• @wove100:

Anybody want to spend the time to use this and the previous post (on Austria-Hungary’s first turn) to map out known territories? I think he gives a pretty good glimpse of which southern Russian territories are connected to each other, but I don’t have the patience.

@wove100:

Anybody want to spend the time to use this and the previous post (on Austria-Hungary’s first turn) to map out known territories? I think he gives a pretty good glimpse of which southern Russian territories are connected to each other, but I don’t have the patience.

For Austria-Hungary:

Tyrol and Trieste both border Venice, Tyrol links up with Austria, Trieste links up with Budapest and borders Albania . Budapest borders Serbia then links up with Galacia and they share a border with Romania (at least from the talk of Larry’s Romanian forces meeting up with the Ukranian ones in Galacia, which would require a shared border, but the map is blurry on this part), with Galacia meeting up with Austria, Budapest, Romania, Poland, insert German Territory here, and Ukraine.

Glorious Imperial Russia:

Sevastapol is the only border with the Ottomans, with Tatarstan behind that (Tatarstan also links up with Moscow) Khazakstan having a border with Tatarstan. To the west Sevastapol links up with Ukraine which links up with Romania, what I assume will be Brest-Lovick, Moscow, Galacia and Budapest. Probable Brest links up with Galacia, Poland, Moscow and Baltic states. Baltic States border Moscow, Poland, St. Petersburg and SHOULD link up with a German territory if historially accurate but the map is blurry here. St. Petersburg links up with Moscow and Finland (which links up with the rest of the great lands of the north). Poland will likely be faced with Galacia and two other German Provinces from the looks of it.

That should be correct.

• Russian Revoultion-KISS but with the Fall of the Tsar  the Republic continued the war.Then with the October Revolution
    Revolution Lenin sued for peace (he sent a Note :-D ).This may just be due to the time frame of the game.

The last Russian Offensive was launched by the Republic in the Summer of 1917.

• Customizer

The Germans had to attack Russia again in early 1918 after negotiations broke down. It was only after Brest-Litovsk (Mar 3 1918) that fighting stopped, and even then the Russia civil war continued, and the small states in between fought for their independence.

The name Belarus is a little late, should have been Bellorussia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

• I smell a Russian Revolution house rule. Maybe give Republican Russia one turn (or more, but given the timescale of the game one turn is probably about right) to turn the situation around. If the conditions triggering the Russian Revolution are still extant by the end of that time, then the October Revolution occurs and takes Russia out of the game.

This would also allow for the Kerensky Offensive and Allied Intervention (occupation of Murmansk and American Expeditionary Force Siberia (which of course isn’t possible on this map, but will be when house rule variants moving it to the global 1940 map are in place)).

• Thanks DarthShizNit! You are indeed the ShizNit!

• Customizer

Sevastopol borders Turkey?

That means a single giant tt from Crimea to Armenia, unless we’re talking about adjacent by sea.

• @Flashman:

That means a single giant tt from Crimea to Armenia, unless we’re talking about adjacent by sea.

Go look at the Map and then Larry’s reasoning for leaving troops in Sevastopol, it is indeed one giant territory.

• @DarthShizNit:

@Flashman:

Go look at the Map and then Larry’s reasoning for leaving troops in Sevastopol, it is indeed one giant territory.

If that is the case, I feel that Sevastopol isn’t really an appropriate name for the territory.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Of particular interest to me:

We all know about the Russian revolution. It forced Russia out of the war. This potential revolution can also occur in our game. Already under great social and economic stress as the war begins, the conditions that can permit a Bolshevik revolution are always present. A Russian revolution, which I should point out is an optional rule, can occur at the end of any Russian turn starting in round four if Russia is losing the war. Russia will be considered to be losing the war if all of the following conditions are met:
    Three or more territories adjacent to Moscow are controlled by the Central Powers.
    At least one other original Russian territory is controlled by the Central Powers or contested.
    Moscow is controlled by Russia or contested.
    If the revolution occurs, the Imperial government is replaced with a republic. As a consequence of this, an armistice will be signed with the Central Powers, effectively removing Russia from the war, and the game. All Russian units outside of original Russian territories or Russian-controlled territories are immediately removed from the board, and Russia will no longer have a turn. I suggest that if this optional rule is used, one Allied player should control both Russia and the United States.

This is the dumbest revoultion rule proposal I have ever seen.

If it’s “at the end” of Russias, turn, she’s always going to have the ablitiy to take atleast 1 of 4 territories back.  3 of them are right next to her capital.

That said, “Russia losing” was not even the case historically.  They just had problems at home.

