Hall of Shame - tales of the worst dice ever

• '17

Flawless 2-round strafe on Transjordan. My British whiff 12@2 and 2@3.

Only a 0.01% chance of Italians escaping with no casualties.

@Me1945:

Combat Move - Italians
                Battle in Trans-Jordan
                    Italians attack with 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 1 fighter, 4 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber
                    British defend with 1 armour, 1 artillery, 4 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys
                        Italians roll dice for 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 1 fighter, 4 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Trans-Jordan, round 2 :  2/8 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery, 4 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys in Trans-Jordan, round 2 :  0/8 hits
                        2 infantry owned by the British lost in Trans-Jordan
                        Italians roll dice for 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 1 fighter, 4 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Trans-Jordan, round 3 :  4/8 hits
                        British roll dice for 1 armour, 1 artillery, 2 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys in Trans-Jordan, round 3 :  0/6 hits
                        2 infantry owned by the British and 2 mech_infantrys owned by the British lost in Trans-Jordan
                    1 artillery owned by the Italians and 4 infantry owned by the Italians retreated to Iraq
                    British win with 1 armour and 1 artillery remaining. Battle score for attacker is 20
                    Casualties for British: 4 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys

• 98/9% to win

Battle in Holland Belgium
                    Germans attack with 1 armour, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                    Americans defend with 2 infantry
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 :  0/5 hits
                        Americans roll dice for 2 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 :  1/2 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Holland Belgium
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Holland Belgium, round 3 :  0/4 hits
                        Americans roll dice for 2 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 3 :  1/2 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Holland Belgium
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour, 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Holland Belgium, round 4 :  1/3 hits
                        Americans roll dice for 2 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 4 :  2/2 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the Germans , 1 infantry owned by the Americans and 1 mech_infantry owned by the Germans lost in Holland Belgium
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour in Holland Belgium, round 5 :  0/1 hits
                        Americans roll dice for 1 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 5 :  1/1 hits
                        1 armour owned by the Germans lost in Holland Belgium
                    Americans win with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is -16
                    Casualties for Germans: 1 armour, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                    Casualties for Americans: 1 infantry

My 3’s are amazing.  This seems to happen a bit, though usually in China.

• “Misery loves company”  Few quotes are truer than that one.

15+ years ago I was playing the 2nd ed. game with some college friends.  We only played each other….meaning we were not very good which explains the unit mix coming up.

I was Germany and attacking Karelia several hours into the game.  I was attacking with 12 fighters (such a noob purchase  :roll:) and some number of other units (I don’t remember).  What came next I will never forget and has always set the bar for a dice whipping…my opponent shot down 11 out of 12 fighters. :-o

• '15 '14

Curse or blessing when a game gets screwed in G1 already?

99,916% seems not to be 100%, obv. And the irony is: I always tell people not to dilute the attack on France and always take the full amount of ground units. And despite that I am the one who gets screwed while I would say 90%+ of the A&A players never failed on France G1.

Battle in France
                    Germans attack with 6 armour, 3 artilleries, 7 infantry and 4 mech_infantrys
                    French defend with 1 aaGun, 1 airfield, 1 armour, 1 artillery, 1 factory_major, 1 fighter and 6 infantry; British defend with 1 armour and 1 artillery
                        Germans roll dice for 6 armour, 3 artilleries, 7 infantry and 4 mech_infantrys in France, round 2 :  3/20 hits
                        French roll dice for 1 aaGun, 2 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 fighter and 6 infantry in France, round 2 :  4/11 hits
                        2 infantry owned by the French , 4 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 aaGun owned by the French lost in France
                        Germans roll dice for 6 armour, 3 artilleries, 3 infantry and 4 mech_infantrys in France, round 3 :  2/16 hits
                        French roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 fighter and 4 infantry in France, round 3 :  5/9 hits
                        2 infantry owned by the French , 3 infantry owned by the Germans and 2 mech_infantrys owned by the Germans lost in France
                        Germans roll dice for 6 armour, 3 artilleries and 2 mech_infantrys in France, round 4 :  1/11 hits
                        French roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 fighter and 2 infantry in France, round 4 :  3/7 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the French , 1 artillery owned by the Germans and 2 mech_infantrys owned by the Germans lost in France
                        Germans roll dice for 6 armour and 2 artilleries in France, round 5 :  1/8 hits
                        French roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries, 1 fighter and 1 infantry in France, round 5 :  3/6 hits
                        1 infantry owned by the French , 1 armour owned by the Germans and 2 artilleries owned by the Germans lost in France
                        Germans roll dice for 5 armour in France, round 6 :  4/5 hits
                        French roll dice for 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 1 fighter in France, round 6 :  4/5 hits
                        1 armour owned by the French , 1 armour owned by the British , 4 armour owned by the Germans , 1 artillery owned by the British and 1 artillery owned by the French lost in France
                        Germans roll dice for 1 armour in France, round 7 :  0/1 hits
                        French roll dice for 1 fighter in France, round 7 :  1/1 hits
                        1 armour owned by the Germans lost in France
                    French win with 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is -42
                    Casualties for Germans: 6 armour, 3 artilleries, 7 infantry and 4 mech_infantrys
                    Casualties for French: 1 aaGun, 1 armour, 1 artillery and 6 infantry
                    Casualties for British: 1 armour and 1 artillery

• '19 '18

Phew, that right there would lead to me resigning immediately :-)

• He only showed the France battle.
    JDOW, show the whole turn.
    The other battles went poorly also, except for Z106
    And yes, 99.916% of players would quit and start over  :-)
    But JDOW is a rare breed

And I agree you dilute the Paris attack at your own peril, for even if you take in all ground there is a small chance it will fail….

