How to counter these J1-3 opening moves?

• On J1, my brother attacked up north in Japan and wiped the Russian forces (18inf 2aaa).

He also purchased a Minor IC and put it in eastern china on the country with 3value, and the proceeded to upgrade it the following turn.

Meanwhile. He was taking Chinese territories each turn and moving in westward…on j3 he now moved all ships south making them ready to take the South Eastern islands and also get closer to Calcutta…

Literally, I felt like there was nothing I could have done to change the outcome of j1-3…

He’s now moving toward russia up north, has a Major IC and is pushing in tanks with it…it’s only a matter of time before he has 12+ going into India.

What could i do?

• Hi Osu. If you are playing Alpha revised rules or 2nd Edition rules, then Japan cannot make a Major in China, even the 3 IPC ones. They are Chinese territories.
    Only Korea can be a Japanese Major.
    Sorry!
    I hope Anzac and UK took the money islands and US has moved to Australia.
    You have to piss him off with the Allies, so he attacks you as he sees your revenue climbing as you establish yourself in SE Asia.
    Also best not to leave the Russians where he can attack them all in one go.
    Did you convert Mongolia to Russian allied and place the 6 Inf in it?

• @wittmann:

Hi Osu. If you are playing Alpha revised rules or 2nd Edition rules, then Japan cannot make a Major in China, even the 3 IPC ones. They are Chinese territories.
    Only Korea can be a Japanese Major.
    Sorry!
    I hope Anzac and UK took the money islands and US has moved to Australia.
    You have to p�ss him off with the Allies, so he attacks you as he sees your revenue climbing as you establish yourself in SE Asia.
    Also best not to leave the Russians where he can attack them all in one go.
    Did you convert Mongolia to Russian allied and place the 6 Inf in it?

We are playin 2nd edition; that means he can’t build a MAJOR in this
    Countries?

• yes we converted the Mongolian territories to Russian troops
    • when you say move all America’s to Australasia, what do you mean exactly, just all my ships and transports with men? What should be their objective? To help
      Calcutta? Make a landing in the SE China area?
  • TripleA

don’t give 18 inf and 2 aa gun for japan to kill round 1, you crazy.

• @Cow:

don’t give 18 inf and 2 aa gun for japan to kill round 1, you crazy.

How would you play that up in Russia then?

• '16

@osu888:

We are playin 2nd edition; that means he can’t build a MAJOR in this
    Countries?

You can only build/upgrade to major factories in territories that you originally control.
    In other words, it must be a territory that has your nation’s symbol on it.
    The occupied Chinese territories are considered Chinese original territories since they have China’s symbol, so Japan cannot make Major factories in these territories.

How would you play that up in Russia then?

Leaving your far east Russian stack vulnerable to a Japanese attack is a waste. You might as well just move them towards Moscow. If you want to keep your Infantry in the far east, then you need to evaluate what Japan can hit you with.
    I would suggest to move them all to Buryatia on round 1. After that, if Japan isn’t in a good position to wipe out all 18 infantry and 2 AAA, move them to Amur to threaten Manchuria and Korea.

• Hi again osu. Thanks ChOsenfktard.
    I find the US can most annoy and damage Japan by moving his Naval stack to East coast of Australia(SZ54). US1 all in Hawaii, 2 move to SZ54.  From there he is best able to strike at Japan if he DOWs on J3.  It also adds to Anzac defence. It might also scare him into an unprepared J2, then bring US and its bonus, into the war early.
    I like the Eastern Russian Inf and AA to stay in the East(some move them towards Moscow) as they are a massive deterrent to Japan. They do not attack until he leaves Korea or Manchuria uncovered. If they are killed, Russia is in trouble.
    I hope you can reverse the Major IC issue. ( Hope it is not too late!)
    Have fun.

• TripleA

Man I just keep those units ready to attack amur if japan comes. I advance if japan leaves.

• The Japanese advance through Russia is annoying, but it very much opens the door to shut Japan down and stall the Japanese advance.

You’ve got two options.  The first of which is to sink the Japanese fleet and take control of SZ6 to prevent Japan from ferrying over units to the mainland while convoying Japan’s eventual income to zero and stopping the flood into Russia.  You can trade your ships for Japanese ships early, sacrificing carriers by absorbing two hits to allow your aircraft to continue to sink ships in SZ6 (which of course means their demise too). Once the fleet is crippled, Japan is going to be stuck putting out a DD or CR at best each round in SZ6 - easily sunk by US DD/SS.  By Japan ignoring income and making a bee line to Moscow, its most likely going to lose the fight in China as I’d expect India to DOW and stack up the Burma Road to get Chinese artillery out, nullifying the Japanese advantage over China.  Losing Chinese income, the DEI income and getting convoyed, Japan’s going to be making less than 10 IPC/round once the US DOW occurs.

The other option is to ignore Japan and just build the US to land on Gib on Round 4 and then onto Norway/Italy/the French Minors on Round 5.  A reinforcement of British units- a combination of infantry and aircraft can help prevent a German counter for the US landing.  The only hope is that you put enough of a threat on Germany that it has to reverse its economic spending getting units into the fight for Moscow so that Berlin has to be defended instead of a factory of Mech supporting what I’d expect to be Armor purchases that were made earlier.  India can also then ignore China and start churning out Armor/Mech and start marching toward Egypt/Afghan/Southern Russia.  Japan will not be able to hold territories near Moscow for long with India spending from India1 forward on a march in that direction.  Particularly as India claims all the DEI to pump its income into the 30’s.  I’d let Anzac just build SS every round and continue to convoy/harass Japanese territories to further compound Japan’s problem of spending to get units towards Moscow whilst being harassed via convoy everywhere.

Basically the Japanese making the Moscow Rush equates to a boring Pacific Theater and UK, India, US all converging on Europe.  Italy can easily be convoyed out of the game with a combination of SS purchases out of S.Africa, India and UK.  Japan has an 8 roundish march to Moscow (unless theres a suicide aircraft punch).  Germany is 7ish rounds out itself.  If rounds 5, 6 and 7 equate to Allied landings in Europe, Germany has a tough decision to face with a convoy’ed Italy, an over-extended Japan and a split economy defending Europe and advancing on Moscow.

Realize you still may lose Moscow, but with the Allies entrenched in Europe with a full economic investment, India may be able to reclaim Moscow for the Russians as Germany has to reverse course instead of swinging south towards Egypt for the win.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m