• Disciplinary Group Banned

My grammar sucks, but my math is good. I played A&A games since they came out. I developed the VANN FORMULAS 30 years ago to get the edge on people playing the A&A games. Before we get to the VANN FORMULAS, I am going to tell you a little bit a history about myself with A&A. Me, and some buddies made this huge world map, four times the territories, and we added 14 extra units to the game. It was a blast. We had very bizarre technology in the game. We combine units to make new units. We combine a carrier with a infantry. That unit gets the best of both units. C/M/A/D would be 20/3/4/2. We combine a carrier with a transport. 22/4/4/1. That unit could carry two fighters and two infantry, or two fighters and one tank. We had a riot. Like everyone with house rules we had a problem in pricing, and putting the attack & defense values on the 14 units we had in the game. So we just wing it. I said to myself that’s not good enough, so I developed the VANN FORMULAS. The formulas worked great. Then we notice something, just about every unit, and then some was obsolete to buy. We found a inherit problem in every A&A game. Every A&A game has obsolete units. Who wants to buy obsolete units, not me??? The VANN FORMULAS killed the game for us. From the A&A Wikipedia page I can tell you what units are obsolete. Mechanized infantry, tank, fighter, tactical bomber, submarine, cruiser, battleship, and the carrier. One thing about the carrier though, the carrier will be obsolete to buy if you don’t have fighters on the board already. You say that’s all fine, and dandy, but what are the VANN FORMULAS you ask. Me, and other Grand Masters of A&A that know what the VANN FORMULAS are, are debating to release them to the A&A community, or not. If we release the VANN FORMULAS, We do know that the it will make or break A&A, and everyone’s strategies will change dramatically. Happy hunting everyone.

• Could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by “obsolete” units?  If you’re referring to cost-benefit ratios (as, for example, in the widely held view that the cruiser unit is not worth its cost), that’s one thing.  If you mean something broader than this, the details would be useful to know.

• '17

This sounds like an Urban Legend.

• @Ichabod:

This sounds like an Urban Legend.

Quite possibly.  I asked the poster to provide more information on what sounds like the central element of his sweeping-sounding claim because so far it’s too vague on details to assess and too improbable to get very worked up about without more data.

• Are the units obsolete because of all your house rule units?
    PS: I only have 1942 and 41 so I don’t have to worry about ALL of my units becoming obsolete.  :lol: :wink:
    Suckers…

• '17

Sometimes my dice rolling is obsolete.

• @Ichabod:

Sometimes my dice rolling is obsolete.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL

• Kind of sounds like, we won’t release the rules unless our demands are met!!!  (But what do they want, the Golan Heights?  Alsace?  Kashmir?  Buffalo hunting grounds?)

• Spill out the VANN DAM FORMS and let’s see what happens ! :cry:

• Disciplinary Group Banned

Take the tank for instance. C/M/A/D �6/2/3/3. Instead of buying a tank, buy two infantry. The two infantry has more offensive then the tank does. If you take the PUNCH DRUNK FORMULAS, it said’s the tank is more powerful then the two infantry which is total nonsense. Take 300 IPC, and buy 100 infantry, and those 100 infantry attack 50 infantry. Then take another 300 IPC, and buy 50 tanks, have them attack 50 infantry. As you can see the 100 infantry is stronger then the 50 tanks. And that makes the tank a obsolete unit to buy.

USE THE A&A dot org CALCULATOR TO SEE THE RESULTS.

• @Dauvio:

Take the tank for instance. C/M/A/D �6/2/3/3. Instead of buying a tank, buy two infantry. The two infantry has more offensive then the tank does. If you take the PUNCH DRUNK FORMULAS, it said’s the tank is more powerful then the two infantry which is total nonsense. Take 300 IPC, and buy 100 infantry, and those 100 infantry attack 50 infantry. Then take another 300 IPC, and buy 50 tanks, have them attack 50 infantry. As you can see the 100 infantry is stronger then the 50 tanks. And that makes the tank a obsolete unit to buy.

Just like in the real world, infantry are stronger than tanks in the battlefield. But tanks can blitz. Tanks were never designed to fight in the trenches. Tanks were designed for the blitzkrieg. Tanks move fast, twice as fast as infantry.

