• If India is under Japanese control and Kwangtung is under Japanese control and they have a Minor IC in Kwangtung, what happens when Kwangtung is liberated by the Chinese. Do the IPCs go to the Chinese? Does the Factory stay and cannot be used or is it destroyed? Alpha +2 rules apply. What else applies that i am missing.

• Official Q&A

The IPCs and IC go to China, but the IC may not be used by China.

• Excellent thank you.

• @Hobbes:

@soldaatvanoranje:

I’ve got a question on allied-aircraft-carrier interaction.

Let’s say I have two German fighters landed on a Italian carrier vessel. In Italy’s turn the carrier moves two spaces, let’s say from SZ98 to SZ94.

Do the German fighters have their full range from SZ94 or are they limited to their last station in Germany’s turn being SZ98?

It would seem strange to me that a german plane could travel two spaces more in the same year, just because it is landed on a ITA carrier… :?

Thanks!

They have the full range. In this particular case G lands its fighters and Italy moves the carrier on the same round. When G moves the fighters from the carrier on SZ94 it is already a different round (or a ‘year’ if you prefer).

Thanks for the clarification. We’ve agreed on this rule the same, though I’m not really satisfied with the outcome.

Imho it still seems odd that Germany can extend their fighters’ range for landing by two in the same round, just because they’ve landed on a foreign carier. This wouldn’t be possible when Germany lands their planes after combat on their own carriers, they wouldn’t be allowed to move these carriers in the non-combat phase…

This way a German fighter can launch from greece, fight in egypt and can be available in SZ94 the next turn. This just seems wrong to me and a defect in the rules…

I always assumed the events in a round held the fiction that all the fighting and movement in the round happened simultaniously, displaying one year of events of war. The turn-based play would just the way to make the game work…

• You’re thinking too much - it’s a game.  Everyone follows the same rules, and the Axis and Allies can both benefit from this one.  :-)

If you’re going to pick on that rule, there are many others.  How about this one - one infantry stops an unlimited number of tanks from blitzing.  Shoot, a bombed out industrial complex does too.  One destroyer can stop an Armada completely.  You can’t destroy transports and amphibiously assault at the same time, no matter the size of forces….  Etc etc

• yeah, I guess you’re right.

Didn’t work for very well for me last game though, long discussion, and I lost (the discussion, not the game).  :roll: Arguments above were convincing enough.

cheers

• If you think that’s cheap just don’t tell the Allied player they can do the same.  Pretty devastating for Japan when US clears the blocker, UK moves his carrier 3 spaces closer, ANZAC flies off the carrier to kill a trns that was considered safe by the Japanese….

• I have a question involving Japan.  When they are not at war with the USA can they move ships through sea zones with American Ships and end their turn in the same sea zone as US ships?  Also can Japan move off the coast of USA terriority when not at war with the US?

• @Frank:

I have a question involving Japan.  When they are not at war with the USA can they move ships through sea zones with American Ships and end their turn in the same sea zone as US ships?

Yes, they can.

Also can Japan move off the coast of USA terriority when not at war with the US?

Yes.  It’s only the USA that can’t move fleet to certain zones while not at war.

• Sponsor

our group has a request for rule clarification, if Japan attacks UK units during J2, can the US attack immediately or do they need to declare war at the end of their turn first?

• @Young:

our group has a request for rule clarification, if Japan attacks UK units during J2, can the US attack immediately or do they need to declare war at the end of their turn first?

They can attack immediately.  The only time the USA declares war at the end of their turn is if conditions have not been met through round 3.  This is the only exception to the rule that all powers declare war at the beginning of their turns.

So for example, if Japan attacks the USA on J3, the USA can retaliate on USA3.  If the Axis leave the USA alone through round 3 and Japan does not attack UK/ANZ unprovoked, then the USA cannot attack anyone until USA4.

• The only reason for the declaration of war by the USA at the end of round 3 is so that they can position themselves defensively for blocks and such for Japan’s next turn, which they wouldn’t be able to do if they had to wait to declare war at the start of their turn as normal like the USSR has to.

