• I think there was a topic over a year ago, but thought I’d put another one.

Anyone reading the books or watching the series?

I’m nearly on book 4, less than 200 pages to go (out of about 1200).  The series I’m about midway in the first season.

I like how the show is pretty close to the books, although they seem to make slight changes based on time and continuity’s sake.  Nearly the closest adaptation I’ve seen of anything.

• @Jermofoot:

I think there was a topic over a year ago, but thought I’d put another one.

Anyone reading the books or watching the series?

I’m nearly on book 4, less than 200 pages to go (out of about 1200).  The series I’m about midway in the first season.

I like how the show is pretty close to the books, although they seem to make slight changes based on time and continuity’s sake.  Nearly the closest adaptation I’ve seen of anything.

I finished the last published book, A Dance With Dragons, about two months ago and I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit. I’ve seen already both seasons, on the 2nd one you seen more adaptations from the books but they keep the major plot elements (and characters) almost the same.

I don’t really know what character I like the most in the whole of the series! :)

• I have multiple characters I like (and many have changed over time):

Eddard Stark
    Jon Snow
    Robb Stark
    Arya Stark
    Theon Greyjoy
    Tyrion Lannister
    Jaime Lannister
    Bronn
    The Hound
    Davos

Just too many to list

• Wondering has anyone picked up on the books or show?  Wouldn’t mind to discuss it.

I have read all 5 books long ago (probably within 2 months of posting this topic originally), and as of today am current on the show.  I don’t watch much TV but it seems one of the top programs out there right now.

• My wife and I really love the series. I have not read any of the books, but am  sure I would enjoy them too.
    It is funny, but I probably detest more characters than I like.
    That witch and stupid King who believes in her and that Crow couple annoy me. I could go on.

I do like Jamie(now he is deformed/maimed)and his dwarf brother and ruthless father. Arya Stark must be the most sympathetic character. Never liked Sean Bean. (My wife did.)
    We have seen 3 series.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Jermofoot:

Wondering has anyone picked up on the books or show?  Wouldn’t mind to discuss it.

I have read all 5 books long ago (probably within 2 months of posting this topic originally), and as of today am current on the show.   I don’t watch much TV but it seems one of the top programs out there right now.

I watch the show as well. I was disappointed it is not coming on tonight, but it is on next week.

• @Jermofoot:

Wondering has anyone picked up on the books or show?  Wouldn’t mind to discuss it.

I have read all 5 books long ago (probably within 2 months of posting this topic originally), and as of today am current on the show.   I don’t watch much TV but it seems one of the top programs out there right now.

I have now read all of the books and watched only the first season of the show.

So from here on out my posts will have SPOILERS. I will not bother to indicate this. You have been warned.

So the big one… who is Jon Snow’s mother? Is Ned really Jon Snow’s father?

• @wittmann:

My wife and I really love the series. I have not read any of the books, but am  sure I would enjoy them too.
    It is funny, but I probably detest more characters than I like.
    That witch and stupid King who believes in her and that Crow couple annoy me. I could go on.

I do like Jamie(now he is deformed/maimed)and his dwarf brother and ruthless father. Arya Stark must be the most sympathetic character. Never liked Sean Bean. (My wife did.)
    We have seen 3 series.

You are in for a treat this season, and i’d recommend reading the books.  There’s not a ton missing, but enough little things to entertain.  They’ve not changed much, but it is becoming more and more each season going on.

Who do you mean by Crow couple?

@John:

@Jermofoot:

Wondering has anyone picked up on the books or show?  Wouldn’t mind to discuss it.

I have read all 5 books long ago (probably within 2 months of posting this topic originally), and as of today am current on the show.  I don’t watch much TV but it seems one of the top programs out there right now.

I watch the show as well. I was disappointed it is not coming on tonight, but it is on next week.

Same here, but it’ll be a wonderful episode.  In fact the next 3 should have some very big events, can’t wait to see.  Obviously the Viper vs. The Mountain is coming…

@frimmel:

@Jermofoot:

I have now read all of the books and watched only the first season of the show.

So from here on out my posts will have SPOILERS. I will not bother to indicate this. You have been warned.

So the big one… who is Jon Snow’s mother? Is Ned really Jon Snow’s father?

The theory, which I’ve discussed with friends quite a bit, is almost too perfect to not have GRRM work it in (he apparently has taken fan suggestions as canon for the books - even using online forums for editing/accuracy).

