• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Swedo:

Those are amazing! I like that you also put up compareable pictures of the real deal so we can see how good replicas you have done! Now my yamatos look like crap compared… � :x

Thanks Swedo. Yeah, I like to make them look as true-to-life as possible, while retaining something identifiable for recognition purposes. The Yamato was the one I had to do three versions of because I didn’t like the way the paint was looking on the first two. It turned out pretty well, but I am not sure if it will be the way I do them in the future. I still like to experiment. Subtle highlights are the trick; it’s not what you’ve got, but how you use it. Take a close look and you might be able to replicate the way they are painted.

@Swedo:

btw… that carrier would fit my army…� � :roll: GIVE IT TO ME!� � :evil:

You mean the carrier would fit in your navy I think… Might not be as effective on land. Glad you like it. And hey, if I end up not needing it or doing some extras I might be able to mail it to you or something.

• yeah… of course navy…  :roll:
    (i will put tracks on it and sent it into the jungle as a mobile HQ/airfield which have 6 attack/defence and can take 10 hits MWAHAHAHHA  :evil:)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Mobile airfield… that’s a good idea…

Then you can LAND in territories you just conquered! :D

• Customizer

Swedo what do you do to prep your sculpts? All I hear is pime, prime, and prime.

Do you get any chipping? What do you use to seal?

• @toblerone77:

Swedo what do you do to prep your sculpts? All I hear is pime, prime, and prime.

Hello, my english is rather poor so i dont fully understand what you are asking for :/ But as crazy as it seems, i dont prep my pieces at all. I just take them out of the bag and paint them 8-)
    I dont wash or prime… maybe im crazy, the future will tell!

No my pieces dont chip whatever that mean, nothing happens to them more then that they get paint on them :-D after i painted i just put a water-based matt varnish on them to protect the paint from greasy mcdonalds fingers :roll:

I have used Humbrol acrylic paints for 95% of the painting and other acryligs for the other 4% and humbrol enamel for about 1% of the figures. I hope this helps! if not, just ask!

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Love it!

• Customizer

Thanks a lot Swedo! I appreciate the heads-up.

• @toblerone77:

My suggestions, for what it’s worth;

1. Wash them to get rid of any mould release agent still on them (or any greases/oils at all from handling)
      (This will allow the primer and paint to STICK properly, otherwise you may (or may not) find some peeling off)

2. Prime them - Black or white doesn’t matter, just use primer for a great painting surface.

3. Paint them - Acrylics or Enamels, the choice is yours.  I use cheap craft acrylics because they’re cheap, come in a multitude of colours, are easy to find, easy to use and dry quickly.

4. Seal them - Use a clear coat of some sort to seal them.  For A&A pieces I tend to use a “Satin” finish acrylic spray clear coat.  Do at least 2 light coats (heavy coats tend to make unsightly blobs).  This will add durability and protect your hard work from chipping or scratching off during use.

• Very nice job Swedo!  I like how clean and crisp the lines look on them all.

• OK, so i am going to start painting my Japanese army soon and I am confused about one thing. I see almost all of the painters on this website painting their Japanese fighters (Zeros) white. I was under the impression that the Zero was green. Are the white ones some sort of variants of the green ones or were they just a different paint scheme. Were they deployed at different time periods?? Yeah I really need clarification on this. :D

Thanks

• Customizer

The white, black and red paint scheme was used on many Japanese aircraft mostly IJN aircraft.

• ok so i am basically asking what colors i should paint my Zeros. Should i paint both colors?

• For aircraft, Japanese army is green, white is navy. Paint both probably 1/3 and 2/3 ratios for all air units

• so 1/3 green 2/3 white gotcha thx for the help :D

• yes by type

• I will show a step by step guide to how i paint my Japanese infantry.

1. Bring it out!
    2. Paint the body. (and in this case also the gun and bag)
    3. Paint the flesh, arms and face.
    4. Paint the black details. Shoes and rifle details.
    5. Paint the backpack and including details.
    6. Paint the bayonet
    7. Paint the collars.
    8. Varnish (not shown, i use a water based matt varnish)

This fellow took me about 20 minutes to paint including taking the pictures. The time is less per unit if you paint more at a time.

Enjoy!

• The uniform and rifle i have chosen to copy.

• Hey guys, about to paint my soviet tanks for spring 1942, just wondering if a snow patter/camo would be appropriate?

• if i painted pieces I would paint the Russians in the Snow/Camo look

• Can you post the russion pieies?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m