• @SAS:

The only reason for the declaration of war by the USA at the end of round 3 is so that they can position themselves defensively for blocks and such for Japan’s next turn, which they wouldn’t be able to do if they had to wait to declare war at the start of their turn as normal like the USSR has to.

That, and they don’t receive their cashy money national objectives without being at war.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@kcdzim:

@SAS:

The only reason for the declaration of war by the USA at the end of round 3 is so that they can position themselves defensively for blocks and such for Japan’s next turn, which they wouldn’t be able to do if they had to wait to declare war at the start of their turn as normal like the USSR has to.

That, and they don’t receive their cashy money national objectives without being at war.

They can do that without being at war.  They just cannot have their warships adjacent to Japanese territories.

• @kcdzim:

@SAS:

Yeah, hello?!

• @Cmdr:

@kcdzim:

@SAS:

They can do that

“That”?  You mean about the blocking?  No they can’t, they have to be at war!  If the US didn’t declare war at the end of round 3, they wouldn’t get their money, AND they couldn’t block.  Japan doesn’t have to declare war on J4 either!  Not like anyone would deliberately not declare war at the end of US3….  It’s a no-brainer.  What kind of a point were you trying to make, anyway?  Am I missing something?

without being at war.  They just cannot have their warships adjacent to Japanese territories.

• If the USA is not at war with Japan, they do not receive their NOs (all of which work only if the USA is at war with at least 1 axis power), they cannot move adjacent to Japanese territories, and the Japanese Navy can ignore the US Navy because they are treated as neutral.  Therefore allowing the USA to declare war at the end of their turn 3 lets them get their NOs for use on turn 4 and so they can block the Japanese Navy because they cannot be ignored by Japan not declaring war and bypassing them.

• I think what Jen was trying to say is that technically, they can sort of defensively block, provided their ships are between US territories and any seazone that japanese units are in, because as soon as japan declares war on the US, the US units are blocking.

However, they can’t really offensively block and wouldn’t stop japanese attacks on UK or ANZAC units or territories provided the Japanese continued to ignore them.

That said, even if the US didn’t have units in place to block, they NEED to declare war during the collect income phase 'cause otherwise they get no national objectives

• Hi, all!

So, after last nights very long global alpha +2 game, I have a couple of questions…

1. Where exactly can Japan build another major IC? My opponents built one in China. I know that Alpha +2 states Major IC is possible only in an originally controlled territory. And per the Pac40 rulebook, all mainland territories are considered originally chinese. My reasoning is that Korea is the only option for Japan and its major IC… I’d really appreciate a ruling on that matter, as my opponents did not accept my arguments and built a Major IC. (don’t remember which territory, the one north of Kwangtung, I believe… was getting very late… ;) )

2. Japan controls New Zealand. The seazone is occupied by 1CV, 2fighters and 1 transport. 2 guys on New Zealand. As the US, I have 4 subs, 2 transports and 4 guys to attack. Question is… I surprise strike the carrier, and then what???
    -remaining fighters sink my transports and then land?

• remaining fighters only land to defend New Zealand
    • or something completely different??  :mrgreen:

In advance, thanks!

• Official Q&A

1.  You’re right - Korea is the only option.

2.  The defender fighters will fire, killing transports with any hits, as they have no other target.  If both attacking transports are killed, the battle is over, as no units remain that can hit each other or retreat.  If any attacking transports survive, the attacker may retreat.  There is no way the attacker can win this sea battle, as no units that could hit the fighters were brought to the battle, so bringing the transports along was pointless.

What happens to the defending transport varies with the outcome of the battle.  If the subs get three or more hits on the initial attack, it will be sunk.  If it survives the first round and the attacker retreats, it will live.  If the battle ends with only attacking subs and defending fighters in the sea zone, it will be sunk.

In any case, the fighters will land on New Zealand after the battle is over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m