Redleg13A starts to paint his own pieces

• '16 Customizer

@Redleg13A:

Nope, it was the fighter that came in the Italian box, a Fiat G55 I believe.

Really… hmm, is that 2nd Edition? Nice piece.

• I’m going to “try” to paint the symbols lol. If it becomes too complicated then I’ll probably go with decals since they’re nice and uniform. The pieces I posted still have some touch up work that needs to be done. I quickly realized the room I was painting in didn’t have adequate lighting so I ended up using a head lamp. I also realized that my eyes aren’t as good as they were when I was 15 LOL.

Yep, these are 2nd edition ones.

I think the question is going to be now…how much patience will my wife put up with lol? I want to do this non stop until I have sufficient pieces to play a global game with all forces represented which will take up quite a lot of time as one can imagine. I can just imagine her standing with her hands on her hips saying “you’ve got three seconds to put that crap down and come hang out with me and the kids” !

• @Spitfire38:

@Redleg13A:

Nope, it was the fighter that came in the Italian box, a Fiat G55 I believe.

Really… hmm, is that 2nd Edition? Nice piece.

I checked my unit identification charts (see the extract below).  The Global 2nd Italian fighter is a C.202 Folgore.

Folgore.jpg

• @Redleg13A:

I think the question is going to be now…how much patience will my wife put up with lol? I want to do this non stop until I have sufficient pieces to play a global game with all forces represented which will take up quite a lot of time as one can imagine. I can just imagine her standing with her hands on her hips saying “you’ve got three seconds to put that crap down and come hang out with me and the kids” !

The optimal solution would be to recruit her and the kids to help you with the painting, under the pretext that it would be a fun family activity.  This will not only stop the complaints from your wife, it will also enable you to get your pieces painted faster.

• @CWO:

@Redleg13A:

The optimal solution would be to recruit her and the kids to help you with the painting, under the pretext that it would be a fun family activity.  This will not only stop the complaints from your wife, it will also enable you to get your pieces painted faster.

Absolutely. Unfortunately that’s a few years off since my children are 18 months and 5 months old respectively!

BUT, in a few years time I plan of having at least the children try it out as a dad/kids activity.

• Nice job

• Some more stuff I finished just a few minutes ago.

image.jpg

• Another angle.

image.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Nice job man, nice job! :-D

• Nice touch to have given the Italian battleships their recognition stripes.

• I decided to use those stripes on all the sea vessels (besides the carrier) since they were so distinctively Italian. I tried to do the Italian insignia on the bomber but I got impatient and applied the black paint a little too soon and it smeared a bit…I’ll have another go at it tonight.

• Knocked these out last night…Starting to build some momentum! A question for you more experienced guys…how to you make super straight lines or perfect seams for things like the base flags or national identifiers on things like aircraft wings?

photo.JPG

@Redleg13A:

Knocked these out last night…Starting to build some momentum! A question for you more experienced guys…how to you make super straight lines or perfect seams for things like the base flags or national identifiers on things like aircraft wings?

Wow Redleg, those are nice! Great job! :-D

• '16 Customizer

@Redleg13A:

Knocked these out last night…Starting to build some momentum! A question for you more experienced guys…how to you make super straight lines or perfect seams for things like the base flags or national identifiers on things like aircraft wings?

That picture came out a bit small - I’d love to get a bigger view if you get the chance. That AAA looks pretty nice!

For me, making straight lines is a combination of a steady hand/firm posture and some tweaking of the paint job right after I paint it. My paint is thick enough that I can take a wooden bamboo skewer and use the small tip to wipe off excess paint from the edges of the line and trim it into straightness if it isn’t already. It’s also important that I hold the piece with my arms on the desk, and not just suspended in the air, as I can’t get a steady hand without some support. I don’t know if these tips are helpful; you can probably figure out a what works best for you!

• @Spitfire38:

For me, making straight lines is a combination of a steady hand/firm posture

I’m thinking of the line from the movie Blazing Saddles in which Jim explains why he’s all washed up as a gunfighter:

Jim: Look at my hand.

[raises hand and holds it level]

Bart: Steady as a rock.

Jim: [raises his other hand, which is violently trembling] Yeah, but I shoot with this one.

@CWO:

@Spitfire38:

For me, making straight lines is a combination of a steady hand/firm posture

I’m thinking of the line from the movie Blazing Saddles in which Jim explains why he’s all washed up as a gunfighter:

Jim: Look at my hand.

[raises hand and holds it level]

Bart: Steady as a rock.

Jim: [raises his other hand, which is violently trembling] Yeah, but I shoot with this one.

LOL, that is funny!  :-D

• Customizer

@Redleg13A:

––If you’re asking about national ensigns, alphabets, numbers, or stripes…
    NOTHING is as sharp, crisp, and STRAIGHT as a DECAL.
    ––I can heartily refer you to I-94 ENTERPRISES for there line of WW2 decals. If you go to their “SCANS” page of their website you can see actual scans of the decal sheet and what is included on each different sheet. I highly recommend this company. Let me know if you need a “link” to them.

Tall Paul

• Redleg13,  really like you color scheme on that Italian P.108 bomber and your AAA guns! well done

• @Tall:

@Redleg13A:

––If you’re asking about national ensigns, alphabets, numbers, or stripes…
    NOTHING is as sharp, crisp, and STRAIGHT as a DECAL.
    ––I can heartily refer you to I-94 ENTERPRISES for there line of WW2 decals. If you go to their “SCANS” page of their website you can see actual scans of the decal sheet and what is included on each different sheet. I highly recommend this company. Let me know if you need a “link” to them.

Tall Paul

Thanks for the advice, go ahead and shoot me that link. I have a feeling that decals might be the way to go for me.

I’ve lost momentum over the past couple of days, I had to go out of town the past couple of days and then while I was out of town I got a massive boil in a VERY inconvenient area that brought me to my knees…DAMMIT! I’ve got less than 2 weeks to really hit this up before I have to leave for 6 weeks to Ft Knox…AAAARGGGH! Patience isn’t one of my virtues lol.

• Here’s everything I’ve gotten done so far.

And a closer look at the AA guns for Spitfire. (that’s my daughter creepin in the pic).

total.jpg
    close up.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m