• i second the battle of greece

• I have looked around a lot online and can’t find a very good pre-made map of the area, can anyone make one?

• I haven’t checked their website but the Hellenic Military Geographical Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Military_Geographical_Service) might have something useful.

• This might help but the map would have to have the names of the territories changed, moved, and shrunken, additionally it might be good to have a map of a slightly larger area,maybe something with southern Italy and Malta good find though.

http://web.gys.gr/GeoSearch_EN/

• here is a rough copy of a map i made for the game, it is based of a battle of Greece scenario, comments anybody?  :-D 8-) :?

• ok the picture doesn’t load try the media fire link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?b5t5xw2gdqddup8

remember this is a rough copy and lots of work is still needed, please comment and help improve this project. 8-)

• I’ve only had time for a quick look at the map, but here are a couple of suggestions:

• There are two areas labeled “S. Pelopennese”  The northern one should be “N.”

• The black typefont on the yellow part of the map looks fine, but I’d advise using white or yellow type on the dark-coloured territoires to increase legibility.

• ok I will post an updated map later today, other then those two errors though what did you think?

• I’ll have a closer look later today – duty calls.

• http://www.mediafire.com/?6w79o1w755r6yps

Here is the new corrected link, there is still a lot to get done but its getting better, anyone else have some input?

• The size is good for the kind of “mini” A&A game being considered: 16 territories (I’m including the Aegean Islands, but excluding neutral Turkey) and 20 sea zones.  Enough space for decent maneuvering, while at the same time compact enough to keep things simple and short, plus ample opportunity for both land and naval actions (with air support in both areas).

A couple of typos: “Centreal” rather than Central Greece, and “Agean” rather than Aegean.  And I think the Albanian capital is supposed to be spelled Tirana.

In terms of the rules, a good approach might be to have four nations: the Greeks and the British on one side, and the Germans and Italians on the other.  That way, the basic two-player game could potentially be stretched into a three-player or four-player one which could perhaps serve as a miniature introduction (for new players) to what a multi-player game like Global 1940 is like.  Four is a manageable number at this scale.  The Bulgarians participated in the Battle of Greece, but adding them would complicate matters unnecessarily, as would splitting the Commonwealth forces into U.K. and ANZAC components.

Anyway, looks good so far, and the revised map improves nicely on the first version.

• Thanks Mark you have a lot of good ideas, I am fixing the spelling errors now, I agree with the ideas on powers having Germany and Italy vs Commonwealth and Greece, in addition special rules may add for a bulgarian unit or two and the possibility of Yugoslavia involvement.  With the map being the way it is it would be hard to do this as an economy based game but doing a re-enforcment game like BOTB subtracts an element from the game, I was thinking of providing units on a point system but more on that later.  As for game components I am thinking of making a 12x12 map and printing in on adhesive paper like a sticker so it can be adhered to a piece of sheet metal, then all the pieces would have magnets fastened to the bottoms of them, I am then going to make two boxes that can hold pieces for the axis and for the allies and modify a FMG custom dice tower with a plexi-glass door on the tray area to keep dice from coming out.  As for piece types I am still working on a list.

whew, thats all for now, I will have some more done this weekend once finals are over.

• @spartan:

With the map being the way it is it would be hard to do this as an economy based game

Agreed.  The historical Battle of Greece lasted just a few weeks, so it would be unrealistic to have income-collection and unit-building phases.

It occurs to me that there might be two ways of handling the presence of Crete.  One way would be to restrict the game just to the mainland phase of the Battle of Greece.  The other would be to include the Battle of Crete, perhaps using special paratrooper rules and maybe also allowing for the possibility of an amphibious landing.  The second approach sounds more interesting.  At any rate, the Battle of Greece ended with an evacuation by sea of British forces from Greece, which can be seen as an amphibious landing in reverse.  Maybe one of the rules could be that, if the British and Greek forces fail in their primary objective of preventing the German and Italian conquest of Greece (as will probably be the case if the rules depict the situation realistically), the secondary objective on the British-Greek side would be to hold back the enemy long enough to permit the Commonwealth forces to evacuate in large numbers.  This would allow the incorporation into the mini-game of the concept of having different victory conditions, like in the full-scale A&A games.

• Reinforcement cards are the way to go in a game like this - remove the economic equation completely.

• Yes I agree, however I am thinking of doing a point system to determine how many, and when, you get your troops, more on the later.  :|

• Newest version now ready, still have a few spelling errors and discoloring in Turkey will be fixed in next version. :-(

http://www.mediafire.com/?4n6scpgcp5duqnf  :-)

• Here is the intro I wrote for the rulebook, thoughts anybody?

"It is fall of 1940 and the Axis war machine is driving across Europe, yet to see defeat.  France, Poland, Norway, and Denmark have all fallen under German and Italian control.  By mid 1940 Germany had seen great military success where Italy had little to its name other then its puppet state of Albania.  Eager to prove himself to Hitler, Mussolini issued an ultimatum to the Greek Prime Minister, Ioannis  Metaxas, demanding free passage through Greece, access to un-named strategic points, and annexation of the Aegean Islands. Metaxas refused these demands saying “Alors, c’est la guerre”, French for, “Then, it’s war.”.  Within hours Italy started attacking Greece from Albania, the Balkan’s Campaign had begun.”
    :-D

• @spartan:

Here is the intro I wrote for the rulebook, thoughts anybody?

I like it.  It sets the stage nicely, I think.

A few editorial suggestions:

“It is fall of 1940 and the Axis war machine is driving across Europe, yet to see defeat.”

Technically, the Axis forces weren’t driving anywhere in Europe in the fall of 1940.  Hitler was stuck at the English Channel and was losing the Battle of Britain.  Italy wasn’t moving either.  It would be better to refer to the Axis war machine having overrun most of Europe, or having made itself the master of Continental Europe.

“France, Poland, Norway, and Denmark have all fallen under German and Italian control.”

It would be better to just say German control.  Italy had only taken a small bite out of southern France, and to my knowledge it had no troops whatsoever in Poland, Norway, and Denmark.

“where Italy had little to its name”

’ whereas ’

“the Balkan’s Campaign had begun.”

’ Balkans ’

• thanks for the grammar editorial I will post the first half of the rule book later today.

• If you don’t mind, I’ll start another forum to try my hand at the East African Campaign.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m