Anyone need some armored vehicles?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Saw this article today and thought many of you would appreciate it. Especially Sgt. Wil Tan… if you are out there sir.

Private military vehicle collection in California to be auctioned off. For being a private collection, there are a staggering number of vehicles here. It is interesting to see what has survived and how it got here today. I would recommend following the link at the bottom of the article to the auction website so you can look at all the vehicles… much more interesting than the article itself. Time well spent.

Favorite item:   M4A3E2  Sherman “Jumbo” Assault Tank version (Pictured at top of the article). Was designed for use against German beach fortifications during assault and was fitted with heavier armor and a more angular turret than normal Shermans. Ended up being used as a point tank due to its ability to survive hits better than standard Shermans. Due to the extremely few number of surviving examples it is almost certain that all saw action in Europe in 1944 - 1945. One of these Jumbos, now residing in Ft. Benning, GA, was the first tank to break into Bastogne and relieve the airborne troops there.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/06/03/huge-collection-military-vehicles-being-auctioned-in-july/?intcmp=features

Thanks for showing the link. That is sweet! :-D

• I’d be tempted to pick up one of the tanks if I had a few million dollars in spare cash, but I might have trouble bringing it across the borner into Canada.  On the other hand, it’s possible the Border Services people might have one look at the main gun and decide to let me through without any argument whatsoever.  :-)

• Haha, awesome!  I wondered about that tank variant as I play Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra mod) and it shows up on some maps.  I couldn’t tell exactly what was different about it.  I just might start picking it when I can now that I know what it was exactly.  I think there even was a 76mm variant that was used later to help against tougher German armor (at least the turret appears the same but the gun barrel is much longer)

• @Jermofoot:

I couldn’t tell exactly what was different about it.  I just might start picking it when I can now that I know what it was exactly.  I think there even was a 76mm variant that was used later to help against tougher German armor (at least the turret appears the same but the gun barrel is much longer)

The glacis plate looked flatter and more sharply angled than on a standard Sherman, which makes sense in view of its intended purpose.

• I would love that Mark IV. I have seen a picture of one(possibly that same one) in Syrian colours.
    Never been a fan of the Sherman. (Like Wittmann himself, I am sure.)

Thank you for posting the article Hoffman.

• @wittmann:

He probably didn’t like the fact that the Americans were producing so many Shermans, but he probably liked the fact that he was the one shooting at them (with a Tiger tank, no less) rather than being one of the Allied crew members inside them, given how thin the Sherman’s armour was.

I’m not picky, I would take any of them, but I would have to build a museum first, to house them all. :-D

• @CWO:

@wittmann:

He probably didn’t like the fact that the Americans were producing so many Shermans, but he probably liked the fact that he was the one shooting at them (with a Tiger tank, no less) rather than being one of the Allied crew members inside them, given how thin the Sherman’s armour was.

He had more success in Russia Marc.
    Not sure how many Shermans he brewed up, but I would be surprised if it were more than a handful. I think at Villers Bocage the tanks he destroyed were all Cromwells.
    I was referring to the fact that a Firefly took his Tiger 007(actually Battalion commander’s tank) apart in Operation Totalise on the 8th August.

• Nice avatar John Brown.

@wittmann:

Nice avatar John Brown.

Thanks wittmann! I found the picture the other day and thought it would be neat. You know me, I like to change my avatars, all the time, LOL. :-D

• @wittmann:

I was referring to the fact that a Firefly took his Tiger 007(actually Battalion commander’s tank) apart in Operation Totalise on the 8th  August.

Ah, I see.  It’s interesting that his Tiger tank bore the number that would be later become synonymous with James Bond (who, in You Only Live Twice, would meet a Japanese Secret Service agent named “Tiger” Tanaka, as an added layer of coincidence).

• Customizer

Lucas and others,

––Thanks for posting the listing of Historical Military Vehicles for sale. I enjoyed looking through the units a great deal.

