• What are some ways to prevent Japan from sweeping in to western us if you move your navy or devote all your ipcs to transports and men for a Europe invasion? Also how should you deal with the German submarines around london(presuming they destroy the British ships there G1). And how would you defend your transports from German fighters/bombers? I want to try KGF but don’t want to leave myself open to unnecessary losses .

• In the absence of a reply from our more expert forum colleagues I thought I’d chance my arm. If I get it wrong others will come in and put me right and you’ll end up with the right advice! :-D

@Bigtasty:

What are some ways to prevent Japan from sweeping in to western us if you move your navy or devote all your ipcs to transports and men for a Europe invasion?

A J invasion of W US is not a viable option in the early stages of the game, except as a spoiler, unless J are so clever as to disguise their intentions.

The US can build enough units in W US in any one go to see off anything except a sizeable J force and you can see J’s building and placement of the large number of necessary t/ports.

Edit: Bombers in W US also slow down any J approach. In the early stages the J threat to Alaska is more real and if not seen off allows a ground force to be developed on mainland US soil, removing the one strike t/port limitation.

@Bigtasty:

Also how should you deal with the German submarines around london(presuming they destroy the British ships there G1).

Build frigates! A couple of UK frigates in UK1 can be a good start to enabling a UK2 or UK3 invasion of Norway or somesuch.

@Bigtasty:

And how would you defend your transports from German fighters/bombers?

A US Atlantic fleet probably including a loaded carrier. A US1 attempt to transport across the Atlantic (to N Africa) will mean the loss of those t/ports. By US2 you will have the start of a protective navy off the E Coast and depending where G’s units are may be able to move your first units over with a reasonable chance of defending those t/ports.

Good luck!

• Thanks! And to clarify by frigates do you mean destroyers or cruisers?

• He means Destroyers.
    I would always put my money in the Pacific. Germany can build Bombers and Fts and keep you away in the Atlantic. Concentrate on Japan. Until the UK can build a fleet off Scotland, there is no point building Transports in the Arlantic.

• @wittmann:

He means Destroyers.
    I would always put my money in the Pacific. Germany can build Bombers and Fts and keep you away in the Atlantic. Concentrate on Japan. Until the UK can build a fleet off Scotland, there is no point building Transports in the Arlantic.

You are correct wittman - destroyers!

My reading of the general view on this board has been that it favours the Atlantic and KGF. But you have taken me by surprise with Pacific over Atlantic in our forum game and it is clearly working for you! Try to do the expected from now on and I may yet win …… Is that a pig I see in the sky?

• I fly in the face of public opinion and tweak the nose of the spindly killer fish!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Here’s one affordable way to beat back a casual Japanese invasion:

USA starts with a sub off the coast of Hawaii, which you can submerge if you want during Pearl Harbor, since Japan has no destroyers in range on Japan’s first turn. Build one more submarine for 6 IPCs, and park your 2 subs off the coast of San Francisco. Japan can’t sink your subs with carrier aircraft unless they bring a destroyer with them. Meanwhile, you can build a bomber each turn in the Eastern US as part of your Kill Germany First strategy. If Japan ignores you, the bomber can go east to harass Berlin. If Japan brings a small transport fleet toward San Francisco, you can hit it and kill it with 2 subs and a bomber.

Of course, if Japan brings its entire fleet toward San Francisco, you’ll need bigger defenses – but you’ll see that coming and have time to stop it, and if Japan swings its whole fleet east, then that’s so many more turns that Siberia and India are safe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m