And by fail, I don’t just mean failing to capture Paris with Germany.  Losing any tanks is a failure

• '15 '14

Well, the rest of the turn was below average but no disaster.

Yugo made 3/5, the DD in 109 hit and BB, CC and DD scored 2 hits in 111. Both my subs survived in 106. As I won 106 I’d say the rest of the battles was just slightly below average.

• But that is relevant information, because coupled with France it’s even worse.  A horrible France could be offset partially by great results everywhere else

• '15 '14

I have to say I would disagree here.

In case you lose your entire 7346 in France, this can’t be compensated even with flawless battles on any other place in G1:)
    Germany is doomed unless extraordinarily lucky in later phases or playing a very weak opponent or be lucky that the opponent makes a major blunder in later rounds (e.g. losing Moscow by overlooking blitz move or losing entire US fleet by oversight or so)

• Playing a live game with a friend, he attacked me with a few inf and 15 tanks. I remember 15 because i remember taking the calculator afterwards.

I forget the # of hits with his infs, but he hit me 0 times with tanks. Zero. Nil. None. Kaput. Rien. Nada.

That’s one chance out of 32768 or 0.00305%. Yeah.

Also starting the game with snake eyes on two german bombers doing SBR stinks. Happened before once if not twice - not huge statistics, 2.77% chance, but it’s pretty brutal.

• Got one for you today.  I’ll post it since he probably won’t.

Boldfresh v Ghostglider, 2 of the top players in the league

G4 attack on London

15 infantry, 13 artillery, 5 tanks, 2 fighters, 3 tactical, 1 bomber, 1 cruiser shot
    v
    5 AA, 23 infantry, 1 mech, 2 artillery

Average result, Germany wins losing 1 fighter and 15 infantry, taking with 13 artillery, 5 tanks, 5 air

.02% chance - 1 tank, 4 air
    <.01% chance - 1 tank, 3 air
    <.01% chance - 1 tank, 2 air

Germany wins the battle, but with only 1 tank, 1 fighter, 1 bomber

Chance is incalculable, but significantly less than 1/10,000, in the biggest battle of the game
    Ghostglider says he thinks he will still win.  I highly doubt it.  :-)

• '19 '18

Wow this is crazy. Really crazy dice.

You know what drives me nuts? When you position your army in such a way, that an attack from the opponent would be insane. And when that opponent still attacks… and wins!

The latest example I experienced (but not the craziest) is in my game against Shin Ji, where his Japanese fleet attacked with a ~45% success chance and average -36 TUV. It resulted in +86 for him…

• 2024 '22 '19 '17 '15

Combat - Germans
               Battle in France
                   Germans attack with 4 armour, 3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 7 infantry, 2 mech_infantrys and 1 tactical_bomber
                   British defend with 1 armour and 1 artillery; French defend with 1 aaGun, 1 airfield, 1 armour, 1 artillery, 1 factory_major, 1 fighter and 6 infantry
                   French win with 2 armour, 2 artilleries and 1 fighter remaining. Battle score for attacker is -63
                   Casualties for Germans: 4 armour, 3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 7 infantry, 2 mech_infantrys and 1 tactical_bomber
                   Casualties for French: 1 aaGun and 6 infantry
               Battle in Southern France
                   Germans attack with 2 armour and 2 mech_infantrys
                   French defend with 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 1 infantry
                   French win with 1 artillery remaining. Battle score for attacker is -17
                   Casualties for Germans: 2 armour and 2 mech_infantrys
                   Casualties for French: 1 infantry

We are looking at loosing two ~99% battles in G1…  :|

• AAAGHH!!!  That is horrible, El!!

• This one got the whole table singing the soviet national anthem- worst and best dice rolls.
    Germany is hounding Russia hard and gets to the gates of moscow with 17 tanks, 5 inf and 2 mech inf (Germanys big stack of planes are one space behind landed in friendly territory).  Russia has 15 inf, a fighter and 2 art.  Russia is looking like it will fall next German turn.  Rather than deal with the planes Russia decides to go on the offensive and attacks the stack of tanks.  Russia rolls 14 hits first round (ironically, the plane missed)  :-o while Germany only gets 5.  The odds for either one are bad.  Together it was unbelievable.  Odds evened out after the first round, but it didn’t matter by that point.  Germany was screwed.

• Nice one, magoo, thanks

• I dont remember specific situations, but I played P40 for first time yesterday and all of my attacks with China (both equal and 99% win chance) went wrong.
    I remember attacking with FTR, ART and around 8 INF against some 4 Japanese INF and not scoring a single hit (Japs scoring a full hit (!))- I lost that battle saving only the fighter and killing only a single INF. I found myself in a Hitlerrant.  :|

• This one isn’t a battle but rather an entire round and I was the one to take advantage of it. In the end my opponent said he’d concede the game (waiting to see if a compromise will continue the game or not)

So it’s G1 and I went with a Barbarossa. Hit Paris plus all the Russian border terr on the ground and went after sz110, sz111, sz91, and sz106. Ended up losing 6 inf & 1 sub (24ipc) for the entire round. In return I killed 13inf, 2art, aa, 2arm, ftr, trn, 2dds, 4cas, & 2bbs (185ipc). Hard to beat a +161 IPC swing in battles alone on G1.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33576.msg1282778#msg1282778

• Wow, he gave up after round 1? That kind of sucks. I wouldn’t want to play with someone like that. The game is still very much winnable for the allies at that point. Even if you did get rather lucky, it’s not that unlikely that you win all of those battles.

• Yeah, I’m with pancake on this one  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m