It is suggested that Jon Snow’s mother is Lyanna Stark and his father is Rhaegar Targaryen.  The events of the Tower after Robert Baratheon’s rebellion had completed, where Ned and Howland Reed were the only 2 living people that knew what happened (now only Howland, obviously).  The thought is that the rumors or Rhaegar kidnapping and raping her were Robert’s thoughts as he wanted Lyanna.  It’s stated she died in a bed of blood and made Ned promise her something.  It makes sense that she died during childbirth, that Jon Snow is her son, and that Ned made his promise to her and claimed him as his own as he knew Robert would probably kill him, being a Targaryen (and from his lover, no less).  This matches what Daenarys believes, and even Robert doesn’t know who the mother is regarding what Ned tells everyone (it’s depicted in the show and the books).  It’s also odd that 3 of the 7 Kingsguard are at the tower that is absent anyone from the Targaryen lineage - king or princes.

This theory plays into a lot of other things.  Particularly what most think will come regarding heroes needed to combat the White Walkers - 3 heroes.  This 3 theme is shown quite a bit - 3 headed dragon on Targaryen sigil, 3 Targaryens conquered Westeros on 3 dragons, Dany has 3 dragons, etc.  So people think that she, Jon Snow, and a third person (some suggest Tyrion, with a theory regarding his true parents as well) will use her dragons to fight the Others in the climax.  This could also be construed as the coming of Azor Ahai as Melisandre speaks of (but mistakes or fakes that Stannis is the incarnation).

There are other theories as well, but I think that’s one of the biggest.  We’ve also discussed the identity of Azor Ahai’s avatar and BloodRaven/3 eyed Crow.  Here is a good link lining up many of the theories out there, but you can find them being discussed all over the internet:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109496-a-compendium-of-theories-v2/

Have you read any of the Dunk and Egg novellas/graphic novels?  There is some great backstory and overall entertaining reads.  They gave a shoutout to Duncan (the Tall) this season as Joffrey was looking over the Kingsguard book with Jamie.  Pretty cool, I thought.

• Jermofoot: sorry, did not mean to be cryptic.
    I meant Jon Snow and his girlfriend. I can’t stand her whiny Northern accent.
    I am not too bothered about the Winter reference and those Northern Wildings and the White Walkers either.
    I like the good  life of the Southern Royals (in Summertime!).

• I’m on board with the Lyanna/Rhaegar as Jon’s parents as well. I actually went looking for the wiki/forums you linked to see if I was some sort of crazy for thinking that.

I’d thought from the first book that Ned was not Jon’s father and the Ashara Dayne as Jon’s mother by Ned was just too obviously a red herring.

I’ve only read the novels proper and have not read any of the Dunk and Egg or even the available preview chapters for “Winds of Winter.” I was pushing hard to stay ahead of spoilers via the HBO shows since November (books 2 through 4.5) and I’m on a bit of a break. There is also a lot to digest. I’m glad I got to read them all in fairly rapid succession.

Stuff like always saying Jon looks like Arya who looks like Lyanna would sort of get lost if I’d been following on the as they are published path.

My big but really kind of little question is Littlefinger and Sansa related. Is Littlefinger really “creeping” on Sansa with the kissing or is that some sort of magic or prophecy? Like a milder form of the Crone/Cersei foretelling.

• @wittmann:

Jermofoot: sorry, did not mean to be cryptic.
    I meant Jon Snow and his girlfriend. I can’t stand her whiny Northern accent.
    I am not too bothered about the Winter reference and those Northern Wildings and the White Walkers either.
    I like the good  life of the Southern Royals (in Summertime!).

I figured that’s who you meant, but wasn’t sure exactly.  I think next season you’ll enjoy quite a bit then as we should be seeing much of the Southron Dorne state and more of the Martells.

@frimmel:

I’m on board with the Lyanna/Rhaegar as Jon’s parents as well. I actually went looking for the wiki/forums you linked to see if I was some sort of crazy for thinking that.

I’d thought from the first book that Ned was not Jon’s father and the Ashara Dayne as Jon’s mother by Ned was just too obviously a red herring.

I’ve only read the novels proper and have not read any of the Dunk and Egg or even the available preview chapters for “Winds of Winter.” I was pushing hard to stay ahead of spoilers via the HBO shows since November (books 2 through 4.5) and I’m on a bit of a break. There is also a lot to digest. I’m glad I got to read them all in fairly rapid succession.

Stuff like always saying Jon looks like Arya who looks like Lyanna would sort of get lost if I’d been following on the as they are published path.

My big but really kind of little question is Littlefinger and Sansa related. Is Littlefinger really “creeping” on Sansa with the kissing or is that some sort of magic or prophecy? Like a milder form of the Crone/Cersei foretelling.

