• Interestingly, Germany is the only economy to start with two major factories.

• Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

The UK is a second playable POWER that has 2 major complexes to start

• @Gamerman01:

Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

True, but India, after about 3-4 turns, never has enough money to build more than 3 units there anyway…it’s actually a liability as a major then, since Japan can bomb it to 20 damage instead of 6, requiring an extra cost of 14 to make it functional.

• 2007 AAR League

Wouldn’t Western Germany and or any future counter-attacks West be hard to do/hold if it wasn’t a Major Complex?

• Interesting to read about the differences between 1st and 2nd edition.  I picked up my copies of 1940 in January/February of this year.  I must have read a post from 1st edition.  Thanks for all the thoughts and replies everyone!

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Gamerman01:

Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

True, but India, after about 3-4 turns, never has enough money to build more than 3 units there anyway…it’s actually a liability as a major then, since Japan can bomb it to 20 damage instead of 6, requiring an extra cost of 14 to make it functional.

But the first 7 damage that Japan does to it doesn’t hurt India, by your own logic.  If it was a minor, the first point of damage hurts.

• @drummerinheat:

Interesting to read about the differences between 1st and 2nd edition.  I picked up my copies of 1940 in January/February of this year.  I must have read a post from 1st edition.  Thanks for all the thoughts and replies everyone!

Yes, after a bit I realized this is probably what was going on.  In first edition, a Romanian complex made a LOT more sense than it does now.  Glad I could help

• I like Romanian complex. It sets me up for reinforcing the Eastern Front if I do a DOW Russia 1st turn as Germany. I can exploit weaknesses behind Russian enemy lines using sea assaults with transports if I need to bypass the front lines Russia has set up against Russia and send units to take control of the IC two spaces away from Russia.

• @MakeMaps:

I like Romanian complex. It sets me up for reinforcing the Eastern Front if I do a DOW Russia 1st turn as Germany. I can exploit weaknesses behind Russian enemy lines using sea assaults with transports if I need to bypass the front lines Russia has set up against Russia and send units to take control of the IC two spaces away from Russia.

after dropping 30 IPC’s on a complex and then purchasing a navy to do sea assaults, I don’t see how you will have enough bodies to make a strong push into Russia.  That’s the entire argument against purchasing the complex.  It distracts from the main objectives.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The sea assault is also slower than it looks – if you build a factory on G1, and a navy on G2, you still can’t get your troops to Ukraine / Caucasus any faster than G3, which means you can’t take the factory in Volgograd before G4.

Even if you’re just marching overland as normal, you can get to Eastern Poland / Bessarabia on G1, Ukraine on G2, Rostov on G3, and Volgograd on G4. The navy gives you a bit of tactical flexibility, but it doesn’t give you any extra speed, and it’s wicked expensive.

If you have extra Italian boats in the Med because the British refused to attack there or something like that, I could see the Italians diverting a transport and a destroyer to the Black Sea to have some fun and do some can-opening for German tanks, but a German Black Sea navy is a huge waste of time – and I say this as someone who thinks a factory in Romania can make sense as a way to get some closer infantry!

• @Argothair:

If you have extra Italian boats in the Med because the British refused to attack there or something like that, I could see the Italians diverting a transport and a destroyer to the Black Sea to have some fun and do some can-opening for German tanks, but a German Black Sea navy is a huge waste of time – and I say this as someone who thinks a factory in Romania can make sense as a way to get some closer infantry!

Unfortunately, Italian ships wouldn’t be able to sail through the Dardanelles without control of Turkey.

• If you’re playing against anyone who lets you take Stalingrad on G4, you seriously need to find some stiffer competition

• Customizer

@Gamerman01:

Yeah, when you put it like that, British boy  :wink:

Not really because it’s played as 2 separate economies. UK has to use London money to build at the London Major IC and India Money to build at the Calcutta Major IC. Germany can use all it’s money to build at either of it’s major ICs.

Then there is the US. While they technically start with 3 Minor ICs, they upgrade automatically to Major the minute that the US is at war at no cost to the US player.
    Also, if you are just playing Europe 1940, the US starts with 2 Major ICs.

• This topic is so over.  German IC’s in Romania were for 1st edition.  It’s a very bad idea in 2nd edition - very inefficient

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

This topic is so over.  German IC’s in Romania were for 1st edition.  It’s a very bad idea in 2nd edition - very inefficient

Awe…but they’re ever so much fun for Russia to capture!  They can use a minor complex in Romania! lol

Seriously though, I could see a late game use for a complex in Romania (like after Moscow falls or when Moscow WILL fall, it’s just a matter of time) because it allows Germany to dump massive ground troops near Turkey for a push into the Middle East (because not all Alliance players will forfeit if Moscow falls…some of them need further convincing.)

Early game?  Yea, I have to agree it’s kinda a waste of money.  You’re better off if you just have Germany take S. France so they have a complex on the Med to use in shuttle some troops into N. Africa for the N.O. if you are concerned about it.  IMNSHO.

• I don’t suppose you’re able to padlock topics in this (or any?) section of the boards….

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Gamerman01:

I don’t suppose you’re able to padlock topics in this (or any?) section of the boards….

I can.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m