HBG's Global War 1939 FAQ

• Naval Base (Optional) Rule!?

If you play with that rule and there is a sea battle before the amphibious assault, does the naval base base fire before the sea battle, or can the base only fire at the transports after sea battle.

E.g.
    1.  there is one destroyer (defender) in sea zone, and the attacker moves into that sea zone with two destroyer, one cruiser, one battleship and 3 loaded transports. Can the defenders naval base fire on the complete attackers navy before the sea battle takes place or only on the transports because the cruiser and battleship cannot make a shore bombardement after sea battle?

2. If the defender has the option to scramble 2 figters but does not (Uses the figters to defend land territory), can the naval base fire on the complete attackers navy or only on the cruiser and batteship, which want to make a shore bombardement and the transports?

Can you use the naval base first strike, if the japanese make a sneak attack?

Is there -1 for the naval base first strike if germans use the “Eastern front” special rule? (Leningrad naval base)

Air base (Optional) rule ?!

Can you launche figters to defend against an strategic bombing raid from an adjacent land territory which has an airbase (scramble rule) if yes, only 3 per adjacent air base? Or can you only launch figters by an strategic bombing raid, if the airbase is in the same territory as the factory?

• '14

@Star:

Naval Base (Optional) Rule!?

If you play with that rule and there is a sea battle before the amphibious assault, does the naval base base fire before the sea battle, or can the base only fire at the transports after sea battle.  The First strike is taken after the sea battle. Any ship can be taken as a casualty except for submarines.

E.g.
    1.  there is one destroyer (defender) in sea zone, and the attacker moves into that sea zone with two destroyer, one cruiser, one battleship and 3 loaded transports. Can the defenders naval base fire on the complete attackers navy before the sea battle takes place or only on the transports because the cruiser and battleship cannot make a shore bombardement after sea battle?

2. If the defender has the option to scramble 2 figters but does not (Uses the figters to defend land territory), can the naval base fire on the complete attackers navy or only on the cruiser and batteship, which want to make a shore bombardement and the transports?

Can you use the naval base first strike, if the japanese make a sneak attack? The Japanese sneak attack trumps the NB first strike ability. This however is the case if Japan is not already at war with the defending country.  Japans sneak attack only works on countries they are declaring war on.

Is there -1 for the naval base first strike if germans use the “Eastern front” special rule? (Leningrad naval base) No. the -1 only applies to normal combat.

Air base (Optional) rule ?!

Can you launche figters to defend against an strategic bombing raid from an adjacent land territory which has an airbase (scramble rule) if yes, only 3 per adjacent air base? Or can you only launch figters by an strategic bombing raid, if the airbase is in the same territory as the factory?You can launch all fighters from the territory being SBR’d and 3 per adjacent territories.

Hope this has helped. Hope you like the optional rules also!

• Hi,

Is it possible to invade “Istanbul” from Bulgaria or Greece without transports to get control of Bosporus?

• '14

Yes. Istanbul is the zone on both sides of the water way.

• Edit:

Sorry.  Just realized I put a big long rambling post in the FAQ, so I moved it to a new topic.

• "5. For Landing at the end of the turn, must you have an air base since the beginning of the round, or can you land on a newly built airbase (built in the same turn the airplane takes off)? Because if you built a new carrier, you can land on them

Newly built or even captured airbases can be landed on.

I know this restricts the role of all aircraft a little but that is why the Airbase cost is so much lower with these optional rules. One cool perk to these rules are if you capture an airbase your planes can land in that zone immediatly!"

This seems to imply that all aircraft can only take off from and/or land in territories that contain air bases (or sea zones with carriers).  Is this correct?  And the airbase cost on the setup charts I’ve seen (6.1) still show that they cost 15 IPCs.  Is there another set of rules and setup charts that is more recent than that?

My second question concerns Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria.  The way the rule is written, it seems to imply that they each get a set number of IPCs each turn to buy units for themselves (Hungary – 3, Romania – 6, and Bulgaria – 4).  And if Germany activates them, then Germany gets the printed IPC value of these territories to add to its own income.  Does that mean both happen simultaneously?  Or is it a one-or-the-other situation?  In other words, once Romania is activated, is it actually worth a total of 10 IPCs for the Axis (6 to be spent in Romania plus 4 for Germany).

• '14

@almashir:

"5. For Landing at the end of the turn, must you have an air base since the beginning of the round, or can you land on a newly built airbase (built in the same turn the airplane takes off)? Because if you built a new carrier, you can land on them

Newly built or even captured airbases can be landed on.

I know this restricts the role of all aircraft a little but that is why the Airbase cost is so much lower with these optional rules. One cool perk to these rules are if you capture an airbase your planes can land in that zone immediatly!"

This seems to imply that all aircraft can only take off from and/or land in territories that contain air bases (or sea zones with carriers).  Is this correct?  And the airbase cost on the setup charts I’ve seen (6.1) still show that they cost 15 IPCs.  Is there another set of rules and setup charts that is more recent than that? If you read in the optional rules the air base unit xcost is 3 IPC’s per unit. Yes planes can only land in zones that contain an airbase using these optional rules.

My second question concerns Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria.  The way the rule is written, it seems to imply that they each get a set number of IPCs each turn to buy units for themselves (Hungary – 3, Romania – 6, and Bulgaria – 4).  And if Germany activates them, then Germany gets the printed IPC value of these territories to add to its own income.  Does that mean both happen simultaneously?  Or is it a one-or-the-other situation?  In other words, once Romania is activated, is it actually worth a total of 10 IPCs for the Axis (6 to be spent in Romania plus 4 for Germany). When each Minor axis country is activated then they start collecting a set income and the Germans receive the IPC value of the country. This happens together on the same turn.