Much of the little details I don’t quite remember.  As you know, there’s a ton going on - characters, history, locations, food descriptions, etc.  There’s actually a theory that Ashara Dayne is Jojen and Meera Reed’s mother, but less evidence seems to point to that.

I did remember that Jon and Arya looked alike with reference to Lyanna as well, and that stood out to me.  It’s obviously used as evidence of the theory of Jon’s parents.

I think LittleFinger has an ego to feed that really tells about his character.  He works undercover/behind the scenes as he wasn’t the strongest, bravest, or even smartest guy out there.  He’s got a chip on his shoulder regarding rejection, especially from Catelyn.  So controlling things is some restitution regarding his previous experience, and using Sansa as a tool for his aims also satisfies his grudge with the Tullys/Starks.  I think he may actually care about her, but would not bother to betray her for his own gains.  Perhaps we’ll see some redemption from his character.  Of course she’s also beautiful so I don’t doubt he wouldn’t mind having a romp, but think this could inhibit reaching his main goals.

And to mention Cersei, another theory (theories) we’ve discussed - Ser Robert Strong’s identity, there whereabouts of The Hound, and, if what we think may have happened to them, a potential showdown.

• Customizer

The books really go downhill after a Storm of Swords.

They just have the characters meandering about aimlessly, with the author getting cold feet and refusing to kill off any more major characters.

The last two books should be ignored by the TV producers (or used for lighting fires) in favour of a completely new parallel storyline.

In the latest series but the Moondoor scene should have been the last of the entire season (like in the book); they placed it far too early. Also, the Moondoor should have been vertical, not set in the floor.

As far as the finale is concerned, I back Dany, Arya and Bran as the Dragonriders. Otherwise the last as remote pilot to a beast piloted by an inebriated Tyrion.

Oh, and the actor playing Littlefinger should be drowned. His scenes should all be reshot using Tim Roth.

http://whatculture.com/tv/game-of-thrones-8-characters-who-didnt-meet-our-expectations.php/8

http://www.dailyedge.ie/aiden-gillen-littlefinger-accent-1438486-Apr2014/

• Wow. Totally disagree, Flashman.

I think the chief difficulty of books 4 and 4.5 is that they aren’t book 3. ASOS from the Red Wedding to the end is like a constant stream of “Holy Crap” moments. It’s tough to keep up with that. But I rather liked Jon and Tyrion’s story and couldn’t help but laugh at Dany making a mess of things in Mereen and the whole scene with Drogon in the fighting pit was kind of spectacular.

Totally disagree about Arya and Bran as dragonriders. Bran has more or less gone down the memory hole in my opinion. As to Arya maybe total disagreement is a strong phrasing but I don’t see any thing to indicate that’s in the realm of possibility (so far.) Maybe she ends up as one of Dany’s cup girls but I’m not seeing dragonrider in her future.

I can’t wait to see if Margaery totally set-up Cersei with asking Pycelle for moon tea. Total amateur move unless she wanted Cersei to think (whether she was or not) she was banging around on Tommen. I don’t think for a second she couldn’t get it on the quiet from the serving girls.

So yep, Jermo count me in on the “Grand Tyrell Conspiracy” more or less.

• Customizer

The author has already said it’ll be tough to keep up with the TV show; at his rate of writing the series will be ahead of the books in a couple of years.  All the more reason to ditch Feast for Crows in favour of an entirely new script.
    Otherwise the ratings will fall drastically when people realise it’s just become a soap.

Any chance of the Drogo-Dany monster child still being alive?

Mormont told her it was dead and buried, but it was never actually seen.

• I don’t think so on Dany’s half-dragon spawn. Mormont gave me the impression that it was best it died and was a bit relieved he didn’t have to kill it himself. Where is it if it lived? Who took it away? Why would Mormont participate in that?

My impression is the current season is just going to finish all of ASOS. So they’ll have taken two seasons with that book. If they then take books 4 and 4.5 into three seasons he should at least have book 5 out by time to turn that into a season. Making it four seasons might even be possible without dragging it down. (I don’t watch the show so I can’t really speak to the pacing and what they’re pulling from where at the moment.)

But it does seem like they’re going to overtake the novels. I think a bigger concern would be that Martin’s not going to live long enough to finish the books.

• Customizer

He clearly finds them a “bitch” to write; perhaps he should hand over the task to someone else.

He’s created a vivid fantasy world, but seems unable to go anywhere in it now except concentric circles of the same thing.

And why don’t the horses wicker any more?

If the next 2 seasons are a straight working of the last 2 books, then how many memorable scenes will there be?

Cersei’s walk of shame, and, er, um.

• Please note, SPOILERS AHEAD.

