• Thank you kcdzim… so I thought too, but wasn’t sure. Since it’s with a game with Jenn, I rather double check before.

As someone said, Russia has special rules regarding maps. If not at war in Pacific, then no one can enter Russia territories, eventhough Russia is at war in Pacific… and vice-versa. (No one enters in Russia in European theater while not at war in Europe, even if waging war against Japan)

• You might consult Krieg on that one, he has stated in the past, that if you are at war with an axis, you are not “neutral”. I know the US, if at war with Japan, can land in UK,Anzac and Dutch territories even if UK and Anzac have not declared war…The same should hold true of USSR. I had asked him what would happen if Japan attacked my US navy, and my carrier planes needed to land, they were able to land on UK/Anzac/Dutch holdings since I was at war and they were at war with Germany. Hope that helps…The true question is, will USSR still be neutral. I think we can look to examples with China, it has been said they could land in Burma, with the UK neutral and Japan would have to DOW UK in order to attack it. If that logic holds, Japan would have to DOW USSR to attack US units in their territories…Very confusing at times. Hope that helps.

• Official Q&A

Kcdzim is correct.  James, what you’re saying is true, but only of every power other than the Soviet Union.  The USSR has special rules due to its separate treaties with Germany and Japan.  The Soviet Union is the only power that can be at war on one map and remain neutral on the other.

• Can purchased naval units be placed on naval bases and purchased air units placed on air bases?

I have read some posts here that have left me confused.

• @-Wolverine-:

Can purchased naval units be placed on naval bases and purchased air units placed on air bases?

I have read some posts here that have left me confused.

No.

Air bases give extra movement to aircraft launching from them and scrambling capabilities.
    Naval bases give extra movement to naval units starting in the adjoining sea zone, and repair capital ships.

An industrial complex is the entry point for all new units.

• Thank you, that is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

• Regarding recent questions about neutrality/political situations:

You can quickly get into trouble (confused) if you try to use examples of one power to another.  China is not Russia, for example.  Really, each country has specific rules and few neutral/political/DOW rules can be applied across powers.  You should read the China rules to answer China questions, for example.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Krieghund:

Kcdzim is correct.  James, what you’re saying is true, but only of every power other than the Soviet Union.  The USSR has special rules due to its separate treaties with Germany and Japan.  The Soviet Union is the only power that can be at war on one map and remain neutral on the other.

So I am 7/8ths right.  I’ll take 87.5% accuracy! (Fine, I am 100% wrong about Russia.)

• If, lets say, Italy captures a territory, may Germany land in its next turn?  Or must the territory be held for an entire round before that can occur?

• @-Wolverine-:

If, lets say, Italy captures a territory, may Germany land in its next turn?  Or must the territory be held for an entire round before that can occur?

Yeah, Germany can land there.  The only time planes can’t land there is if it was just taken by that nation that turn (not the entire round).

• @Ruanek:

@-Wolverine-:

If, lets say, Italy captures a territory, may Germany land in its next turn?  Or must the territory be held for an entire round before that can occur?

Yeah, Germany can land there.  The only time planes can’t land there is if it was just taken by that nation that turn (not the entire round).

Very cool, thank you.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Chinese can BUILD on newly conquered territories… but, can they land planes on them?

• @Gargantua:

The Chinese can BUILD on newly conquered territories… but, can they land planes on them?

nope.

To elucidate:  Planes require legal landing spaces at the end of the noncombat move phase - this is no different for China.  It is independent of the place unit phase and unaffected by it, other than the exception for a purchased carrier allowing a plane to remain in a seazone at the end of the noncombat move phase.

The placement of units by china doesn’t change how the chinese plane behave - it’s a separate phase.  The plane must still comply with noncombat movement rules.  Chinese placement rules are the exception, and that’s only in the place unit phase.

• As an aside, in AA50 where China and USA go concurrently, even if the USA goes first and takes control of a Chinese territory, the Chinese fighter can still not land on the newly captured territory in the same turn.

@Gargantua:

Spanked me more than once because I was not thinking when I posted Chinese combat movements.  Luckily, you can land in Hong Kong or Burma while England is neutral. (Or at least, everyone else does so I do too.  Yes, if everyone else was stabbing themselves in the eye with a knife, I would too.  Okay?)

Just to clarify:

11 Fighters, 8 Tactical Bombers, 2 Strategic Bombers always kill 2 AA Guns on defense, if they have no defending units, right? (Picked large numbers to overwhelm the possibility that all AA Gun shots hit.)  Alpha 3 rules, of course.    They don’t just live because there are no attacking ground forces or anything like that, right?

• if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

"A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on islands and coastal territories that have operative air bases can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the adjacent sea zones.Air units can be scrambled to help friendly naval units in adjoining sea zones that have come under attack. "

@thatonekid:

if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

"A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on islands and coastal territories that have operative air bases can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the adjacent sea zones.Air units can be scrambled to help friendly naval units in adjoining sea zones that have come under attack. "

Transports are valid targets for attack.  They may only be selected after everything else is dead, but they are included as actual ships for naval battles.  My understanding is that yes, you can scramble fighters to protect “undefended” friendly transports as if they were any other ship.  Same is true for Submarines, etc.  Of course, if the “undefended” transport is being attacked by nothing but submarines, it’s rather a moot issue.

• Official Q&A

@Cmdr:

Just to clarify:

11 Fighters, 8 Tactical Bombers, 2 Strategic Bombers always kill 2 AA Guns on defense, if they have no defending units, right? (Picked large numbers to overwhelm the possibility that all AA Gun shots hit.)  Alpha 3 rules, of course.    They don’t just live because there are no attacking ground forces or anything like that, right?

Yes.  The AA guns fire, then are destroyed.

• @thatonekid:

if a sz with only a trns is attacked, can you scramble air units to defend it (alpha 2)??? ive always assumed yes but the rules are odd:

Yes.
    Actually, you can scramble Ftr (and Tac Bomber for that matter) period… giving the airbase doesn’t have 3 or more hits on it. I mean, you can scramble up to 3 planes per airbase even if the defender doesn’t have any ships at all in the sz where the attack comes from.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m