• Hi all,

I tried looking through the forum for an answer, but most topics seemed outdated.

I am thinking of buying Axis & Allies Europe 1940, 2nd edition. I’ve already read

• the rules of 1940 2nd ed. in a .pdf

• the FAQ of September 3, 2014

I am pretty much lost regarding scrambling.

The Rules say:
    “A quick reaction team of no more than 3 defending fighters and/or tactical bombers (strategic bombers can’t scramble) located on each island or coastal territory that has an operative air base can be scrambled to defend against attacks in the sea zones adjacent to those territories.”

The FAQ says:
    Q. Can I scramble fighters or tactical bombers from United Kingdom?
    A. No. They can only be scrambled from island territories with airbases. An island is a single territory
    completely surrounded by a single sea zone.

The FAQ leaves little room for interpretation. What appears to have happened is that the “coastal territories” have been taken out of the equation. Do you agree with the FAQ and what it implies?

• Hi ozymandiac.
    That FAQ question about England is from First Edition.
    Second Edition changed the scrambling, so anywhere with a coast could scramble. That was good, as was stupid that England could not scramble.
    Ask questions here if you are confused. Larry Harris’ official representative visits most days and he has Deputies and many here know the answers anyway.

If you like A&A, you will love 1940.

• Thank you wittmann!

I will just stick to the Rulebook then.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Ozymandiac!

The second edition FAQ can be found here.

• '21 '20 '18 '17 '16 '15 TripleA

Thanks Ozymandiac for raising this point, and thanks Wittman. I was as puzzled as you were, Ozymandiac, about the rules as it relates to 1940 Pacific 2nd edition,  but it’s all clear now.

I think some of the confusion comes from the two FAQs that were released on September 3, 2014. I only noticed the difference now, that there is one September 3, 2014 FAQ for the second edition, and another September 3, 2014 FAQ for the first edition that has the same rule that you quoted, Ozy. I think it would have been great if each FAQ really made it crystal clear that they apply to different versions of the game for dopes like me that are kinda slow :-P

• We just played a wonderful first game and noticed scrambling can be quite important.

Were we correct in interpreting the rules as follows? GB and US both have fighters in Gibraltar. Italy makes an amphibious assault on French troops on Morocco from seazone 92, using a very weak fleet. Are the US and GB fighters allowed to ‘defend’=attack the Italian fleet?

• Up to 3 Fts or Tacs can scramble, using the defence value (ft is 4, Tac 3), if  there is an Air Base, which has not got 3-6 damage on it.
    You could scramble up to six planes if you had an AB on both Morocco and Gib.
    The potential to scramble is a very good tool. Can be like a bluff in poker! Very powerful.

• Thank you all for your replies.

We weren’t sure when a naval base / airfield was no longer functional, but it’s 3 or more damage? It didn’t come up in our game, but it’s good to know for the next.

Regarding the amphibious assault scenario from earlier: the way we played it was that the attacker would send airplanes to his own fleet (from which he would offload) just in case the defender on Gibraltar would scramble and defend-attack the fleet. Is this correct? Because we quickly figured that this makes amphibious assaults a lot weaker. Airplanes are designated to offloading fleets in such large numbers that the defender will no longer attack/defend the fleet, in which case the attacker just used up his airplanes for a battle that never took place.

• Correct to both.
    A NB or AB still functions with 2 damage.
    And a  scrambling plane can mess up an amphibious attack, so you must always have sufficient cover, just in case.

• have not played 1940 for ages (just to f’in long :p) but gonna play europe 1940 again soon.

am I correct that if the germans have planes in S. italy, they can help the italians even though there are no german ships in the seazone being attacked?

same thing for that french fighter in UK can it help the british even though there are no french ships in the seazone being attacked

• That is right, gtsg. Maximum of 3 per AB.
    The French (or German) player, if different, would have to agree of course!

• Official Q&A

The “guest” power must also be at war with the attacking power in order to scramble.

• thank you lads, for the clarification :p

cheers

• I also have a question about scrambling.Instead od making new post i figured i could Ask it here.
    I haveA&A europe 1940 2nd edition

Is it possible to scramble fighters from carrier that is in adjecent space, or can i scramble only from airbases next to sea zones?

Thx

• '17 '16 '15

You can only scramble from the AB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m