• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Lately there have been a few groups of people working on new ideas to take Global from cool to masterpiece (e.g. Gamerman’s house league version, uncrustable’s G40 enhanced, and people like Oztea and Young Grasshopper’s group who make ongoing efforts to tweak the game).  Anyway I have another idea and I’ll put it here in case anyone sees merit in it.

Garrison (homeguard/volksturm/partisans/militia/headhunters,etc)
    Anytime a land territory is attacked, one die is rolled for its defense in addition to the dice for any units occupying it.  The garrison hits on a value equal to the territory’s IPC value +1 (for example, Marianas’ garrison hits on a 1; Buryatia’s hits on a 2; Rostov’s hits on a 3; Holland’s hits on a 4; Java’s hits on a 5; Germany or Western USA always hits).  Garrisons do not stop a blitz, but if a lone tank attempts to blitz through an empty territory and the garrison hits, the tank fails to take the territory; it dies right there and does not proceed into the second territory.  If a tank blitzes accompanied by at least 1 other tank or mechanized infantry and the the garrison hits, then the territory is taken but one of the mobile units dies and the remaining ones continue the blitz.

Why?  This is meant to stop cheesy stuff like risk-free blitzing in and back out of “empty” territories, or a single tank taking over millions of square miles of “empty” land in Northern Russia or Africa.  In real life there are always some kind of a garrison or local militia groups during wartime.  This rule would reflect realities like Dutch garrisons defending the DEIs (as well as these headhunter guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhoKS3F1Qo ).  Territories with higher IPC values are more likely to hit (ie they hit on higher dice rolls) because they have more population, more cities, and would be defended more strongly with fortifications etc.

• But you remove the value from the tank as a Blitzing unit…

How bout something like this:

Only in your original starting areas that are empty you can place 1 infantry regardless if you have a factory. This unit can be one you already built, or moved anywhere ( no restrictions even across the sea) to a empty and original area you control.

Or you can just build 1 infantry per turn in these areas for the cost of 4 IPC.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

tanks can still blitz, but they run a risk.

• I really like it variance.

Can’t think of any major drawbacks.

Think it needs added as a G40 enhancement ;)

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

cool! see how it goes.

• Garrison defense. (homeguard/volksturm/partisans/militia/headhunters,etc)
    Anytime a land territory is attacked, one die is rolled for its defense in addition to the dice for any units occupying it. This die is rolled for every round the battle continues. The garrison hits on a value equal to the territory’s IPC value +1 (for example, Marianas’ garrison hits on a 1; Holland’s hits on a 4; Germany or Western USA always hits) Garrisons will never roll more than 1 dice per round of combat. A garrison will never extend a battle (Once the defending units are destroyed the battle is over) An empty territory would roll 1 dice before falling to the enemy, in the case where 1 unit is attacking and that unit dies to the garrison, the territory does not change ownership. Garrisons do not stop a blitz, but if a lone tank attempts to blitz through an empty territory and the garrison hits, the tank fails to take the territory; it dies right there and does not proceed into the second territory.  If a tank blitz is accompanied by at least 1 other tank or mechanized infantry and the garrison hits, then the territory is taken but one of the mobile units dies and the remaining units continue the blitz.

What do you think? (I added some wording)

Also i assumed that a garrison would roll each round of the battle (but would never extend a battle), am i right?

Also maybe +1 is too much, just roll for the value of the territory.
    Either make the minimum 1 (zero IPC territories would still roll at 1), or just leave zero IPC territories with no garrison.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Uncrustable:

This die is rolled for every round the battle continues.

What do you think? (I added some wording)

Also i assumed that a garrison would roll each round of the battle (but would never extend a battle), am i right?

Also maybe +1 is too much, just roll for the value of the territory.
    Either make the minimum 1 (zero IPC territories would still roll at 1), or just leave zero IPC territories with no garrison.

Yeah that sounds right.  I was thinking they wuld just roll in the first round but you could have them roll in each round until all the defenders units are gone.  You could make them hit on whatever the IPC value is, or on a 1, whichever is greater.  I would like to see islands and territories with no IPC value hit on a 1.

• I’m not sure I like the idea of losing a tank straight off to a garrison; besides, a last-ditch defense garrison is not necessarily going to have the anti-tank equipment that an army supplied infantry division might. So perhaps if a garrison hits a lone tank, the blitz fails, but the tank is forced to stop in that territory. If it was the second territory in a blitz, then the tank is forced back to the first territory it entered. Of course, you could bring along a mech to guarantee you take the second territory, but if the second garrison hit, you would lose the mech. I don’t know how you would handle double tank blitzes with this, however.

A question though-when do empty territory garrisons roll? I would think you record the movement and treat it like a battle, because otherwise if the first blitz failed you could try again (like sending planes over AAA in revised).

• Yeah that sounds right.  I was thinking they wuld just roll in the first round but you could have them roll in each round until all the defenders units are gone.  You could make them hit on whatever the IPC value is, or on a 1, whichever is greater.  I would like to see islands and territories with no IPC value hit on a 1.

A question though-when do empty territory garrisons roll? I would think you record the movement and treat it like a battle, because otherwise if the first blitz failed you could try again (like sending planes over AAA in revised).

Im thinking it would work similar to naval mines in 1914. (That is you move, then check/roll dice)

Im also starting to think that we need a number system to determine what territories would roll at, as currently it is a bit high.
    such as:
    0-2IPC roll at 1
    3-5IPC roll at 2
    6IPC+  roll at 3

Critical areas (Russia, Germany, Italy, France) are rolling at a 2 or less.
    While the major areas (UK, Japan, USA) are rolling at a 3 or less.
    All the minor areas are only rolling at 1, and all territories get a roll.

You will never have a greater than 50% chance of killing a unit with a garrison alone.

• My only suggestion would be to call it something other than “garrison”.  The units you’ve listed are all basically irregulars, guerillas and resistance groups of one sort or another, ranging from the formal (Home Guard) to the informal (partisans).  A garrison refers, I think, to the regular military personnel who are assigned to man a fixed facility such as a fort, so it’s not the same thing.  I’d suggest using “irregulars” as a blanket term.

• Irregulars sound really silly, not to menti

Home Gaurs would work too

• Irregulars sound really silly, not to mention making no sense

Home Guard would work
    It is self explanatory

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

If they will roll on every round of battle you would want to reduce their odds of hitting. I was thinking they would only roll once like AA but either way should work.

You could call them:
    “la resistance” for France
    “volksturm” for Germany
    “partisans” for Russia
    “home guard” for UK/ANZAC
    “homeland security” for USA
    “mafioso” for Italy
    “fanatical civilians” for Japan
    “communist insurgents” for China
    “headhunters” for Dutch colonies (as per the video above  :-) )

What the heck, let’s just call them terrorists.

• @Uncrustable:

Irregulars sound really silly, not to mention making no sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregulars

• @CWO:

@Uncrustable:

Irregulars sound really silly, not to mention making no sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregulars

To those who don’t know, (most people) it sounds silly
    Home Guard however would make sense to most people
    It’s self explanatory

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

“Irregular” is correct I guess but it sounds like they might have some kind of bowel problems.  I guess eating prunes is good for that.

• I hate prunes. But, for the record, I am very regular.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

keep up the good work Wittmann

• @variance:

If they will roll on every round of battle you would want to reduce their odds of hitting. I was thinking they would only roll once like AA but either way should work.

I just don’t like the idea of garenteed hits
    No unit without technology rolls higher than 4

0-2 at 1
    3-5 at 2
    6+  at 3
    Simple and not too powerful

Either way though it’s a good idea

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m