They can't call it Axis & Allies!

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

So, they have got to call it something else.  The “Axis” did not exist in 1914.  If I see the box with “Axis” on it, even to signal the brand, I am going to laugh, laugh, laugh…

So what will it be?

Tripple Entente v. Central Powers?

Central Powers v. Allies?

I am fired up for this new game.  I hope the mechanics and politics of game make up for the lack of units typs…  Why no destroyer or cavalry is hard to justify.  (I know, I know cavalry were outdated and destroyers still developing…) Alas, I fear however it will be kind of a retread of A&A 42 first edition.  Very simple, a lot of build up and smash with little strategic challenge… oh, wait… what war is this?  :lol: :lol:

• I support Central and Entente, simple words in the same order.

I have been thinking about this sense the announcement.

• I once jokingly proposed “Archdukes and Armistices”, to reflect how the war began and ended.

One could also half-seriously argue that it could be called “Allies and Allies”, since the Central Powers were an offshoot of the Triple Alliance and since the Triple Entente countries were also known as the Allied Powers.

I guess the only historically legitimate way to use the actual phrase “Axis & Allies” would be to call the game “Axis & Allies: The Prequel”, based on the argument that WWI was a warm-up act to WWII (or that WWII was a continuation of WWI).

• Customizer

Suicide of the Empires

• It’s not that they can’t call it Axis&Allies, it’s that they shouldn’t  :-(

I was kinda hoping they would com up with a different name, just to draw a line under the two very different point in history they are representing. It also worries me that this will just further blur the line in peoples minds between Hitlers Nazi regime of WW2 and the much more benign government of the German empire.

I know the Kaisers government wasn’t perfect but at least it was progressive and didn’t have all the stupid racial superiority propaganda that Hitlers regime had. It is very easy to paint the Germans of WW2 as the bad guys, running around trying to take over the world and killing any Jewish person they came across. In Ww1 I find it much harder to paint any one nation as the bad guys, as all nations motivations were the same, if a bit naive. Also, to the Kaisers credit, over 150,000 German men of Jewish faith fought and died in his armies during the Great War, 30,000 of the being awarded the Iron Cross for bravery in battle.

It would be nice if we could keep the confusion of these two vary different versions of Germany down to a minimum, but this games title won’t help that I fear

• I thought Axis and Allies: Central Powers would have be a good title

• Perhaps they could go with something like: “The War to End All Wars: an Axis and Allies Game”, or something along those lines.  Keep the Axis and Allies branding, since it uses the same game system but clearly define that this is a WWI game.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@manstein39:

Perhaps they could go with something like: “The War to End All Wars: an Axis and Allies Game”, or something along those lines.  Keep the Axis and Allies branding, since it uses the same game system but clearly define that this is a WWI game.

Yeah… there is no way that it WON’T be called Axis and Allies: (something). The Axis and Allies brand is part of the sales identification; people will associate the history and quality of the Axis and Allies brand with this new game and be much more inclined to buy it. It may not be historically accurate, but given the reality it does not bother me at all.

Axis & Allies: 1914 has a much better ring than Central Powers and Allies or anything related to it.

• @LHoffman:

Axis & Allies: 1914 has a much better ring than Central Powers and Allies or anything related to it.

I just think of it like Command & Conquer vs. Command & Conquer: Red Alert; the time period is different, the factions are different, the history/timeline is different, but the game engine is almost identical.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@The:

I just think of it like Command & Conquer vs. Command & Conquer: Red Alert; the time period is different, the factions are different, the history/timeline is different, but the game engine is almost identical.

Exactly; that would be the other part of the reasoning to keep it as Axis & Allies.

• You know they are here is why:

1. People don’t know the difference, but they do know the brand

2. Only wanks like us will complain, but still buy the game :)

• Customizer

• @LHoffman:

@The:

Exactly; that would be the other part of the reasoning to keep it as Axis & Allies.

I whole heartly agree

• Eight years later your post I have the game box here on my laps.
    It says WWI 1914 and A&A game. So they didn’t really call it Axis and Allies. The game is super cool and since I am a great fan of the The Great War I have to say that I enjoy it even more than the other ( so far I have playes only anniversary). Kind regards. Meerko

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m