Looking forward to this new addition

• Customizer

Second that. I’d like to see Africa turned into blow up boxes in just about all my A&A games. How often does the Africa play mean anything vs. how much space it takes up that could equal larger regions in Europe.

When I read one round of dice rolling in combat I was thinking more of the D-Day type fight where a territory might end conflicted rather than controlled. We killed 6 of you you killed 4 of me but we each have 12 units remaining in the zone sort of thing.

• The D-Day comparison is spot on.

Larry said the map would be similar in size and scope as the current europe 40 map is.
    If thats the case, unless africa and north america are shrunken away, then europe is going to look much like it does now. Perhaps a “few” more territories.
    But realistically we need many, many, many territories in europe.

The game Diplomacy would be a good measuring stick to go by.

• perhaps the reason why the map includes basically the same area as global, it might be that another companion game representing the pacific is on the way. Then you could have a scramble for colonies style of game for an earlier point in time.

The map is the same size as Global from what i’ve read.

• WWI in the pacific would be as dull as dishwater.

• I think he means a period before WW1, with the great powers scrambling for colonies. The Great War could have easily started in 1905 or in the 1800’s

• @oztea:

It disappointed me that the map will go all the way down to South Africa. Seems like a LOT of wasted space down there. We could do without the few skirmishes down there in exchange for a western and eastern front with more than 3 territories each.

My guess is that the land masses will be proportioned differently than in Europe 1940.  A&A maps are traditionally oversized in the areas where the most activity took place in WWII and undersized elsewhere.  A good example is the northern part of Africa, which is very large on the E40 map due to the North Africa campaigns involving the Afrika Corps.  Sub-Saharan Africa is, by contrast, quite small on the E40 map.  So I expect that Larry’s WWI map will allocate lots of space to the Western and Eastern Fronts, and that Africa will have a small size as compensation (while nevertheless being included to reflect the colonial actions there, such as von Lettow-Vorbeck’s East African Campaign).

• I love it I love it I love it. Everytime someone asks what the next game should be I’ve always answered Axis and Allies 1914. And I know IL likes it, He removed his tag asking for WW1 game.

I think the next question is for Coach or well the fine people at HBG will you be making pieces for this one too?

• He removed his tag asking for WW1 game.

I did not. it is still at HGD. Never had it here because Larry does not visit here. IN my own way i prodded Larry ( not unlike what Peullo does)

• @Yavid:

Everytime someone asks what the next game should be I’ve always answered Axis and Allies 1914.

For my own unofficial use, I’ve code-named this game “Archdukes and Armistices”, based on how WWI started and ended. Â

• @Imperious:

He removed his tag asking for WW1 game.

I did not. it is still at HGD. Never had it here because Larry does not visit here. IN my own way i prodded Larry ( not unlike what Peullo does)

after I wrote that I went to larry’s site and saw you still had it up there. I thought you had it here too, my bad.

• This game has the potential to be very exciting! I really hope that LH and Kreig did their homework and give us a game that will be fun for years, not just weeks and months. Because we don’t have a standard mold for WWI A&A games, I am open to all kinds of new possibilities with this game, and I expect that LH was as well. Personally I cannot wait!

• Customizer

It looks like being a pretty basic game. I just hope the main components don’t preclude an official expansion with the techs and rules that some of us will consider essential for that authentic WWI experience.

Techs in particular are vital to the period; essentially the war was all about producing new ways of killing the enemy to break the stalemate; not so for WWII where there was no stalemate.

Tanks & Fighter Planes in 1914 are just wrong.

• @Flashman:

It looks like being a pretty basic game. I just hope the main components don’t preclude an official expansion with the techs and rules that some of us will consider essential for that authentic WWI experience.

Yeah, expansion packs of sorts are things that I’ve always liked, but was hoping for one. HBG has some pretty good stuff, and they have lots of demand. Hasbro could get in on that. Not that I wish HBG to suffer.

• I agree that tanks and planes in 1914 are crazy. I really wished that Larry would have made a calvary unit to start the game out, that would have been very cool to see. I think as long as tanks are kept a rich man’s unit (i.e. only countries that have an economic advantage or are handily winning the war) this game will go far. Planes should be cheap but very ineffective unless used with infantry.

• @hkytown1:

Larry wrote that this would be a game of yards, not armies sweeping across continents.  When I first read that, Bulge was the first thing that popped into my mind, maybe a hex style of play???

If that is the case. then how can you have an AA1914 map that includes Africa?

The areas will be the size of Texas, so you’ll have 3 areas between Switzerland and Brussels.

How is that “a game of yards?”

• Well, Africa was the site of several campaigns throughout the war, and those territories were important in the overall “clash of empires”-vibe that really defined the beginning of WWI.  From what I have read, only the Western Front bogged down into extensive trench warfare, and that area is where it shall be a matter of yards.  The Eastern Front and Africa will be more mobile, I would imagine.  Otherwise, as you stated, Shakespeare, that really would be utterly impractical unless Larry stays true to his tendency for really wildly skewed map projections.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m