• For you seasoned German players out there, have you attacked the U.S in the Atlantic first? Or is that usually Japan’s role? I had seven U-Boats in the Atlantic the last game I played with nothing in the North Atlantic to sink, except the US transport, destroyer and cruiser. I refrained from attacking the Eastern U.S sea zone.

My options were stay put and await until the U.S entered the War(the US and UK were the same player), divided my force- keeping most U-Boats in the NA, while helping a mauled Italian Fleet and sending a U-Boat to preying upon a troublesome small UK fleet funneling units from South Africa to Egypt.

Your thoughts

• '21 '20 '18 '17

If America is not well prepared to do KGF, then I suggest moving the German subs to 91 the turn after the Italians take Gibraltar.

A big stack of subs can attack the American fleet, because America declares war at the end of its turn but cannot attack…if it isn’t ready, its declaring war in the face of a huge ambush…

or even invade America with a tran or two…the german planes can come through by landing Iceland or west indies.

Overall, trying to control the atlantic with german subs is not very functional.  You can crunch UK income, use the subs as the cannon fodder for your airforce whenever it comes to threatening the UK or US buildup.

However, you will be spending most of your income on a unit that cannot defend, cannot take or block territory.  Subs cannot really win you the game, so you are buying them in lieu of a surface navy or an armored attack.    You may control the Atlantic for a while, but you certainly aren’t going to suffocate or stop America (perhaps only ward them off).  A surface navy is far more functional in terms of flexibility–you can constantly threaten invasion, and even after UK and US get big, you can still sacrifice for one more chance to stop them.

Subs can also work this way, but they will all be sacrificed because they are a low attack low defense unit.  10-15 subs is not very intimidating, its very easy to strike from the air, and they cannot defend either by spreading out, holding 112… they also cannot hide in 113 as it is very easy to “slam the door” and trap the German fleet in the Baltic if it is trying to hold back…

• '19 '17 '16

@ABWorsham:

I reframed from attacking the Eastern U.S sea zone.

“refrained” not “reframed”.

Not being snotty, just lending a helping hand.  :-)

• @StuckTojo:

@ABWorsham:

Correction made

• '19 '17 '16

@taamvan:

they also cannot hide in 113 as it is very easy to “slam the door” and trap the German fleet in the Baltic if it is trying to hold back…

I don’t understand this part. They can hide in 113. If you have Denmark (should be easy to take back if you don’t), they can strike at a force blocking the Baltic in 112. But if it is coming to this it sounds like Germany has lost.

• Customizer

If you have a lot of subs and the UK fleet has been sunk and/or scared away, there is a couple of things you can accomplish.
    1 : Enough subs can convoy raid the US enough where they will actually feel it.
    2 : Convoy Raiding the US to such an extent will most likely make them angry and they will focus everything on trying to wipe out your sub force. This could give Japan a round or two break if the US was trying a KJF strategy. In some cases, this might give Japan a good enough boost to bounce back from previous American assaults. Of course, this means all of your subs will be lost.

I just realized you asked about Germany attacking the US first. So the US wouldn’t be attacking Japan yet, but they may still be planning a KJF strategy in which case all their assets will be on the west coast, maybe even Hawaii. In this case, you may end up confusing the US player and he/she ends up sending everything east to get at your subs. Then they have nothing to go after Japan with so Japan could end up spreading through the Pacific like wild fire. Bad part is the US focuses all their income on you so Germany may get squeezed between the US and Russia. But, if you have a good Japan player, they could win the war for you before the Allies reach Berlin.
    If your US player is not so reactionary, they will probably attack your subs while keeping the bulk of their assets in the west to go after Japan and not commit all that much against you. In that case, poor Japan but you should be able to take Moscow and win the war in Europe.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@StuckTojo:

@ABWorsham:

It’s creative use of the language. Maybe ABWorsham was initially in a frame of mind to attack the Eastern U.S sea zone, but then “reframed” from doing that and into doing something else.
    :-)

• '19 '17 '16

@Herr:

It’s creative use of the language. Maybe ABWorsham was initially in a frame of mind to attack the Eastern U.S sea zone, but then “reframed” from doing that and into doing something else.
    :-)

:lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m