• What do you guys think the best WWII documentary was?

My top four:

(1) The World at War
    (2) Victory at Sea
    (3) Crusade in the Pacific
    (4) Crusade in Europe

Im listening to all you astute Axis and Allies players and historians…

• “The World at War”

“The Battle of San Pietro”

“With the Marines at Tarawa”

• I haven’t seen any of them.

• Little homework assignment for you Brain.

• well Brain…there is an advertisement for the World at War on this forums page…I have the set and it is awesome!!!

• Lol, yeah brain I hope you have alot of time on your hands it is quite extensive.  My only beef is that it is a bit more Euro theater heavy.  Although the volumes on the Pacific are very good.

• @RogertheShrubber:

Lol, yeah brain I hope you have alot of time on your hands it is quite extensive.  My only beef is that it is a bit more Euro theater heavy.  Although the volumes on the Pacific are very good.

yep…it is a bit euro theater heavy…but then again…The world at war is a British production…to get a  good feel on the Pacific theater…Victory at Sea goes very well with The World at War…if you watch both at the same time…u basically get the full picture of World War II minus a few instances…

Crusade in the Pacific is a great series that deals with a lot of the amphibious operations in the Pacific…and Crusade in Europe is a great series dealing with more US operations in Europe…

Just to name a few good ones…

• yes

• Arthur: O Knights of Ni.  We have brought you your shrubbery.  May we go now?
    Knight of Ni: It is a good shrubbery.  I like the laurels particularly.
                  But there is one small problem.
    Arthur:      What is that?
    Knight of Ni: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say “Ni”!
    Other Knights of Ni: Ni!  Shh! Shh!
    Knight of Ni: We are now the Knights who say “Ekky-ekky-ekky-ekky-z’Bang,
                  zoom-Boing, z’nourrrwringnmmm”.
    Other Knight of Ni: Ni!
    Knight of Ni: Therefore, we must give you a test.
    Arthur:      What is this test, o Knights of……
                  Knights who 'til recently said “Ni”?
    Knight of Ni: Firstly, you must find…

ANOTHER SHRUBBERY!!!
    (minor music)
    Arthur:      Not another shrubbery!!
    Knight of Ni: (excitedly) THEN… Then, when you have found the shrubbery,
                  you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly
                  higher, so we get the two-level effect with a little path
                  running down the middle.

• You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest……WITH!..A Herring!

• I’ll look into buying the World at War dvd’s after I move.

• It is Euro-centric, but that’s not bad considering it was made by the Brits in the 70’s. Plus, if you think of the war as a timeline; the US doesn’t enter until the Euro war is 1/3 over, and for one full year of that Britain and the Commonwealth are the only Allies in the fight.

After watching it you’ll really feel like you went through the whole war! It’s on youtube low-res and broken into bite-sized bits if you’re interested.

Another great series, ‘The Great War’ is still the best WW1 doc out there. It’s a must-see companion piece.

• Frank Capra’s “Why We Fight” series is great.

• The Big Battles was a good one

• The World at War is a must have. The interviews alone make it one of a kind.

Recently I have been watching a show on the Military Channel called Hitler’s Bodyguard some of those episodes are really cool. There is one episode on when Hitler flew, the types of planes and security plans and features, one about his Armored command Train and another about his Automobile’s and his driving security and protection. There is also an entire episode about the Wolf’s Lair.

• been watching that too…pretty good…also i like battle 360 and commanders at war

• I just watched this film and have to say that it is probably the best WW2 documentaries I have seen. It’s not a history lesson…just a real look at what people went through and how they won the war.

worldwar2film.com

• Some of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I’ll go a bit further afield and mention “Attack in the Pacific”.  It’s made in a very sober, serious style, without the propaganda hysterics of early war films, and it devotes a lot of time to what goes into the planning and execution of an amphibious assault.

Note by the way that the dates cited for this film are misleading: the Internet Movie Database says it was made in 1944, and the film itself carries the date of (I think) 1950.  Both are wrong.  It’s clear from watching the film that it was made after the invasion of Okinawa (which is mentioned) but before the atom-bombing of Japan (which isn’t mentioned) or the Japanese surrender (because it’s evident from the closing narration that the war is still going on).  My guess is that the war ended before the film could be released and that it was shelved until 1950.

• Sponsor

I just signed up with netflix and I see they have some that I have never seen, looking forward to watching them when I have some time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m