• I definitely will!

By “1941” do you mean A&A 1941 or an alternative 1941 set-up for Global 1940?

Good luck in any case!

• '15

Alternate setup.  I don’t know anything about it.

• If it is an other Version than Oztea’s exellent 1941 set-up (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30919.0), it would be nice if you could share it with us.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Fixed time limits per power, with IPC penalties per minute for going over the limits. The only thing that doesn’t count against your time limit is time spent rolling combat. Folks speed up a lot when suddenly they have little money to spend because they spent too much time dithering on the previous turn. Allow a couple of “time outs” if you like, but this really keeps the game moving.

Marsh

• '15

@The:

If it is an other Version than Oztea’s exellent 1941 set-up (http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30919.0), it would be nice if you could share it with us.

It was Oztea’s setup and it was excellent.  It’s a completely different game and I enjoyed it very much.  We had five people, I played as US and Anzac and was able to shut Japan down.  They didn’t take India until turn 8 and after taking it had no shot to get Hawaii or Sydney; they were out out of capital ships, China was doing very well after being aided by Russia, US had firm control of the DEI and Japan didn’t have the income to get that 6th VC.

We ended up calling the game after Germany won big in a battle that should’ve been a mutual annihilation.  As usual, it just came down to the rolling in one big battle  :-D

Great version and I look forward to playing it again

• @Der:

The best solution is to have a dedicated game area where there is no pressure to finish the game in one sitting. My guys show up and know that we will play 3 rounds and quit, and it will take about 4 1/2 hours. Having a “get this done today” mentality really changes the whole dynamic of how the game goes, and  fatigue starts to play a part in the outcome after a few rounds. Not everyone has a room for that solution, I know. I went many years without the space.  Â

Yes it is nice to have a dedicated table for your group to finish the game right to the end. I fortunately have that opportunity too.
    We are four players, and at times 5 which helps the speed.
    Unfortunately, in a good way, and frustration for sure, this game really makes you think too deeply about your move because it is very critical ( as we know ), which makes it fun too, but stretches the time frame per round longer than usual.
    Players who are not involved much in the game later on much due to they have nothing to do but just defend ( i.e. build on London, Build up Rome ) may get frustrated because the opponents turn taking way too long, needs the board for strategy planning at such a tense critical move taking for ever.
    That 6 hour game night turns into 9 hours and just a few rounds achieved.

We have always played the OOB 1st edition order, and will play the YGH 2nd edition overlap order of play, so with 4 players this may be tricky, but will work on it. If anyone has any suggestions that’ll be great too!

The game I suppose is set up to be frustrating, and challenging at the same time especially knowing the rules inside out… which also slows down that round if no one knows the exact correct rule the player is suggesting, or has made and questioned…( can you move there or not… ).

Axix & Allies…what a game~!~

BH

• Online I’m finding about 3 hours for 8 rounds is about the pace things go - they tend to pick up speed after round 4 or 5 or so when all the major strategic decisions are already made. US and UK first two rounds tend to be particularly slow because the allies need to craft a robust response to whatever opener the Axis are playing.

• Sponsor

@SubmersedElk:

Online I’m finding about 3 hours for 8 rounds is about the pace things go - they tend to pick up speed after round 4 or 5 or so when all the major strategic decisions are already made. US and UK first two rounds tend to be particularly slow because the allies need to craft a robust response to whatever opener the Axis are playing.

3 hours during table top games will get you 3 game rounds if you’re lucky, 4 at the very most.

• adjudicating dice at the press of a spacebar is one hell of a convenience

• '19 '17 '16

We have one move we reckon speeds things up a fair bit (and makes it more enjoyable): Purchase & repair units doesn’t need to be finalised until the end of Combat Movement.

Often, you need to put the combat movement on the board to visualise it. This makes less and less difference the more I play but I would call it invaluable in my early days of A&A. Certainly less radical than some of the other suggestions here.

We only have 3 colours of dice and red is always the highest number. Although I can certainly see the merit in 4 colours with 15+ of each - and never deviating the number a given colour is rolling is also a plus. Two trays to allow offensive and defensive rolling simultaneously is pretty good too.

Another point is that combat movement which doesn’t involve rolling dice is generally allowed to be retrospective if forgotten (not if affected by something which has happened though). NCM can be allowed too if not affected by a declared combat move. This is open to interpretation. When I’ve played Triple-A, not being able to go back (without invoking edit mode) was a different experience.

• '19 '17 '16

@SS:

I don’t agree with any kind of charts or battle calculators being used for any of the games.  :wink:

My usual opponent thinks like this but all it does is causes a lot of time to be wasted. Pretty annoying.

• '17 '16 Customizer

@simon33:

@SS:

I don’t agree with any kind of charts or battle calculators being used for any of the games.  :wink:

My usual opponent thinks like this but all it does is causes a lot of time to be wasted. Pretty annoying.

IMHO….any good player does not need odds calculators or apps. A good and experienced player can, in a matter of seconds, sum up the chances of a possible battle. I’ve never used electronic gadgets or apps and pretty much know what my odds are of winning or losing a battle by simply LOOKING at the board and stack of units. I’ve had a few guests over the years who won’t make a move w/o “consulting” their gadgets. THAT’S annoying in my book. In my bunker game room, electronic gadgets are outlawed.  :-D

• 8-) 8-) 8-)

• '21 '18 '16

Magnetic carriers save about an hour in game of Global. previously mentioned. I have pics in the customization thread.

• '19 '17 '16

@Maddog77:

In my bunker game room, electronic gadgets are outlawed.  :-D

Ok, so then you need to write down the number 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s and zeros on a piece of paper and consider the likely outcome of an attack which takes somewhat longer.

If you are so sure of your estimation ability - good for you.

• No need to write down anything. Just multi pieces with values and add in your head which you already know how to do.
    I can see maybe maybe let a new player use it couple times.

If everybody agrees with the use of electronics so be it but not here neither.

• '19 '17 '16

I would if I couldn’t use a calculator. Are you going to ban that too? If not, exactly how does your rule speed up play? It actually slows it down. My attitude will be if that you are going to create annoying and obstructionist rules that I have no sympathy. Why should I have any?

@SubmersedElk:

Online I’m finding about 3 hours for 8 rounds is about the pace things go - they tend to pick up speed after round 4 or 5 or so when all the major strategic decisions are already made. US and UK first two rounds tend to be particularly slow because the allies need to craft a robust response to whatever opener the Axis are playing.

Perhaps so but in the board game that blows out to more like 12 hours.

• Yes. What"s an extra 30 mins saved in a game. Rather spend 30 extra mins a game and learn how to play without gadgets.

• '19 '17 '16

@SS:

Yes. What"s an extra 30 mins saved in a game. Rather spend 30 extra mins a game and learn how to play without gadgets.

I just don’t understand this attitude. It’s like saying that people lived for years without mobile phones therefore our life would be better without them.

We’ll have to agree to disagree here I think.

• I hear what your saying. Just old school and we just disagree.
    😍

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m