Ambilzi & Grasshopper's 1940 Global Map (Video Added)

• yes you paint in black? i have some of the 1st axis allies white and revised gray but not enouche and hbc is sold out i think i will not place in usa or put stiker or yg make other map whit factory printed in the map  :-) the other map you whant to do is foa aa game or other  do you know other place to by aa part  thank

• Hey YG, is styrene a good material to put away somewhere? Meaning I can’t leave it out really so is it good to roll up and put it somewhere?

• Sponsor

@Frederick:

Hey YG, is styrene a good material to put away somewhere? Meaning I can’t leave it out really so is it good to roll up and put it somewhere?

It’s the best to print on IMO, and when you’re done… you can make a big roll with it, but I would just slide it up right behind the couch or a large book shelf.

• @Young:

@Frederick:

Hey YG, is styrene a good material to put away somewhere? Meaning I can’t leave it out really so is it good to roll up and put it somewhere?

It’s the best to print on IMO, and when you’re done… you can make a big roll with it, but I would just slide it up right behind the couch or a large book shelf.

Thanks. I’m not getting the map yet, but I’m hoping to get it in the future. It’s a really nice map. :-D

• '19 '15 '12

I just read this thread after watching your youtube videos young grasshopper. I am going to try and get a vanilla print of the map on styrene. Thanks for the file.

So you’re working on a new map? Any details on that?

• Sponsor

@Yelrae:

I just read this thread after watching your youtube videos young grasshopper. I am going to try and get a vanilla print of the map on styrene. Thanks for the file.

So you’re working on a new map? Any details on that?

Be sure to use a print shop that does all their printing in house, get them to explain all your options and prices for each option, and your concerns should be keeping it flat, and being able to wipe the surface clean.

Not sure what I’m doing just yet… got some ideas rolling around and I want to be sure before I spend a lot of time on something.

Cheers.

• i will play tonight my 1st game whit my new map on styrene wowwo whit gray facility for minor and i take city of game risk for major in german and a paint black for the other
    i which to win long time t win:)

• Sponsor

@louprouge:

i will play tonight my 1st game whit my new map on styrene wowwo whit gray facility for minor and i take city of game risk for major in german and a paint black for the other
    i which to win long time t win:)

How strong is the styrene you got, will it lay flat on it’s own? How are the colours that got printed, are they bright and vibrant?

• is perfect flat no curve 10perfect just litle too bright i need to lowering my light thank again for the file i am very happy and the game after 9 run turn god for me

• :-( i lost after 14 run whit rules mistake

• An excellent map. My complements.  :-D

• Sponsor

@Charles:

An excellent map. My complements.  :-D

Thanks, Ambilzi deserves a lot of credit as well although he hasn’t been around these forums for a couple of years now.

• Congratulations on the amazing job. Just got the file printed and it looks amazing. Thank so much for all your efforts.

My question would be, what if I wanted to make it a bit more wide. Lenght is perfect, I just think that a bigger map will make it easy to place all the units in smaller territories. In your experience with printing, is that recommendable?

• Sponsor

@tchenao:

Congratulations on the amazing job. Just got the file printed and it looks amazing. Thank so much for all your efforts.

My question would be, what if I wanted to make it a bit more wide. Lenght is perfect, I just think that a bigger map will make it easy to place all the units in smaller territories. In your experience with printing, is that recommendable?

I think the file would have to be modified which gets tricky because all the color profiles could get reset. You would have to find a printer guy who is well experienced with print files and ask him to stretch it. The last time a print guy modified the file on his computer, all the colors went wash and I had to get my money back.

• Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

• I just ordered my map from a local socal print shop. They are printing it on PVC so its very solid. They showed me a few samples of different signs and labels that had been printed on PVC and they look pretty good. The price was a little higher than most @ $190.  Should have it in about 5-7 days.  I’ll post some pics when it gets here.  Still considering actually build a full fledged gaming table.  For now, it’ll just sit on top of my folding table.

Thanks for the map image Ambilzi & Grasshopper.

• Thank You m8 for this beautiful map. Nice work. If you want to visit the Netherlands / Germany, your welcome !!!
    sincerely NAM1971

• @XxNeilxX:

Hey Guys,

If you’re looking for a good place to get these maps printed, I would suggest BannerBuzz.ca.
    I got one of IL’s maps done by them on a 3’ x 6’ vinyl sheet for $52.49 all in.
    Quality was good and I got the map in less than a week (Shipped to Canada). From what I can tell the banners are made in India.
    From their website it looks like they serve the U.S, Canada, UK, & Australia.

anyone else go this route with decent results?

• '18 '17 '16

I just downloaded the one I wanted and took it down to a local print shop on a memory stick (plus you can check the quality before you fork over your money). I had this one printed on paper and then laminated. If I had to do it again I would get it done on vinyl instead because the laminate provides glare that blinds you when the curtains are open on the windows. I got Imperial Leader’s 1914 map printed on vinyl at the same print shop as well. It was actually a bit cheaper to go the vinyl route. Both maps were ready the next day.
    Once you start using one of these maps you’ll never want to go back to using the boards with all of the creases in them. Ambilzi & Young Grasshopper did a wicked job recreating Global 40 and putting player aides on the sides of the map.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

After our first game of AA Global a week ago, I decided I want to have a slightly bigger map consisting of one piece and no folds. Hence, I found this thread and the great scan of the original boards.

But I did notice the scans are from a well used copy of the game as the file shows scratches and stains and some borders seem to miss align due to stitching the different scans together to one large map.

I’ve started to go over the full map in detail and restore those ‘battle scars’ which is very time consuming but rewarding. I do however wonder if the original files are still around and could be shared. This will speed up my process of cleaning the map and the quality might be better than starting from the jpeg. As jpeg is a lossy format unfortunately so some details are gone and I’m facing some so called jpeg artifacts during my restoration work.

And off course I’m more than happy to share the results with the community, but with my current post count I’m not able to post some wip pictures for your reference.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m