IC on Kwang (which also comes w/NB) to help with the China/UK push. The UK attacked some planes I had left alone in China (ouch) but it ended up costing UK there tiny fleet. I haven’t done much about the Anzac, and they are growing their air force. US has now moved to Hawaii (rather large force), but I am building an AB on Okinawa (and will def til the death), where I have about 1/3 of my fleet (the rest not to far) with a bunch of ftrs to scramble with my new AB. If the US attacks, I can live with the damage because it’s mostly my cheap ships (1/3 of my fleet), and will take him longer to recover even w/income boost.

Attacking the US rd1 kills a lot of US units (Phil), and doesn’t handy cap what you can do to UK/Dutch. The US still starts with 17 IPC on its first turn. US gets the 40 IPC bonus in its collect income phase (end of its turn). Rd2 US buys units w/new income (about 55 IPC’s lost Phil) and mob. It doesn’t  really get the full benefit until its 3rd turn as far as accusal units on the board that it can use. The best part about attacking US/UK rd1 is you can throw all the political rules out the window, because they no longer apply. Both sides have made mistakes, but were having a great time exploring.

• There is not a single US unit, aside from the transport at Pearl, that you can hit J1 that you would be unable to strike J2.

With proper positioning of your fleet, there is no where for the UK fleet to hide from a J2 strike either, other than perhaps SZ 59, and if they go after the indies you can smash there transports anyway.

What is with this obsession with a J1 attack, it is about as brilliant as the all armor for G buys that were unbeatable, for about a week.  The war rules encourage a cat and mouse game, where the allies and japan try to draw each other into attacking by exposing valuable units.  A J1 attack will end in axis defeat once the allies know how to play.

• [[/quote]page 8 “when the U.S. enters a state of war with Japan its income is immediately increased by 40 ipc to reflect its wartime economy”.
    So I believe U.S. would be able to spend that extra money its next turn. It doesn’t say you have to wait till your collect income phase.

• @Llordbone:

page 8 “when the U.S. enters a state of war with Japan its income is immediately increased by 40 ipc to reflect its wartime economy”.
    So I believe U.S. would be able to spend that extra money its next turn. It doesn’t say you have to wait till your collect income phase.

I’m 99% positive that that is NOT how you would interpret the rules.  It’s income increases 40 IPCs, but you don’t COLLECT that increased income till the end of your phase.  Until then your “industry” has not has sufficient time to gear up and enlist.

• See Q and Frontovik above.

The USA can not attack until it’s round 4.

Look at the wording of the war rule and how & when income is calculated.

Confirmed at Harris Game Design:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2112

• Vareel,
    I did mention we were exploring different tactics. I have seen Japan be very patient trying to get UK to attack them. This game I wanted to see how things worked out w/aggressive Japan. You are 100% right the learning curve for the allies is normally much longer. We still haven’t had time to finish this game (past rd #4) so it might even turn out to be a bad strat this game, but for now things seem to be going my way. Both sides have made mistakes (to be expected). I never said it was a fool proof always win axis tactic. I can see the pro’s/con’s of a patient vs aggressive Japan. I think the best part about AA games is the first couple of games you play, nothing is scripted.

• Thats right Vareel, and this game is less scriptet that anyone before, because now you got so many political options, since the Allies are not automatically in the war from turn 1.

• @General:

One more thought.

If Japan does not attack any Allied Power through Japan’s first three turns it’s possible, although very unlikely, that it will only be at war with United States at that point.  If Britain/ANZAC refuse to commence hostilities against Japan and Japan does not attack them or the Dutch either, only the U.S.A and China would be at war with Japan come round 3.

My point is… maybe the British/ANZAC player should be patient (if possible) and let Japan attack first– because a Japanese attack automatically brings America and its huge income into the war, too.

If Britain and/or ANZAC attack Japan first, Japan can retaliate without provoking the U.S, therefore limiting the U.S IPC income until round three.

I couldn’t agree more!

• @General:

One more thought. 
    If Britain/ANZAC refuse to commence hostilities against Japan and Japan does not attack them or the Dutch either, only the U.S.A and China would be at war with Japan come round 3.

Then UK will collect 41 IPC and ANZAC will collect 15 IPC. I would not sleep safe as Japan. I would not be very rich either, since there are not many money to collect in China or the american islands.

• Does that mean it’s thinkable (I know it’s not logical, smart, wise and/or strategic at all) that UK & ANZAC are not going to war during the hole game?? When USA attacks, Japan can retaliate without provoking UK & ANZAC . Correct?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m