I say you put together a threshold bar, that slides towards revolution…

• @Gargantua:

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

Of particular interest to me:

We all know about the Russian revolution. It forced Russia out of the war. This potential revolution can also occur in our game. Already under great social and economic stress as the war begins, the conditions that can permit a Bolshevik revolution are always present. A Russian revolution, which I should point out is an optional rule, can occur at the end of any Russian turn starting in round four if Russia is losing the war. Russia will be considered to be losing the war if all of the following conditions are met:
    Three or more territories adjacent to Moscow are controlled by the Central Powers.
    At least one other original Russian territory is controlled by the Central Powers or contested.
    Moscow is controlled by Russia or contested.
    If the revolution occurs, the Imperial government is replaced with a republic. As a consequence of this, an armistice will be signed with the Central Powers, effectively removing Russia from the war, and the game. All Russian units outside of original Russian territories or Russian-controlled territories are immediately removed from the board, and Russia will no longer have a turn. I suggest that if this optional rule is used, one Allied player should control both Russia and the United States.

This is the dumbest revoultion rule proposal I have ever seen.

If it’s “at the end” of Russias, turn, she’s always going to have the ablitiy to take atleast 1 of 4 territories back.  3 of them are right next to her capital.

That said, “Russia losing” was not even the case historically.  They just had problems at home.

I say you put together a threshold bar, that slides towards revolution…

Maybe we should make some house rules for this?

• Honestly the odds of the Revolution ending up the way I envisioned it were not very good, so I was prepared to try to house rule it for awhile now.

• Customizer

So Larry has solved the problem of the anomalous Turksih factories - nobody gets factories!

Well that at least takes care of the US industrial complex in Syria I was worrying about. Also means that nobody can build units in captured tt - good.

But having to place all non-naval units in the capital - isn’t that a step backwards? Infantry were recruited from all over the Empires, artillery and planes were built in all industrialized areas.

What happens with Anzacs, Canadians, Indians, Spahis, Askaris?

Who is going to bother with Africa if you can’t recruit Askaris - won’t the war here just peter out? In which case why bother having Africa on the map?

If Russia has to place every unit in Moscow, and has no rail movement, how can it get new units into place in time - unless Russia is so telescoped that Moscow borders tts such as Belarus and Ukraine?

Looks like I was wrong about “ships in port” rules, but there are naval bases - presumably these deal with movement and placement of ships only; possibly also repair of damaged BBs.

• But having to place all non-naval units in the capital - isn’t that a step backwards? Infantry were recruited from all over the Empires, artillery and planes were built in all industrialized areas.

Thats how he solved factories, place in capital so the Turks can build tanks and planes.

What happens with Anzacs, Canadians, Indians, Spahis, Askaris?

not in the game, so nothing to worry about.

• Customizer

That Sevastopol tt is bonkers.

It means that units in the far east of Turkey can reach Romania faster than those in Ankara!

It also means the UK could reinforce the Russia front through Turkey - I hope this is not permitted.

On the other hand, if Turkey drives towards India there’d be nothing Britain could do to reinforce Delhi/Bombay.

How can this be WWI without Anzacs and Canadians?

Not liking this build all units in the capital thing at all. Even Diplomacy allows you to build at different centres.

• Customizer

This is a quick mock up (see attached image) of how eastern Europe appears to be drawn, gimped from my map.

It’s all rather reminiscent of the Diplomacy board, in fact Austria looks absolutely identical.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1164572/diplomacy?size=original

I’m almost inclined to get out my old Gibson’s Diplomacy and use that board with HaT units. Save me 100 quid.

Anyone else feel swizzed by this?

Axis&Allies1914LarryMap.PNG

• If that is how it is, it seems nuts to me that the territory that has the Crimea would also be the one that borders the Ottoman Empire.

• That map needs more flags and icons. Much more.

• As far as I am concerned, there should be a die roll involved with the Russian revolution.

If the following conditions are met at the end of a Russian turn, roll a die and add 2 to the result.

• The Central powers control at least three Russian territories, one of which must border Moscow

• Russian forces control Moscow or it is contested

• All of the Central Powers control their capitals

If the score rolled is LOWER than the number of the current game turn then the revolutionaries have seized power.
    Russia may no longer make offensive movements, or produce units.
    Russian territories may be attacked by the Allied forces or the Central Powers, but react as if they were a neutral territory (place units equal to the IPC value of the territory)

• Customizer

OK, here’s a version based on Diplomacy. So far, the map in essence IS Diplomacy, with minor tweaks.

I’ve yet to deal with the Atlantic SZs, but this is substantially what I expect given the obviously heavy Diplomacy influence, and of course minus southern Africa.

Bulgaria might be in fact a German satrapy, can’t quite tell.

The Turkish tank trek to Tartarstan is definitely on!

Axis&Allies1914LarryHarrisDiplomacyFreak.PNG

• @Flashman:

OK, here’s a version based on Diplomacy. So far, the map in essence IS Diplomacy, with minor tweaks.

I’ve yet to deal with the Atlantic SZs, but this is substantially what I expect given the obviously heavy Diplomacy influence, and of course minus southern Africa.

Bulgaria might be in fact a German satrapy, can’t quite tell.

The Turkish tank trek to Tartarstan is definitely on!

That looks pretty darn good! I’m sure he meant Sevastopol adjacency by sea. If he left it empty, and Ottomans had 1 transport, then his statement makes sense.
    Even if that IS the case, it makes sense to me to have a frontier there that matters, so Russia wants to defend it a lot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m