• '10

Played a game with the New Alpha set-up (Which I like alot!)

I was playing Germany and Italy and the New IC in southern France made me rethink an old move.  Usually Italy takes southern France…  But now with the minor IC I allowed Germany to take Southern France on the Second turn.

I compensated Italy by giving them all the Balkan Neutrals (which I softened up for them).

The small French force was able to make a weak and ineffectual counter attack on their turn that came to no effect anyway.

Giving Germany Southern France opened up new options for German participation in the Med and in Africa.  Italy was no longer “Alone” down there are German Subs etc could easily be launched.  In addition, should Northern Italy be threatened or taken by the Allies, it gave Germany two attack vectors from minor ICs.

Just thought I would share.

• '10

Haven’t played with .2 yet.  I usually leave S. France for the Italians as well, but  a Kraut factory in the Med is pretty big.  Probably a good call.

• thanks for this. now i must try it. it seems that it would be a big help for the italians in the med.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

What did you end up actually building out of that factory?

seems like a waste of time to me… :S  Don’t get me wrong, I agree it can’t really hurt you, but I fail to see how it really helps you.

• '10

@Gargantua:

seems like a waste of time to me… :S  Don’t get me wrong, I agree it can’t really hurt you, but I fail to see how it really helps you.

I built two German subs, so it was an alternative launch point for U-boats other than Normandy Coast.

I also built a transport so I could move 2 INF to Africa, it helped the Italians and eventually got me my NO for unit in Egypt.

If the Med had heated up early, I could have done alot more also.  More OPTIONS are open to Germany in the Med with this move.

• it seems that this is the way that the Afrika Corps can finally get to Africa. also as FMGs pointed out, a U-boat base, which could potentially hurt the British med fleet if deployed correctly. also it allows you to finally give some med support to the italians besides a few planes that always eventually get redeployed to the Russian front.

• The Southern France and the Normandy IC owned by Germany is great.  Germany can build 6 subs on the horn to hold of USA for an extra turn. (6 subs and your airforce will keep USA at bay for a turn unless they have spent a great deal of their income on the Alantic side pre-war). This also gives Italy an extra turn to get in position to help with the effort.  The last game I played I took all of France on the first turn and then used some of the plunder ipcs to build the sub fleet.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

I tried this and it’s working out for me. I’ve used it to get the Afrika corps into Egypt and beyond. It’s a nice to have the option to be able to send Germans to Africa independent of the Italians. I also agree with being able to support the defence of the Med.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I truely enjoy giving Germany the NO in S. France.  And I do not compensate Italy for their loss.  The very idea of being able to put German ships into the Med to reinforce the Italians makes me feel giddy.

Anyway, lately, I have been giving all of Europe to Germany, let Italy take the south.  With the new NOs, Italy has no purpose being in Europe anyway, they fair much better down south in North Africa.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

@Gargantua:

I built two German subs, so it was an alternative launch point for U-boats other than Normandy Coast.

I also built a transport so I could move 2 INF to Africa, it helped the Italians and eventually got me my NO for unit in Egypt.

If the Med had heated up early, I could have done alot more also.  More OPTIONS are open to Germany in the Med with this move.

I agree with your reasons for Germany taking the free IC in S. France. It not only gives Germany access to N. Africa but they can send reinforcements to Gibraltar after Italy takes it. Closing off the Med. for the axis es muy importante!

And, as a corollary, they can have an easier time sending a man to Egypt for the NO.

• From my limited AAG40 experience i can say this much: I think it’s not a bad idea in itself to have a G. IC on the Med for emergency purposes but I think the sole focus in turns 1-6 should be Russia. Germany should be spending at least 40 IPC a turn on the Russian front by churning out tanks and mechs in Romania and Ukraine and take Moscow asap or it will ultimately be locked in on all 3 sides of the board. So “hobbies” like building a G. fleet in the Med, trying to get exotic NO’s and preparing Sealion may look good when you are still your own boss in Europe, but are keeping you from where you really need to be acting - Russia

• @FieldMarshalGames:

But now with the minor IC I allowed Germany to take Southern France on the Second turn.

I agree this is an excellent move, but why wait ? Now you start with 4 Mech in Western Germany and 2 Tanks in Southern Germany that may reach Southern France through Italy. Togheter with a lot of aircrafts, you may now hit the two French units in Southern France with insane mighty force in Turn 1. Then you place 3 subs there in Turn 2.

• Customizer

I tend to agree with Piet Hein.  While having an IC on the Med would be nice for giving Germany some extra options, Germany really shouldn’t be spending money on stuff to put in the Med or Africa when they really need to be pouring units into Russia, or maybe a Sealion if the opportunity presents itself.  In our games, once Barbarossa commences, almost all of Germany’s money is funneled into that effort with a little to buy infantry to defend the Western European territories and maybe a sub or two to harass British convoys.

• '10

@knp7765:

I tend to agree with Piet Hein.  While having an IC on the Med would be nice for giving Germany some extra options, Germany really shouldn’t be spending money on stuff to put in the Med or Africa when they really need to be pouring units into Russia, or maybe a Sealion if the opportunity presents itself.  In our games, once Barbarossa commences, almost all of Germany’s money is funneled into that effort with a little to buy infantry to defend the Western European territories and maybe a sub or two to harass British convoys.

I normally leave some offensive units in western Europe to counter attack Normandy landings. Plus infantry for fodder to protect my more expensive units. The part I like most about the German alpha+2 setup is the extra infantry. They are a great asset for Barbarossa.

I doubt I would split my forces up that much.  Why take S. France on Round 1?  I’d rather be decisive in SZ 110, SZ 111, SZ 112, Paris and Yugoslavia on Germany 1.

• '10

@Cmdr:

I doubt I would split my forces up that much.  Why take S. France on Round 1?  I’d rather be decisive in SZ 110, SZ 111, SZ 112, Paris and Yugoslavia on Germany 1.

No need to take S. France on G1. It will still be there on G2 and can be taken with units left from the Normandy and paris battles.

• Customizer

If Germany doesn’t take S. France on G1, wouldn’t Italy take it on I1?  That’s what usually happens in my games.  What else would Italy do with 2 inf, 2 art and 1 arm that they start out with on N. Italy?

If you are controlling Italy and Germany, it would really be up to you if you want Italy to take it.

In my opinion, however, I feel it is best to leave it French for a round and let Germany take it with whatever it has left in Paris since it gives them an Industrial right in the Med.  However, there is a strong argument that the IC is not necessary and one can, and should, be built in Yugoslavia for reinforcements to the SouthEast European Front and to put ships in the water directly into the Italian fleet in SZ 95.

• Customizer

@Cmdr:

If you are controlling Italy and Germany, it would really be up to you if you want Italy to take it.

In my opinion, however, I feel it is best to leave it French for a round and let Germany take it with whatever it has left in Paris since it gives them an Industrial right in the Med.  However, there is a strong argument that the IC is not necessary and one can, and should, be built in Yugoslavia for reinforcements to the SouthEast European Front and to put ships in the water directly into the Italian fleet in SZ 95.

Yeah, in this case, saving S. France for Germany would basically be saving them the 12 IPCs for building an IC in Yugoslavia.  Depending on how the game/war is going, Germany could really need those 12 IPCs.
    Except for putting a couple of fighters in S. Italy on G1 to help protect the Italian fleet, I usually leave the Med and Africa to the Italians.  Usually Germany is too busy with England and preparing for Barbarossa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m