• I like the Punch Drunk line. Reminds me of the short from The Three Stooges.

You will never take Moscow if you don’t buy tanks for Germany. Only game you might see 100 inf and 50 tanks attack each other with a bunch of Ger inf for fodder is in IL’s WW2 39 game ( more money and caps on inf build ) that I have. So your piece counts will never happen in 40 game unless you have a VANN Formula Map too. With the inf defending higher you need that higher attack piece. You have to over come the A1 D2 for inf.

Unless your going to say Germany needs 50 inf and 50 planes. But of course you’ll probably say the fig is no good also. It all comes down to battle rounds of 3 to 6 where the tank higher value kicks in and destroys your defending inf.

Closet I got to killing 100 inf was 30 art 60 inf. But defender still had 29 inf left.

So I guess the only way to play your way is with all inf.

• Sponsor

@Dauvio:

To bad you don’t have the VANN FORMULAS, that will tell you exactly what you need to know.  8-)

You wrote this on my YouTube channel… tell me why I shouldn’t block you from making these types of comments.

“I’m all for custom maps, but please game masters only stick to that, and nothing else. Leave the rest to the Grand Masters.  I wish us Grand Masters can tell that to Larry Harris (SO CALL WAR GAMING) that!!!  He is exactly like Ernő Rubik the inventor of the Rubik’s Cube, but Ernő Rubik didn’t know how to solve it.  Larry Harris is a embarrassment to the Grand Master’s community of games (that’s all the board, and video games that ever existed).  He is only there to make money on all you people on selling you flawed A&A games. He doesn’t care about anybody else except himself.  And for those who follow him like a god, your lucky you didn’t bump into a Grand Master in person either!!! SO SAITH A GRAND MASTER!!! Yeah it’s my PATTON, STEVE JOB’S attitude again. Without guys like use you people would still be stuck in the stone age, and Larry Harris is below the stone age, and us Grand Masters is the highest level you people can get which I highly doubt you will ever get to that level because of Larry Harris!!! :D :D :D LOL!!! And that is me being very generous with you people. HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!!”

• '18 '17 '16

The term Grand Master seems to be some sort of code for Internet Troll. No true, self respecting Grand Master of anything would ever feel so insecure that they would feel the need to proclaim themselves to be the only authority on anything much less a burning desire to label all others as having nothing of value to add. This is what happens when you put a crazy nut-job in the oval office. All of the other nut-jobs crawl out of the woodwork and try to imitate him.

• As for me I had my doubts. He just sent me a pm. Got to see what it says.

• '17

@SS:

As for me I had my doubts. He just sent me a pm. Got to see what it says.

Well did you learn anything from the Grand Master that you could share….

• No. He told me he was playing 86 game with No attack for Russia T1. He was playing Russia and made some mistakes and Germany captured Moscow. Then allies pushed out Japan off mainland and baited Germany where tanks didn’t matter even at a cost of 5 icps and won game to that affect. I said nothing new. Normal stuff

I asked him I don’t see the big dramatic change to AA yet.

• '17

@SS:

No. He told me he was playing 86 game with No attack for Russia T1. He was playing Russia and made some mistakes and Germany captured Moscow. Then allies pushed out Japan off mainland and baited Germany where tanks didn’t matter even at a cost of 5 icps and won game to that affect. I said nothing new. Normal stuff

I asked him I don’t see the big dramatic change to AA yet.� Â

Thanks for the reply, but I do not feel very enlightened.

• Hmm, there should be a “Please do not feed the trolls” sign around here somewhere…

• @Dauvio:

100 inf vs 50 inf you’ll end with 80-85 inf ($246) left.

50 tanks vs 50 inf you’ll end with 35-38 tanks ($200) left

Except you don’t attack with 50 tanks.  The actual best benefit is however many infantry you need to not lose a single tank, which hit 3 times more often at half the cost and can move two.

For pure value, the $7 inf/art combo gets you slightly better hits and a lot more Cannon fodder, if mobility doesn’t matter.

So wouldn’t the value for Germany advancing on Russia be, say, two buys of information/art followed by tanks that can then reach the front line?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m