WWII Global 2nd Edition error in map version 3.7 (China and Convoy Raiding)

• China should not be subject to convoy raiding.
    (Rulebook Pacific 1940 2nd Ed. p.10)

I would have posted it to the bug tracker at Sourceforge but it looks like I cannot do that, either logged in or logged out.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Two problems with this.

#1.  It’s not noted on page 10, it’s noted on page #20.

#2. These are not the most current convoy disruption rules, as used by most players, and as outlined by Larry Harris.

No exception is made by Larry in the latest version of convoy disruption.

Specifically

Below are the convoy disruption rules as written by Larry for Alpha 3+, that are widely used and accepted by tripleA users.

No mention of China is made.  Which means China, by these rules, is subject to convoy raiding.

If you read the rulebook, the entire convoy raiding system is different.  (1IPC for each surface ship, 2 IPC for each sub).

Convoy Disruptions

Convoy Disruptions are conducted during phase 6: Collect Income of the turn-player’s turn.

Three conditions that must exist for this kind of attack to occur:
    1. Sea zone must have “Convoy Symbol” image.
    2. Sea zone must be adjacent to one or more of your controlled islands or territories.
    3. At least one warship belonging to a power with which you are at war must be in the sea zone. Note: Air units on an aircraft carrier can conduct convoy disruptions, but the carrier itself does not roll any dice.

Each carrier based aircraft, including jets (see the optional rule Research & Development) rolls 2 dice. Submarine including Super submarines (again, the optional rule) rolls 2 dice.
    All surface warships, except an aircraft carrier, rolls 1 die.
    All rolls of 3 or less are counted. This total is the number of IPCs the turn player will lose due to convoy disruption(s).

Some examples:
    Sub rolls 2 dice. The numbers rolled on each die are 3 and 1.

The 3 and 1 are counted because they are both dice rolls of 3-or-less.

The 3 and 1 are added together for a total of 4 points of damage.

Second Example
    Sub rolls 2 dice. The numbers rolled are 6 and 1.

The 6 is higher than 3-or-less so it is not counted. Only the 1 (being 3-or-less) can be counted.

Only 1 point of damage.

Another example:
    A sub rolls 2-threes. That’s 6 hits.
    A subs rolls 2- twos. That’s 4 hits
    A sub rolls 1-four and 1-six. Both die are higher than 3, they are therefore not counted. There are no hits.

Note: A disrupted convoy can’t lose more IPCs than the total IPC value of controlled territories or islands adjacent to the sea zone, and each territory may not lose more than its IPC value to more than one disrupted convoy.

As the player collects his income (Phase 6: Collect Income) the total amount of convoy disruption is subtracted from his normal income.

• @Gargantua:

Two problems with this.

#1.  It’s not noted on page 10, it’s noted on page #20.

#2. These are not the most current convoy disruption rules, as used by most players, and as outlined by Larry Harris.

No exception is made by Larry in the latest version of convoy disruption.

It is on page 10, China rules, second clause, last phrase:

@rulebook:

Unlike the other powers in the game, China is not an
    industrialized nation and has a rural economy and
    decentralized government. As a result, China does not have
    a capital like other powers do. If all Chinese territories are
    captured by Japan, China retains its unspent IPCs in hope
    of liberation and does not give them to Japan. In addition,
    China may spend IPCs only to purchase infantry units
    (with one exception, see below) and does not use industrial
    complexes. New Chinese units can be mobilized on any
    Chinese territory that is controlled by China, including
    those captured in the current turn. If a Japanese industrial
    complex is built on a Chinese territory and that territory is
    later recaptured by the Chinese or liberated by another Allied
    power, the industrial complex is removed from the game.
    China is not subject to convoy disruptions (see “Conduct
    Convoy Disruptions,” page 22).

@Gargantua:

Specifically

Below are the convoy disruption rules as written by Larry for Alpha 3+, that are widely used and accepted by tripleA users.

No mention of China is made.  Which means China, by these rules, is subject to convoy raiding.

If you read the rulebook, the entire convoy raiding system is different.  (1IPC for each surface ship, 2 IPC for each sub).

Even in 1st edition China was not subject to convoy disruption, either (there it is on page 20, pacific rulebook).
    So it was not in Alpha+3, either, as this rule was never changed by Alpha+3 ruleset.

The most current rules of course are second edition rules + FAQ. They superseded Alpha+3.

Anyway TripleA players who want to play Alpha+3 can choose to do so when selecting the game.

AFAIK TripleA Global 2nd Edition version 3.7 represents the most current Convoy Raiding rules (as of 2nd Ed.),
    only China needs to be excluded.

• '16

I have Pacific 1940 2nd ed. game that I bought in May '13 or thereabouts. Convoy rules are on pp. 22-23. They read like the Europe/L.Harris rules that Gargantua has cited: units roll dice, 2 for a/c and subs, and 1 for others. Rolls of “3” or less are tallied, etc. Exactly like my Europe '40 2nd ed. rulebook in game I purchased the same day.

The Pac. '40 2nd ed. rulebook in A&A.org / Resources section is like the one that came with my game.

I did look at Avalon Hill site for Pac. '40 2nd ed. rulebook and it reads the way that Gargantua is citing for Pacific rules, units do an amount of convoy ipc damage without rolling dice. Looked again at cover of that book, however, and it does not indicate “2nd Edition”. Seems like a bad link at AH site. Rulebook link on Pacific '40 2nd ed. page opens 1st ed. book?

Also confirmed that my Pacific rulebook on pg. 10 says that China is not subject to convoy disruption, as P@nther previously noted.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m