• Tiger - Time is the question here….if you only have so much time, stick with AA42 or AA50.  If you have a place to setup the game and leave it, so you can play the game over a couple of different sessions, I HIGHLY recommend AAG40.  The first couple of times you play it can be daunting, but the strategies are so much more varied and the board/pcs are fantastic!  I think Imperious Leader has the right idea, (except for the buying 6 copies part…) buy AAE40 to get used to it, and make your decision from that point…

Have fun!

• @jeffdestroyer:

@Flying:

Convince me. I liked Revised. AA50 gave me that little bit of extra dimension that I wanted without going overboard with too many units and rules to follow. Global40 seems almost as if there is too much complications(rules). I don’t particularly love the “if a fighter is matched up with a tank…blah blah blah”. Look I know I can easily learn the rules but every time a new “global” game comes out a little more is added to the game. The last thing I want is for it to turn into one of those Avalon hill games with a paper map and paper counters with tons of charts and sh*t. Those games sucked.

So could someone just give me a summary of the differences between AA50 and G40? Convoy zones etc…
    Or should I just say F it and just spend the $120?

I have been trying to write the rule changes from AA50 on a single page for my friends.  I think it can be done.  I am sure someone is working on it.  There are a lot of one line answers to most questions.

I created a one pager for my playgroup. Currently pending review at BGG…

• @Flying:

Convince me. I liked Revised. AA50 gave me that little bit of extra dimension that I wanted without going overboard with too many units and rules to follow. Global40 seems almost as if there is too much complications(rules). I don’t particularly love the “if a fighter is matched up with a tank…blah blah blah”. Look I know I can easily learn the rules but every time a new “global” game comes out a little more is added to the game. The last thing I want is for it to turn into one of those Avalon hill games with a paper map and paper counters with tons of charts and sh*t. Those games sucked.

So could someone just give me a summary of the differences between AA50 and G40? Convoy zones etc…

Spend the 120 someplace else

• Stop being so cheap, just buy the game, I tell you, spend the extra money and get what you really want.

• @Razor:

Stop being so cheap, just buy the game, I tell you, spend the extra money and get what you really want.
    @Plasticdeathbydice:

Tiger - Time is the question here….if you only have so much time, stick with AA42 or AA50.  If you have a place to setup the game and leave it, so you can play the game over a couple of different sessions, I HIGHLY recommend AAG40.  The first couple of times you play it can be daunting, but the strategies are so much more varied and the board/pcs are fantastic!  I think Imperious Leader has the right idea, (except for the buying 6 copies part…) buy AAE40 to get used to it, and make your decision from that point…

Have fun!

What they said!!!
    by the way ,IL, why do you need 6 copies of this game

• why do you need 6 copies of this game

I have 6 cats.

• Just play a few PBF games online with AABattlemap and convince yourself its worth the purchase.  (I can’t really play the game in RL myself, it just takes too damn long to actually sit down and play over a FEW DAYS TO A WEEK TO FINISH A GAME.)

• How’s this to convince you:

IT’S WORTH EVERY PENNY! GET PACIFIC AND EUROPE!

On a more serious note: the additional rules are nothing to gawk at. I have several friends who play it avidly and have ADD, and become hooked for hours.

• Players with ADD? WOW, that must be an experience :roll:
    I had a friend who sounded really interested in playing so I had him over one night for a game. he is reasonably intellegent but could not grasp the game. Was trying to move the wrong pieces and whatnot. At one point I was like, “dude, what are you doing!?” turns out he said he was COLOR BLIND and would that make a difference!!! :-o

• one bad thing is it takes up a lot of room.  a LOT of room.  but if you like aa50, this is great.  a little deeper, a little more rules, but a lot of fun.  and it does take a long time to finish.

• I thought for sure I would getting hammered by you guys today. That is not the case. Thanks for all the good, level headed replies. Of course I’m going to get it, I always was. How can I resist? If I am on this board, I am a big fan. I wanted to see if anyone thought it was too overwhelming. I absolutely love AA50 but G40 scares me a bit.

• @lnmajor:

Players with ADD? WOW, that must be an experience :roll:
    I had a friend who sounded really interested in playing so I had him over one night for a game. he is reasonably intellegent but could not grasp the game. Was trying to move the wrong pieces and whatnot. At one point I was like, “dude, what are you doing!?” turns out he said he was COLOR BLIND and would that make a difference!!! :-o

It was. It’s not like ADD severely affects everyone. It’s major for some, minor for others.