• Have these questions been OFFICIALLY addressed:

1. When EXACTLY does a player activate a pro axis/allied neutral to his side? During CM, NCM, or both?

Are air units allowed to land in neutrals that are pro your side? (sorry if you already went through this).
    2a) Can you fly in air units to defend a pro to your side neutral before you activate it
    2b) Can you fly in air units to reinforce a territory the same turn you activated it?
    2c) If you NCM an inf w/bomber transport to activate a pro neutral, can the bomber land there too (same question as above really)?

1. Are players aren’t allowed to move the newly activated units the turn they are activated. If so, does one just swap them out and the activated units are stuck there until the next player turn ?

Thanks

• '13

Does attacking a true neutral affect the rest?

• Is this the right topic to ask questions about Global War 1939 v6.1?  If not where then should I ask.  If it is then how often are the questions OFFICIALLY answered in this topic? (I post some on the 17 Dec but have had no answers.)

• Customizer

Raider,

––Don’t be alarmed,…the guys from HBG have been ‘snowed’ with the startup of their 1st boxed game, ‘Amerika’ on Kick-Start. I believe they’re taking a day or two off with their families for the holidays right now.
    ––My GW39 map, units, and a bunch of other “stuff” should be at my house when I get home today. I’ve been keeping up with all of the rules & stuff for quite some time and felt it was now sufficiently developed to “jump in with both feet”, especially as the map has been revised.
    ----IMHO, Global Warfare-1939 is proving to be the BEST A&A game yet! And next year’s 1934/36/39 version should be the ULTIMATE in A&A wargaming.

Happy Holidays,
    “Tall Paul”

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Tall:

––IMHO, Global Warfare-1939 is proving to be the BEST A&A game yet! And next year’s 1934/36/39 version should be the ULTIMATE in A&A wargaming.

Happy Holidays,
    “Tall Paul”

It does sound very interesting!

• Any chance that I could get some official answers to my earlier questions? – We would like to resume our game this weekend.  Thanks.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

While not official thought I’d offer my opinion. With maybe helping out with a new thought process for your group…or confirm what your group was already thinking along.

@Raider:

Have these questions been OFFICIALLY addressed:

1. When EXACTLY does a player activate a pro axis/allied neutral to his side? During CM, NCM, or both?

Are air units allowed to land in neutrals that are pro your side? (sorry if you already went through this).

This game originally was just a modified Global 1940 from my understanding and in that version you walked into the Pro-(your side) neutral during the NCM. In the rule book 6.1 Global 39’ it also mentions on page 12 that’s when you can walk through friendly neutrals. Or at least with the 40’ Global game that is how I read it. Maybe “assuming” to much, but with the knowledge this is a tweaked Global 1940 I would fathom that’s why it was missed being addressed.

@Raider:

2a) Can you fly in air units to defend a pro to your side neutral before you activate it

I would say no since you can’t go into it except during NCM. That’s only my opinion and still pretty new to Global 39’, but it comes back to not able to in Global 1940.

@Raider:

2b) Can you fly in air units to reinforce a territory the same turn you activated it?

Page 12 under section 6 says “Land units may move into friendly territories including the ones captured this turn, as long as they do not move through hostile territories.” With that knowledge I would say yes.

@Raider:

2c) If you NCM an inf w/bomber transport to activate a pro neutral, can the bomber land there too (same question as above really)?

My first instinct was to say no since not your territory at the start but….

Page 12 section 6 says, “Friendly territories include pro-neutrals of your side. Air units may fly over hostile territories, but must land in either a friendly territory that was friendly at the beginning of your turn, or on a friendly carrier by the end of the Place New Units phase.”
    Notice the first sentence so I would be leaning towards yes.

@Raider:

1. Are players aren’t allowed to move the newly activated units the turn they are activated. If so, does one just swap them out and the activated units are stuck there until the next player turn ?

Once again I am going back to Global 1940 for support, since as mentioned this is just a major tweak of that game, that those units do have to stay there the turn the country was activated. But can be reinforced with units if able to not travel through hostile territory.

Which if said country is surrounded by the “bad guys” not sure just flying a parachute division/regiment would be the best option.

Of course by no way official answers, this is how I read the rules with knowing it was originally advertised as a tweak of Global 1940.

Apologize if you didn’t want anybody answering except the makers but I find trying to answer other peoples questions is sometimes the best way to learn a game for myself.

• If germany wants to activate the pro axis balkan countries, does germany collect ipcs from them as well as they start collecting their fix ipc incomes?  Basically, germany activates romania, can germany be collecting the 4 ipcs from it and romania is still making its 6 ipcs per turn?  On top of that, can germany produce in those countries even though they are building their own units and such?  Like, can romania drop an infantry down and germany drop 3 infantry down(if they have a german controlled IC there) at the placement phase, all in romania?  DO the factories stay with the countries or do they turn german?

• '14

@ghr2:

If germany wants to activate the pro axis balkan countries, does germany collect ipcs from them as well as they start collecting their fix ipc incomes?  Basically, germany activates romania, can germany be collecting the 4 ipcs from it and romania is still making its 6 ipcs per turn?  On top of that, can germany produce in those countries even though they are building their own units and such?  Like, can romania drop an infantry down and germany drop 3 infantry down(if they have a german controlled IC there) at the placement phase, all in romania?  DO the factories stay with the countries or do they turn german?

I just posted the links to the 6.1 rules. These questions can be answered in the new rules. If you still have questions after reading the 6.1 rules post here and I will get back to you asap.

• Does germany still collect from romania even though romania is collecting its own income?

• On a different note, when will you have more of the expansion set:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Global-War-Set-Global-War-Expansion_p_726.html

In stock?

• Page 25 in 6.1 rules under Germany.

• Page 25 is not clear on that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m