The aforementioned scene when Drogon comes to the wedding festivities in the fighting pit. Weddings are never dull in A Song of Ice and Fire.

I thought Tyrion’s travels down the river through the ruined cities were neat.

The Night’s Watch trying to kill Jon Snow seems pretty much a “Holy Crap” moment.

Reek growing his balls back and escaping Winterfell.

Pretty much anything with a Bolton is full on creepy.

Brienne back from getting hung and getting hung in the first place.

As I said before the chief difficulty is after the last quarter of ASOS everything is going to seem tame. Perhaps you just have no patience.

• Customizer

I think a problem is that the author had too many major changes and deaths in a chronological period of 3 or 4 years. He maybe thought it was too much to be believable.

The book after ASOS could have been set 10 years further on when things had been allowed to settle down; but then is Stannis going to camp at the wall for 10 years?

TV wise, the division of the 2 books into 2 sets of parallel stories will not do, but the problem is that blending them into one narrative gives too many storylines with only a few scenes for each of them. Now, if they extended each season to 20 episodes…

• @Flashman:

The books really go downhill after a Storm of Swords.

They just have the characters meandering about aimlessly, with the author getting cold feet and refusing to kill off any more major characters.

The last two books should be ignored by the TV producers (or used for lighting fires) in favour of a completely new parallel storyline.

While book 4 was a let down (and shorter) compared to books 2 & 3, in hindsight, it wasn’t uneventful.  It basically was setting the stage for the climax as the series resolves itself.  And I thought book 5 was an upswing and on par with 1-3.

I wouldn’t mind seeing divergent paths between written and filmed material, and am used to it in other series, particularly manga (Gantz and Full Metal Alchemist come to mind).  However, the word is that the show writers and directors know the details of how it ends.  I think the fans aren’t that faroff either, but GRRM has said the ending will be “bittersweet” - there’s still a lot to come, I think.  Just laying the groundwork for it now:  Lannisters in decline, wildling integration and new northern threat, Dany & her dragons, the other Targaryen in Westeros with an army, Littlefinger seemingly raising the Vale under him (with an unblemished army to boot), Dorne secret allegiance with Targaryens, Ironborn still loose, the Starks Return?..…that’s just off the top of my head.

@frimmel:

I can’t wait to see if Margaery totally set-up Cersei with asking Pycelle for moon tea. Total amateur move unless she wanted Cersei to think (whether she was or not) she was banging around on Tommen. I don’t think for a second she couldn’t get it on the quiet from the serving girls.

So yep, Jermo count me in on the “Grand Tyrell Conspiracy” more or less.

I don’t doubt that possibility - but I would think the Tyrell matriarch is behind it all. Mace is the face of the family and really just a run-of-the-mill warrior, portrayed in the show and books as such.

@frimmel:

My impression is the current season is just going to finish all of ASOS. So they’ll have taken two seasons with that book. If they then take books 4 and 4.5 into three seasons he should at least have book 5 out by time to turn that into a season. Making it four seasons might even be possible without dragging it down. (I don’t watch the show so I can’t really speak to the pacing and what they’re pulling from where at the moment.)

But it does seem like they’re going to overtake the novels. I think a bigger concern would be that Martin’s not going to live long enough to finish the books.

Book 5 “should be” out next summer.  They spent 2 seasons on Book 3, which has been claimed not to occur again, but I don’t see how they are going to follow the books translated directly as seasons for the next two.  Since they are concurrent, it needs to be melded together and shown in that manner, and I think that will help keep attention better.  It may very amount to 3 seasons, and I’ve heard that they supposedly estimated 7-8 seasons in all.  But we’ll see once it happens.  The books will be Ghostwritten, in the case of the Wheel of Time series, and he’s prepared for that as well.

@Flashman:

e’s created a vivid fantasy world, but seems unable to go anywhere in it now except concentric circles of the same thing.

Where?  I don’t know what you mean so you’ll need to line out where you think this.

Cersei’s walk of shame, and, er, um.

I will trudge through 2 boring, uneventful, dull seasons just to see this.

@Flashman:

The book after ASOS could have been set 10 years further on when things had been allowed to settle down; but then is Stannis going to camp at the wall for 10 years?

Why?  I don’t see how that addresses anything and skips over a ton of stuff (which I listed above).  You may as well say “it was all a dream” and end it.

• They can’t just straight make book 4 the next season. More or less no Jon Snow, Tyrion, and Dany. I simply don’t see that happening. They more or less have to be doing some of books 4 and 4.5 in the same season and there is way too much for just a single season. Unless they just flat out drop some stuff which can’t help but force a pretty extensive divergence from the books.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m