• @Woodstock:

@jeffdestroyer:

@Flying:

I have been trying to write the rule changes from AA50 on a single page for my friends.  I think it can be done.  I am sure someone is working on it.  There are a lot of one line answers to most questions.

I created a one pager for my playgroup. Currently pending review at BGG…

Alright, since BGG isnt that fast: I have attached my one pager (which are actully 3) with all the most important rules and unit characteristics to this post

A&A.doc

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Flying:

I thought for sure I would getting hammered by you guys today. That is not the case. Thanks for all the good, level headed replies. Of course I’m going to get it, I always was. How can I resist? If I am on this board, I am a big fan. I wanted to see if anyone thought it was too overwhelming. I absolutely love AA50 but G40 scares me a bit.

If you enjoyed and understood AA50, then AAG40 is not hard to adapt to. I have not yet played a Global game, but the unit rules are basically just expansions on previous games. Other miscelanneous rules are not overly complicated. The political rules may take a little thinking to get clear. Other than that, I am sure the game is wonderful. I personally like the expansion and addition of depth. Because it is not too complicated and painfully slow.

My personal opinion is that it will be a little less fun, or easy, to play if you only have 2 people. The more the merrier.

• I have played almost all of the strategic games concerning WWII ever made. In my view Axis and Allies Global 1940 is the best one of the lot. It combines strategic decisions with a simple fun fast combat system. Buy the game!

Timewise, our little 3 man gaming group can set up and play the game to someone concedes (usually around turn 7) in about 10 hours.

My only concern is that it takes a bigger than normal space to set up and play. Otherwise, the game is great.

Unless you have time or space concerns, the game is well worth buying.

• Wait for it to go on eBay. People there sell it for about $60.00 or something.

• @Redjac:

I have played almost all of the strategic games concerning WWII ever made. In my view Axis and Allies Global 1940 is the best one of the lot. It combines strategic decisions with a simple fun fast combat system. Buy the game!

Timewise, our little 3 man gaming group can set up and play the game to someone concedes (usually around turn 7) in about 10 hours.

My only concern is that it takes a bigger than normal space to set up and play. Otherwise, the game is great.

Unless you have time or space concerns, the game is well worth buying.

When you say strategic games, that excludes hex games like world in flames, right?

• No, I am including World in Flames as a strategy game. I think Axis and Allies is the better game by far.

World in Flames has some good stuff going for it. It has a very detailed map and unit scale. It has development of the planes over the years and good rules for weather as well. It has a better convoy/sub attack system than Axis and Allies. The sea zone system for naval combat in general is very good. The oil rules were a good addition too.

So with the above comments you would think we would play World in Flames all the time right? No, we never play it anymore. It simply takes too long to play. With a half day for set up and mid game turns taking a whole day to play it can take 20 weekends to finish a game. (This is not even a complete game by the way. The axis powers normally have it won or lost by late '43 so the big Allied counteroffensives are never played out.)  And you have to leave up the game setup the entire time. In Axis and Allies you can set up at 10AM and still be finished by 9PM the same day. This is with taking breaks to get some seafood at a nearby resturant.

The strategic decisions in both games are the same - whether to reinforce Africa as the Americans, or invade UK or go straight for the Soviet Union for Germany. But in Axis and Allies, these decisions play out a whole lot faster which makes for a better game IMO. The level of detail in World in Flames may make for a better simulation but not for a better game.

• wait for triplea to make it its free :)

• @Redjac:

No, I am including World in Flames as a strategy game. I think Axis and Allies is the better game by far.

World in Flames has some good stuff going for it. It has a very detailed map and unit scale. It has development of the planes over the years and good rules for weather as well. It has a better convoy/sub attack system than Axis and Allies. The sea zone system for naval combat in general is very good. The oil rules were a good addition too.

So with the above comments you would think we would play World in Flames all the time right? No, we never play it anymore. It simply takes too long to play. With a half day for set up and mid game turns taking a whole day to play it can take 20 weekends to finish a game. (This is not even a complete game by the way. The axis powers normally have it won or lost by late '43 so the big Allied counteroffensives are never played out.)  And you have to leave up the game setup the entire time. In Axis and Allies you can set up at 10AM and still be finished by 9PM the same day. This is with taking breaks to get some seafood at a nearby resturant.

The strategic decisions in both games are the same - whether to reinforce Africa as the Americans, or invade UK or go straight for the Soviet Union for Germany. But in Axis and Allies, these decisions play out a whole lot faster which makes for a better game IMO. The level of detail in World in Flames may make for a better simulation but not for a better game.

…WHAT? I played a Europe in Flames game with a pal of mine a month ago; we managed to finish it that evening!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m