––I am in the last stages of establishing my Railroad & Military History Museum. I’m expecting some major funding very soon, hopefully this month (June '14). I had already planned to purchase a
    U.S. Half-track, Jeep, GMC ‘Jimmy’ 2 1/2-ton truck, and one day hopefully,…a Sherman tank. The above listings are most welcome but I’m not sure if my funding and licensing will be completed before this auction occurs.
    ----I would say to any and all,….if you learn of any other Military History items that come up for sale or auctions,…PLEASE let me know.

Tall Paul

@wittmann:

I would love that Mark IV. I have seen a picture of one(possibly that same one) in Syrian colours.

Thank you for posting the article Hoffman.

No problem guys… glad you all enjoyed it.

I am really not much of a Sherman fan either. It is are kind of ugly compared to most German tanks.

But, being a US tank and a mainstay of the Allied armies, I look at it with warm feelings and would never turn one down for a ride!

Also, I noticed that a few of the vehicles say “This Lot is a registered Destructive Device…” and that special qualifications are needed to bid on it.

I assume this means the weapon(s) on it are still functional in some capacity?

What fun is having a tank if the gun doesn’t work?  :x   Getting ammunition might be problematic though.

• @LHoffman:

Also, I noticed that a few of the vehicles say “This Lot is a registered Destructive Device…” and that special qualifications are needed to bid on it.

I assume this means the weapon(s) on it are still functional in some capacity?

What fun is having a tank if the gun doesn’t work?  :x   Getting ammunition might be problematic though.

They could be refering to the fact that a tank whose engine and running gear are operational can still do an awful lot of damage without firing a shot, as is spectacularly demonstrated in the James Bond film Goldeneye.  But perhaps they mean that its main gun hasn’t been rendered fully inoperable (by whatever standard applies for such a weapon to be considered completely harmless).  Thermite grenades were very handy for jobs like that in WWII: they could melt the breech mechanism of a big artillery piece and turn it into useless junk.

I agree that a tank whose main gun can’t go kaboom wouldn’t be as enjoyable as one that could at least fire blanks (to say nothing about one that could fire real shells), but I’d still be happy owning one if I had the required space and money.  I once had the pleasure of sitting with a friend of mine in the two aimer seats of a 40mm Bofors AAA mounting whose elevation and deflection hand cranks still worked perfectly.  We spent about a minute swinging the gun up and down and all around, aiming at one nearby building after another.  It didn’t shoot (obviously), but we had a ball nonetheless.  I was surprised at how quickly and easily this big piece of hardware responded to our hand cranking.  Great fun.

It’s too bad the sellers want real cash.  In A&A, you can pick up a decent Sherman for just a few IPCs.

• @CWO:

@wittmann:

I was referring to the fact that a Firefly took his Tiger 007(actually Battalion commander’s tank) apart in Operation Totalise on the 8th  August.

Ah, I see.  It’s interesting that his Tiger tank bore the number that would be later become synonymous with James Bond (who, in You Only Live Twice, would meet a Japanese Secret Service agent named “Tiger” Tanaka, as an added layer of coincidence).

I do love your knowledge Marc. Thank you for that.
    When I saw the 007 tank number, I said: that can’t have been Wittmann’s Tiger. I forgot his was damaged and he used Von Westernhagen’s Tiger.
    I do wonder if he had survived Normandy, whether he would still have been in command of the 2nd Company in December. What would he have done with a Tiger II?

• @John:

@wittmann:

Nice avatar John Brown.

Thanks wittmann! I found the picture the other day and thought it would be neat. You know me, I like to change my avatars, all the time, LOL. :-D

I love my pic of Wittmann and am too computer retarded to know how to change it anyway. (My wife opened this account and did the pic.)

I am half Italian and do love the Italian WW2 Fighters.
    Not much to love about the tanks!

@wittmann:

@John:

@wittmann:

Nice avatar John Brown.

I love my pic of Wittmann and am too computer retarded to know how to change it anyway. (My wife opened this account and did the pic.)

I am half Italian and do love the Italian WW2 Fighters.
    Not much to love about the tanks!

Believe it or not, I just learned how a couple of years ago. I guess everything I learn, I learn the hard way, LOL. :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m