• '14

@BJCard:

If we made Russia any tougher, then the CP cause is even more hopeless than it already is.

As it is, I hardly find Russia a tough country (unless you are the Russian player–then God help you), and I like playing the CPs. Call me cRaZy? Why, yes, please do.

I’m working on some house rules for myself to make the Eastern Front a bit more interesting. I am agreed, however–if Russia is made stronger in any setting like that, the CPs must also have a countervailing presence. Unfortunately, I have been too busy to sit down and really try them out. My sense of history professionalism requires me to read beforehand. But subs on rails is not long in coming (???) …

• @americancyco:

I wish there was another category to vote on.
    I think some of the new rules are very original in theory but just don’t work in practice.
    I think a lot more play testing was need before the game was released.

Almost all of the single nation “advantages” are broken or worthless.
    1-RR as seen by having to be reworked within days of release.
    2-German subs raid on UK or US money is just not worth doing.
    3-US not being involved into round 4, was okay but the lack of rules on what exactly the US could do for the first three rounds was/isn’t clear in the rulebook.

My other complaint was the rulebook was a hot mess.  In many parts you had to read two different sections on two different pages to actually get the entire rule.  I have never had this problem with the other AA rulebooks and was saddened by how this one was written.

I entirely agree with this comment. However, there are some nice innovative elements in A&A1914.

• @Flashman:

I’ve come round to the view that tanks are just right, based on actually playing with them.

I would even consider buying them if they didn’t have any combat value as such, simply as a shield for my attacking inf and art.  In my game they didn’t score many hits (assuming artillery support can be given to infantry), but allowed me to make big attacks without suffering casualties.

If they cost any less I’d probably buy all-tank armies with a couple of inf to allow attacks.

Agreed!

• I voted 7-8. Like the game and the way it works. Shortage of pieces is a issue to me. For the money you spend on these games it shouldn’t be an issue. With a few minor tweaks this could be one of the top games Larry has created.

• Yeah, but every A&A game is short of pieces- if you have multiple versions you can combine some of them.

• What about people who don’t want to mix and match?

Or

People who just saw this game at a local store and said ww1 this is my favourite war. Then realize this game does not have enough pieces for them.

Saying you have pieces from other ones shouldn’t be an excuse for the developers. They should have double the German infantry from the set up and double for UK. I understand it cuts costs slightly but comeon.  In Risk I never run out of pieces.

• I have ALL the Axis and Allies game BJ it makes no difference to me. I am sorry it wouldn’t cost them hardly any money to include a few more pieces. The game retails at a 100 bucks. There is no way this game is worth that. Everyone that keeps saying use other pieces from other games just gives Wizards of the Cheap an out to keep doing what they’re doing. I also believe these games need to be playtested more. It seems every new game that comes out has tons of issues with it. Playtesting could work out these issues. Instead what do you think we’ll  get. WW1 1914 Second edition. Bank on it.

• Well, I’m not saying the game shouldn’t have come with more pieces, but I am saying that it is par for the course with these games.

I haven’t been too short of pieces in this one though- a couple more Infantry for Germany and Britain would have sufficed.  Oh, and about 25-50% more chips…

• Thats all I am saying BJ it wouldn’t have taken a lot.
    6 fighters
    6 tanks
    3 more infantry per power
    20 more chips for each side.
    Bingo games perfect.

• @GoSanchez6:

WW1 1914 Second edition. Bank on it.

Better atleast get some unique sculpts other than infantry lol

I for one dont understand how 1914 cost more than pac40 2nd ed and euro40 2nd ed.

each pac40 and euro40 came with more peices and WAYYY more sculpts and a slightly larger map lol

the price on 1914 is kinda a ripoff but it still is a wonderfull game once you get past the few extra peices you need to play it

Kudos to Larry and middle finger (along with my cash) to you wizards…

• I spent $65 on AA 1914 from CSI… the 1940 games are/were like $80 each?

• Price was very similar here in England. £75 for WW1 and a few pounds less for the two 40 games.
    Can now get 1914 £10 cheaper on Amazon.(I think they bought too many.)

I am very annoyed at the small number of units and chips.

• looking on amazon right now 1914 is listed at 85 USD
    Euro 1940 second edition listed at 75 USD
    and Pac 1940 second edition listed at 65 USD

So each of the global games are cheaper yet come with more pieces and more/better quality sculpts

• Going off of Amazon I see-

I used CSI:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/183962
    A&A 1914- $65

They must have lowered the price for the 1940 games:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165316
    Europe 1940- $58

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165317
    Pacific 1940- $58

They are close to the same price by A&A 1914 is newer.  A&A 1914’s price will drop like the others I’m sure.

• Uncrustable thats how they will get us for 2nd edition on this one. Some new sculpts and a better map and better rulebook. Sound familiar. Global 1940 2nd edition. 1942 2nd edition. I see a pattern.

• They will almost certainly come out with a 2nd edition. The 100th anniversary is next year so they rushed this one so they could come out with a new one. The 2nd edition will hopefully have:
    -better playtesting
    -more sculpts
    -decent RR rules
    -better quality
    And all for the same amount of money.

• I really hope that atleast the 2 editions will be compatible with each other.
    -same chips and nation colors
    -they should throw in some marshaling cards (was revised the only game to come with them?)

@GoSanchez6:

Uncrustable thats how they will get us for 2nd edition on this one. Some new sculpts and a better map and better rulebook. Sound familiar. Global 1940 2nd edition. 1942 2nd edition. I see a pattern.

Yeah well i have both G40 editions and i will prob drool all over myself to get 1914 2nd edition lol
    What a sucker  :roll:

• Customizer

Ijust got the game today. I’ll be reading the faqs for rules clarification for sure. The game looks good but for sure there’s not enough pieces. As far as that goes, the plastic just doesn’t cost that much it’s the cardboard stuff that costs all the money. I like what I see so far and will be doing a solo run tomorrow most likely.

• I can see all of the CEOs over at Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro/AH on a yacht drinking and smoking cigars.  All laughing and patting each other on the backs.  “Great marketing strategy boys, give them an unplaytested game, at a high cost, with broken rules, then come out with a 2nd edition a year or two later, hahahahahahahaa, works every time.  Don’t forget about not including IPC money, battle boards or enough pieces, ahahahaahaha.  Pull”  Fires at skeet.  “Alfred poor me another scotch and have Jeeves pull the limo up to the dock”

When are they going to listen to the customers.  Wait I admit I’m a sucker and keep buying poor products.  I guess greed rules all in America.

The developers, play testers, and everyone involved with the A&A series should be ashamed of themselves.  For once do the right thing and put out a quality product.

• 1914 is a great game tho. Short on pieces yeah but Larry outdid himself on this one

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m