• Customizer

TY for the pics Jabo. That is pretty sweet how they incorporated the name into the sculpt.

• I bought 6 of these and got no tracking info… arrg

• I ordered multiple sets the very first day these became available and still no tracking info here either.  Hopefully Monday…. :-(

• Customizer

Cool pics Jabo. Man, HBG has outdone themselves AGAIN! I thought the “H” on the base of the infantry units was cool but now the logo and ship name on the bottom of the ships? That is just way cool. Do the other ships have this as well (Fuso Battleship, Ryujo Light Carrier) ?

IL, Pacific War. Don’t feel bad, no tracking info for me either. I figured it might take a few days. Remember the pics when they were shipped? A big ol’ bag just full of thousands of our pieces all jumbled together. Imagine what a task it must be for Coach and Variable to go through all those pieces sorting out each type and then counting them out into sets. Then they have to do it all 3 more times for each color. Very tedious. Kind of fun, but tedious.

• @knp7765:

Cool pics Jabo. Man, HBG has outdone themselves AGAIN! I thought the “H” on the base of the infantry units was cool but now the logo and ship name on the bottom of the ships? That is just way cool. Do the other ships have this as well (Fuso Battleship, Ryujo Light Carrier) ?

photo.JPG
    photo2.JPG

• more pics please?  of all the units

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Picture of the Japanese Sets

HBGJapanSuppSetBrown.png
    HBGJapanSuppSetRed.png

More colors

HBGJapanSetRose.png
    HBGJapanSuppSetYellow.png

• @Imperious:

more pics please?  of all the units

Close ups of Paratroopers and Transport plane and bomber

photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 4.JPG

• Carriers and battleship along with tank destroyer

photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG

• Truck and mech along with Armored Car and SP gun

photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG

• Fighter and Tac Bomber

photo 2 (2).JPG

• Can’t wait to get mine. Those piece are awesome.

• Gents,

Received mine yesterday and already started painting them.  BB Fuso is almost 1/4800 scale and quite small compared to the FMG and AA Battleships, th.  Coach and variable any particular reason why is Battleship Fuso so tiny?  Hopefully your future BBs are big like the AA Kongo’s or AA Bismarck’s which are closer to 1/3000 scale. The Fuso is smaller than your early war German Schelswig-Holstein Class BB, It is very close to 1/4800 scale warships.  Otherwise an awesome set.  For future note the USN Oklahoma, New Mexico and Pennsylvania classes where smaller than any WWII class of IJN Battleships. Fuso, Ise and Mutsu BBs where close or slightly bigger than the USN New York class BBs.
    The new Kates ride well on all IJN Carriers.  The  high detail on the Fuso, Kaga are excellent.  APC and SPGs are good in size and the paratroopers are about the same size and HBG marines.  Heavy bombers are sturdy and none of the aircraft wings are fragile.  Coach, thnak you for the extras units.
    Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next two Japanese sets.

WARRIOR888 :-D :-D :-D

• Customizer

Guys,

@Jabo:

Here is the Kaga carrier.� HBG has put the ship class name on the bottom of the units� :-D

––It looks as though I won’t have to put “Type/Class” lables on the bottoms of all of my units,…at least on the ones from Historical Board Gaming. A classy yet logical move from them. The “Coach” always makes logical choices for the units he produces,….and they’re well-detailed and of the correct size and color.

“Tall Paul”

Fuso is a Early war Battleship and is the same length as Nevada and Holstein. The next set will have the Nagato and will be the same size as regular Battleships. We felt all nations need a smaller BB to denote Early war Battleships, then regular Battleships, and Heavy such as the Yamato in the next set.

• Customizer

Warrior888,
    You can’t go so strictly by actual scale with these pieces. That kind of exactness has to go to more involved games like A&A Miniatures War At Sea. These pieces are meant for the A&A Board games and it is a representative issue. Basically, you need a ship that represents an early war battleship for each nation. Early war battleships were generally smaller, had less powerful guns and thinner armor than battleships created later. Therefore, the actual piece needs to be smaller than the later, heavier battleships and all of the nations’ pieces need to be about the same size (e.g. USS Nevada, Schleswig-Holstein, IJN Fuso) even though you are correct that in real life, the Fuso was over 100 ft. longer than the Schleswig-Holstein and about 80 ft. longer than the USS Nevada. This way anyone can look at the board and immediately recognize “Ah, there is an early war battleship”.

WOTC/Avalon Hill did the same thing with the OOB units. All OOB battleships are 60 mm long. The US battleship, USS Iowa, is 887 ft. long. The Russian battleship, the Gangut, is 594 ft. 6 in. long. That’s a difference of 292.5 ft.! However, on the game board, they are both simply battleships with the same attack and defense factors, same movement and cost, same bombardment and 2 hit capabilities. This is what Coach is doing with his pieces. Each type of unit for each nation will be the same physical size so anyone will know that it is that type of unit.
    It may be a little off-putting to those who really get into the realism and exactness but it may also be a little easier to follow for the newbies to the game. Realism aside, you got to admit if you have 2 ship sculpts, one early war and one late war but they are the same size, it could get a little confusing, particularly if you give different values to early and late war ships.

• Customizer

I like detail but I also like playability. I’m considering using my early war battleships as “rebuilt/retro-fitted” BB s. Maybe a one hit BB or something. I like the uniform scales. That’s one thing about OOB cruisers I really don’t like is they are hard to distinguish from DDs sometimes.

All in all I really like stuff HBG puts out.

• @toblerone77:

That’s one thing about OOB cruisers I really don’t like is they are hard to distinguish from DDs sometimes.

I usually check the stern. Most (if not all) of the destroyers have transom (i.e. square-cut) sterns, while the cruisers tend to have pointed sterns.  I sometimes wonder if that’s the reason why the Hipper-class cruiser sculpt went from having a transom stern in its first incarnation to a pointed stern thereafter.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m