Axis & Allies 1942 2nd Edition Announced!

• Founder TripleA Admin

My contact at Wizards told me to expect my review copy late May or early June.

1941 is real.

@cminke:

@empireman:

@Rebel:

How do we know that A&A 1941 wasn’t just a mixup, and they meant for this to be released?

Hmmmmm….good thought.

GUYS look at the difference in description!
    form 16 new sculpts to 5?
    date change?
    2 different release dates
    all evidence points to 2 diffrent games…
    dose 1 exist and one not…i dk…but they re 2 entirely diffrent games

• @Noll:

41: cheap and fast game (30$)
    42: “middle tier” game (60$)
    50: advanced a&a (90$)
    G40: niche aaa big game (180$)

agreed, but the prices are alot different

• TripleA '12

This is great news, I will eagerly await your findings!  :-)

• This is awesome news.  Is there any news on a remake of the Anniversary Edition?  I would have preferred that, but a larger board and some upgrades to the flawed 1942 edition is great news.

• @djensen:

ooooh, nice.  I’d love to be getting my hands on review copies of games!!  haha!  I’m sure you’ll happily let us know how it looks for us though.  ;)

• …… ,oo, …… ,oo, ……
    … ,888’‘888, …… ,888’‘888,……
    … ,888’……‘88, … ,88’…‘888, ……
    … ,88’……‘88, … ,88’…‘88, ……
    … ,88’……‘8, . ,8’…‘88, ……
    … 88’……‘8,.,8’…'88 ……
    … 88……‘W’…88 ……
    … 88……88 ……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,….,8’……
    …‘8,…,8’……
    …‘8,8’……
    …V……

I LOVE YOU DJENSEN

• @cminke:

…… ,oo, …… ,oo, ……
    … ,888’‘888, …… ,888’‘888,……
    … ,888’……‘88, … ,88’…‘888, ……
    … ,88’……‘88, … ,88’…‘88, ……
    … ,88’……‘8, . ,8’…‘88, ……
    … 88’……‘8,.,8’…'88 ……
    … 88……‘W’…88 ……
    … 88……88 ……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,……,8’……
    …‘8,….,8’……
    …‘8,…,8’……
    …‘8,8’……
    …V……

I LOVE YOU DJENSEN

WHAT THE!?

Also, best news EVER

• @charlieturtle:

This is awesome news.  Is there any news on a remake of the Anniversary Edition?  I would have preferred that, but a larger board and some upgrades to the flawed 1942 edition is great news.

AA50, not anytime soon. Just this year, we’ll have 1941, a brand new game, along with 1942 2nd ed. and reprints of Europe and Pacific 1940. The A&A player will have thinner wallets, and 4 games in a year is more than enough.

• Customizer

Yeah, you got that right. Also with all the neat new sets being put out by HBG in the next few months and FMG’s German set is coming out in May, with the Black German set a month after that, there is going to be a lot of gamers with really stretched budgets.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Sounds to me like they are re-releasing 1942, with rules that will be completely consistent with all the alpha changes to the global version.  With Appropriate AA Gun pieces.

Imagine if they even incorporated the convoy rules!

Atleast the games would work at precisely the same level, and get everyone playing the same thing.

• @Gargantua:

Sounds to me like they are re-releasing 1942, with rules that will be completely consistent with all the alpha changes to the global version.  With Appropriate AA Gun pieces.

Imagine if they even incorporated the convoy rules!

Atleast the games would work at precisely the same level, and get everyone playing the same thing.

Besides convoys there’s a few rules that I hope are not implemented on this version:

• Naval and Air Bases (Eastern US to Western Europe in 1 move is not a good thing)
    • Aircraft Carriers can benefit both sides, although at the beginning it benefits more Japan.
    • Minor and Major ICs (just be just ICs, otherwise Japan, UK and Soviet Union will have a boost in production capability)

• The game is based on AA42, not Global so none of that.

• Founder TripleA Admin

cminke, what the …?

• @Imperious:

The game is based on AA42, not Global so none of that.

AA42, 2nd Edition, IL. They might decide to add a few more changes other than changed AA Guns and the FAQ/Errata. Tac Bombers and Mech Infantry being a possible one, which also means changes to the cost of armor. It also doesn’t change much of the dynamic like Naval Bases would do or major/minor ICs. But who knows, they might decide to apply those rules anyways.

• If they say based on AA42 because AA42 copies dried up you can assume it has no new concepts, excepts clarifications of known rule issues.

The only changes are indicated by new map size and new sculpts. If they used all these ideas from Global 40, the PDF would indicate that it was a reprint of AA42 using BOTH ideas from Global 40 and AA42.

Of course this AA artillery thing could be new, but probably just colored AA guns for each nation and a new sculpt.

Introducing all those G40 ideas will probably mess up AA42 causing another overhaul of the setup, etc.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Even if they ONLY introduced the AA gun concept from Alpha Global, it would retain some intellectual consistency.

I just hope they don’t phase out the AA Gun entirely, and say, “Oh, now your artillery DOUBLE as AA Guns as well.”

• I think Spring 42 2nd Edition will be based on Global rather than Spring 42 for the sake of consistency - so far they have kept the same set of rules throughout the series (excluding D-Day, Bulge and Guadalcanal), updating it with each game, with some specific rules for each game.

Classic
    AAE/AAP
    Revised
    AA50
    AA42
    AAP/E/G40
    AA42 2nd Ed

AA41 probably doesn’t fit since most likely it will use a different game system (I’m imagining some more akin to BoB or Fortress America). Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to have 2 different sets, one for Global, another for Spring 42 2nd Ed.

• I think Spring 1942 2nd edition will be based on Spring 42 instead of Global for the sake of consistency, but perhaps with technology, and possibly some sort of very light national objectives/politics.

Consider the step from Revised to 50th to Spring 1942.  Simple map with tech, to bigger map with more complex tech and national objectives and tweaked basic rules, to simple map with tweaked basic rules.

So it’s not always that it gets more complex.

Re: 1941 having a different rule set -maybe they will eliminate artillery and cruisers, keep it very simple.

• I think Spring 1942 2nd edition will be based on Fortress America or Monopoly instead of Global for the sake of consistency…

Global 1940 on the other hand if it should get another reprint, most likely will be like AA42…

That is of course in a world of opposites…

• Customizer

There is just no way they can incorporate all the rules from Global 40 into 1942 2nd Edition. The AA Guns rules would probably work okay, but you know 42 is going to have a smaller map with less spaces than Global does. So Naval and Air bases just won’t work unless you eliminate the movement bonus and just keep naval bases for repairing capital ships and air bases for scramble abilities.
    I don’t think Major/Minor ICs will work with a smaller map either, not sure about this one.
    The Convoy Zones would cover much more area since there would be fewer spaces. It might be too easy for some nations to bankrupt others (Germany > England, USA > Japan).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m