Painting Custom ANZAC and French units.

• I don’t have the Global '40, and don’t wish to aquire it, as getting both would cost me over $200 at my game store. Instead, I plan to modify the Anniversary a bit to allow for French and ANZAC units. I’m still working on how they will get units. I’m deciding between having them get troops similar to how China does, with modified rules, or giving them I.P.C. income. I’m going to take spare Russian units for the French, and Spare UK units for the ANZAC. I’m also going to either purchase their respective controls markers on eBay, or paint some simple ones on the backs of extras I have. I might also do some serious digging through eBay to see if I can get some units that way, but my intial searches haven’t come up with anything.

Is this a good idea, or shoud I give in and purchase the '40s?

• It depends on what your priorities are, and ultimately you’re the only one who can decide on whether the trade-offs are worth it for you.  There have been various other threads on this forum that, in one way or another, have all asked “Instead of buying the real thing, can I save money by hotwiring something else to look like the real thing?”  My own feeling is that this method may be more trouble than it’s worth, may not necessarily save you much money, and will in all likelihood produce a result that has a patchwork appearance.  Some players may not be bothered by the patchy look, but others have a different view and may feel that (as the old expression goes, “the bitterness of the low quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of the low price.”

• @CWO:

It depends on what your priorities are, and ultimately you’re the only one who can decide on whether the trade-offs are worth it for you.  There have been various other threads on this forum that, in one way or another, have all asked “Instead of buying the real thing, can I save money by hotwiring something else to look like the real thing?”  My own feeling is that this method may be more trouble than it’s worth, may not necessarily save you much money, and will in all likelihood produce a result that has a patchwork appearance.  Some players may not be bothered by the patchy look, but others have a different view and may feel that (as the old expression goes, “the bitterness of the low quality lasts much longer than the sweetness of the low price.”

I’ve already got the paint I need (from other projects for other games). Patchy work doesn’t bother me that much. I guess the real question is: what do you think of my idea to modify the Anniversary to allow for the ANZAC and French? Any ideas you could give me?

• '18 '17 '16

Why don’t you download a custom map of Global from here instead of using Anniversary board? The custom maps are much better than the boards and they will have the air bases and naval bases printed on them. Otherwise you will be stuck finding chits as well for the bases aside from your quest for roundels. If you live in North America I’ll mail you my roundels for free since I’m using custom roundels now.

You can get Grasshopper’s map files in this thread here;
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=39696.0

• @Schmidty1701:

I’m going to take spare Russian units for the French, and Spare UK units for the ANZAC. I’m also going to either purchase their respective controls markers on eBay, or paint some simple ones on the backs of extras I have.

If you just want to do slight modifications to Anniversary and don’t want to spend big bucks on 1940 (I’m assuming beyond the cash issue, it’s also a time/rules issue? You don’t want to actually play 1940, you’d rather just modify the smaller Anniversary?), I’d recommend just buying the French and ANZAC UNITS from 1940 off of Historical Board Gaming’s website. If you just want French and Aussie units, this would be the far more cost-effective and hassle-free way of doing it.

If you actually WANT to play 1940, I disagree with the printing of the map suggestion if money is an issue, because having a good-sized map of Global printed is going to cost you almost as much as buying the games themselves (without getting all the units that come with it)… while the printed maps ARE superior to what you get out of the box, printing maps is never about saving money, its about getting a better map. If you really want to play 1940, just buy 1940… you’ll get everything you need and you’ll be supporting the company that made it (and might offer more in the future if supported for their work).

If you’re just looking to expand Anniversary to include France and ANZAC, just buy the 1940 units for those two countries from HBG. That’s my opinion (right or wrong).

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

Why don’t you download a custom map of Global from here instead of using Anniversary board? The custom maps are much better than the boards and they will have the air bases and naval bases printed on them. Otherwise you will be stuck finding chits as well for the bases aside from your quest for roundels. If you live in North America I’ll mail you my roundels for free since I’m using custom roundels now.

I do live in North America! That would be awsome!

• @Nowhere:

@Schmidty1701:

I’m going to take spare Russian units for the French, and Spare UK units for the ANZAC. I’m also going to either purchase their respective controls markers on eBay, or paint some simple ones on the backs of extras I have.

If you just want to do slight modifications to Anniversary and don’t want to spend big bucks on 1940 (I’m assuming beyond the cash issue, it’s also a time/rules issue? You don’t want to actually play 1940, you’d rather just modify the smaller Anniversary?), I’d recommend just buying the French and ANZAC UNITS from 1940 off of Historical Board Gaming’s website. If you just want French and Aussie units, this would be the far more cost-effective and hassle-free way of doing it.

If you actually WANT to play 1940, I disagree with the printing of the map suggestion if money is an issue, because having a good-sized map of Global printed is going to cost you almost as much as buying the games themselves (without getting all the units that come with it)… while the printed maps ARE superior to what you get out of the box, printing maps is never about saving money, its about getting a better map. If you really want to play 1940, just buy 1940… you’ll get everything you need and you’ll be supporting the company that made it (and might offer more in the future if supported for their work).

If you’re just looking to expand Anniversary to include France and ANZAC, just buy the 1940 units for those two countries from HBG. That’s my opinion (right or wrong).

I’ll look into purchasing the units off their site. Thank you.

• '18 '17 '16

@Schmidty1701:

@GeneralHandGrenade:

PM me your name and address and I’ll put together what I have. Do you only need France and ANZAC or do you want the whole works?

• Aaa GHG beat me too it. I’d gave u some of my French and Anzac pieces too.

quote author=GeneralHandGrenade link=topic=41146.msg1723473#msg1723473 date=1513271858]
    @Schmidty1701:

@GeneralHandGrenade:

PM me your name and address and I’ll put together what I have. Do you only need France and ANZAC or do you want the whole works?

• '18 '17 '16

I was just going to fork over my roundels SS. Feel free to send a well equipped, well fed army capable of stemming the onslaught of fascism and imperialism at the dawn of the nuclear age.

• @GeneralHandGrenade:

I was just going to fork over my roundels SS. Feel free to send a well equipped, well fed army capable of stemming the onslaught of fascism and imperialism at the dawn of the nuclear age.

Attack !!!

Smitty I sent you a PM

I do sell pieces cheaper than HBG plus I do have the 3 x 6  anniversary map also that I may part with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m