• I’m hoping he gets on board…it will be fun with ten players.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Say, what will the ground rules for options be?  Did we want to play the same rules we will be using for the tournament?

• @DizzKneeLand33:

Say, what will the ground rules for options be?  Did we want to play the same rules we will be using for the tournament?

sounds like a good idea to me

• tournament?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@dawgoneit:

tournament?

Yes, sir!  We have 4 signed up so far, and it will be starting on May 1:

http://cellargaming.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=158

If you are interested (all are welcome), feel free to post a response in that forum or just let me know here and I’ll get you added to the list.

• how do I go about signing up. when I go to the site?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

You can just reply to that thread about the tournament and say that you would like to join.  For signing up to the boards, there’s a small verification process to keep all the bots out, and after that you should be signed up and then can post freely.  :)

• '13

WaW looks cool but i’ve never played.  is there a guide or write-up someone can share so I can get up to speed?

• I’m not aware of any guide for the game.
    You might want to do a few rounds against the AI…it may help you understand the different units in the game.
    One thing you need to know is that air units can hit subs…if the subs survive an air attack they can submerge.

You can pm me if you have any questions about the game and I’ll try to answer them the best I can.

• And Subs and TTs block movement.
    You will also note some countries have a back up capital, from which they can earn and spend income (if there is a Factory) the following turn.
    TTs can carry one inf(whether Reg, Elite or Marine) and one other unit.
    Your allies will help and explain further.

• '17

Definitely check out the new units.

Several land units have a movement of 3 now.

Also, I recently realized that planes can use all of their movement to attack (i.e. can be suicidal to reach a target).

• I think planes can use all of their movement to attack only if you have kamikaze selected as a game option…we won’t be using that option unless the other players really want it.

• '17

I didn’t realize it was option dependent, one of my other games must have it switched on.

I assumed it was default since the unit descriptions say so, but I am not passionate about it either way.

• I selected it as an option in our first team game…mainly because I was unsure how it would work.
    I don’t like it as an option because you can lose fighters unintentionally…so we won’t be using that as an option in this game.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

I’m in! If there’s still room

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Also, for anyone interested, I typed up a summary of what I’ve learned playing WAW:

What I’ve learned playing World At War:

1. Transports are “old school” defend at a 1 and take hits in combat.

2. You purchase armored cars and artillery two at a time, effectively making them 3.5 ICs each. Remember to factor that in on your unit count for deployment.

3. In SZs connected to another SZ via multiple canals, you (and your Allies) must own ALL of them to pass through.
      a. EXAMPLE: Above Northern Australia & Townsville, there is SZ 73. Directly north is SZ 110. Between the two SZs, are 3 canals, between the territories of Flores, Nayumo, Ceram, & Okaha. Your side must own ALL FOUR territories before you can pass between those two SZs.

4. You don’t have “back-up” capitals…you have multiple capitals.  If you lose ANY of them, it counts as losing your capital.
      a. Example: in one game, Russia lost Kaask, the Soviet far east capital with a production value of 6. Hisachi took it, and Russia lost all his money, even though he still had Moscow and that one in the middle no one really uses. Lol.
      b. On your next round, you’ll collect income if you still have at least one capital left.

5. Most powers have “Late War” units that don’t become available for purchase until the beginning of your Round 4.

6. Bunkers are immovable, 2-hit unit that repairs at the beginning of your turn, defends at 3, and  can be built in any territory, regardless of factory. Only available for purchase as a Late War unit, costs 6 ICs.

7. Patrol boats, cruisers, and super subs can carry units. 
      a. I didn’t say just infantry, because they can carry armored cars as well! An armored car weighs as much as an infantry (2 carrying capacity).

8. A battle transport can carry two tanks (3 cap) and one infantry (1 cap), or FOUR infantry/armored cars.

9. Subs and transports can block naval movement.

10. Planes can hit subs.
      a. But if no destroyer is present on the attacking side, they can submerge AFTER the first round of combat.

11. AA guns have no combat value, and get a shot at EVERY plane. (Classic rules). Capturable. Moveable during NCM if you controlled it at the start of your turn.

12. Deployment is restricted to the production value of the territory.

13. You can build a new factory in any territory you control at the beginning of your turn with a value of 1 or higher.

14. SPECIFIC UNITS that you have to learn through play:
      a. Long range bombers: US/JAPAN/UK – They not only move 8 and attack @ 5 and can bomb, they give artillery support to supportable units if used in combat!
      b. Battle Carriers: US/JAPAN – They are two hit repairable units.  THEY CAN ALSO STILL HOLD PLANES AFTER TAKING A HIT.
      c. Mechanized Infantry give artillery support, as do Stukas (German only).

• '20 '18 '17 '15

1. Capital Count! All capitals bear the national symbol on their capital territories.
      a. Germany – 1: Berlin
      b. Russia – 3: Moscow, Aleksandrowskoe, Kaask
      c. Italy – 1: Rome
      d. French – 2: Coral Harbor, Paris
      e. Yamamoto -1: Tokio
      f. China -1: Xining
      g. Hisachi -1: Seoul
      h. British – 3: Quebec, London, Dheli
      i. Anzac – 1: Melbourne
      j. Dutch -2: Borneo, Dutch Guinea
      k. Finns -1: Helsinki
      l. Romania -1: Romania
      m. Thai – 1: Phuket
      n. US – 2: Washington and San Francisco
  • '20 '16 '15 '14

very nice synopsis of the game, Whack.

I would add one little note that makes me love this game more than the others.  In addition to the amazing battles in the Pacific, those “bombers” that were referred to above (5/2/8) cost 18 IPC’s.  Infantry cost 2.  So, using a ton of those planes to continually plow into ground units by themselves doesn’t make economic sense (as opposed to some other discussions about other games on these boards).

One other note: when your planes fly over aa’s, you don’t get to pick the casualties, it’s rolled on a plane by plane basis (in essence).  Although that takes some getting used to, it actually makes a heck of a lot more sense than the attacker choosing aa casualties as a group….

Balancing out your naval, ground, and air power isn’t just an ethereal concept here.  It is real, and if you are dead in any one of those areas, you’re pretty much just dead (minor powers aside).

• Thanks Whack. I think so many of us like this game, Dizz, because it has many aspects of 1940. But then seems better. It is certainly more complex, with a wonderful map.

• '20 '18 '17 '15

Dizz, I would counter that losing your navy doesn’t mean you’re dead, just on the defensive.  I took out the Axis fleet in the Pacific, but Hisachi and Yamamoto have both been collecting in their 60s for awhile thereafter. Even with full control of the Pacific, it can take a long time to truly crush someone.

So don’t despair if you fall on hard luck, you’ll still be in the fight for some time affecting the war.

It also encourages a nice mix of units, land/air/sea, as many compliment the other.  Amphibing, inf support from planes, etc.

I also enjoy the fact that there is more back and forth, with counter strikes instead of two giant stacks and that’s it like in Global 1940.  Here there has to be some counter assaults to stop blitzing. Mechs can move THREE! and if you have a giant stack of all inf as Russia, Germany can skirt around you and threaten a capital. It’s good to have a mix of 1, 2 & 3 movement units for both offense and defense.

There are a lot more tough calls that force you to look into the future. Do I buy 3 infantry that can move 1, or 1 mech that can move 3 and support? Where is my front line going to be after counter attacks, etc.?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m