• @toblerone77:

Swedo what do you do to prep your sculpts? All I hear is pime, prime, and prime.

Do you get any chipping? What do you use to seal?

My suggestions, for what it’s worth;

1. Wash them to get rid of any mould release agent still on them (or any greases/oils at all from handling)
      (This will allow the primer and paint to STICK properly, otherwise you may (or may not) find some peeling off)

2. Prime them - Black or white doesn’t matter, just use primer for a great painting surface.

3. Paint them - Acrylics or Enamels, the choice is yours.  I use cheap craft acrylics because they’re cheap, come in a multitude of colours, are easy to find, easy to use and dry quickly.

4. Seal them - Use a clear coat of some sort to seal them.  For A&A pieces I tend to use a “Satin” finish acrylic spray clear coat.  Do at least 2 light coats (heavy coats tend to make unsightly blobs).  This will add durability and protect your hard work from chipping or scratching off during use.

• Very nice job Swedo!  I like how clean and crisp the lines look on them all.

• OK, so i am going to start painting my Japanese army soon and I am confused about one thing. I see almost all of the painters on this website painting their Japanese fighters (Zeros) white. I was under the impression that the Zero was green. Are the white ones some sort of variants of the green ones or were they just a different paint scheme. Were they deployed at different time periods?? Yeah I really need clarification on this. :D

Thanks

• Customizer

The white, black and red paint scheme was used on many Japanese aircraft mostly IJN aircraft.

• ok so i am basically asking what colors i should paint my Zeros. Should i paint both colors?

• For aircraft, Japanese army is green, white is navy. Paint both probably 1/3 and 2/3 ratios for all air units

• so 1/3 green 2/3 white gotcha thx for the help :D

• yes by type

• I will show a step by step guide to how i paint my Japanese infantry.

1. Bring it out!
    2. Paint the body. (and in this case also the gun and bag)
    3. Paint the flesh, arms and face.
    4. Paint the black details. Shoes and rifle details.
    5. Paint the backpack and including details.
    6. Paint the bayonet
    7. Paint the collars.
    8. Varnish (not shown, i use a water based matt varnish)

This fellow took me about 20 minutes to paint including taking the pictures. The time is less per unit if you paint more at a time.

Enjoy!

• The uniform and rifle i have chosen to copy.

• Hey guys, about to paint my soviet tanks for spring 1942, just wondering if a snow patter/camo would be appropriate?

• if i painted pieces I would paint the Russians in the Snow/Camo look

• Can you post the russion pieies?

• Yes i can.

Russian Battleships Gangut Class

Russian Fighters and Bombers

Russian Tanks

The poor lonley sub

• How i paint my Russian Infantry.

1. Bring it out!
    2. Paint the body. (i use a green/brown color)
    3. Paint the gun brown.
    4. Paint the black details. Boots and rifle details.
    5. Paint the flesh, hands and face.
    6. Paint the bag.
    7. Paint the little bags on the belt.
    8. Varnish (not shown, i use a water based matt varnish)

Inspiration:

Gun: PPSh-41

• Thanks when I get 1942 next friday I plane to paint the peses leke you did.

• @MacMan131:

Thanks when I get 1942 next friday I plane to paint the peses leke you did.

Oh really? I hope you will show them on the forum when you have painted some!

• @Swedo:

@MacMan131:

Thanks when I get 1942 next friday I plane to paint the peses leke you did.

Oh really? I hope you will show them on the forum when you have painted some!

I will. I only have a few paints so what I can paint I will paint. I will get some more paints the week after.

• One thing what would you sagest to use for paints and paintbrushes. I have some GW paints and paintbrushes but they are so expensive. I have a Canadian Tire and Michaels in Halifax. Also do you have any good painting tips for me?

• @MacMan131:

One thing what would you sagest to use for paints and paintbrushes. I have some GW paints and paintbrushes but they are so expensive. I have a Canadian Tire and Michaels in Halifax. Also do you have any good painting tips for me?

Well i only use 2 kinds of brushes (they get worn out pretty fast so buy a few)

Here are my brushes, 1 tiny and 1 flat also very tiny.

My budget paints. I bought them for the flesh color, but the black, white, brown and ocra is also good to use.

Humbrols from some modelplanes. Very good for plastic! (i have more colors of these, but the one in the picture is the ones i used most)

I use a shotglass with water to clean my brush and to delute the paints. Some russian infantries in the making in the background.
    (yes the desk is dusty :()

I have no good tips for you, find your own way. Dont do too much details, it takes forever. :S

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m