• Hi

I ordered some pieces from HBG.
    I really like them, very fine and detailed, way better then OOB pieces.
    But they smell like sh*t, really. Anybody else noticed this?
    It is the US.set, I ordered Marines, Axis Minor Set to, no problem, no smell.
    But the US Set does smell. How are the pieces stored?
    Has anyone tried to wash them? This is not a joke, this is serious.
    If I had not known better, I would thought they maybe came straight from combat  :-D

Anyway, the pieces are GREAT Coach and I will surly order more pieces!
    Keep Up The Good Work !

• Customizer

Well, I just took a sniff and did notice a bit of an odd smell with the US pieces that wasn’t with the Axis Minors or Marines pieces.  I had to really put my nose up close and take a big whiff though.  I didn’t notice it until now and I don’t think it would even be noticeable during normal play.  You must have an extra-sensitive sense of smell.

• '10

@supermestizo:

Hi

I ordered some pieces from HBG.
    I really like them, very fine and detailed, way better then OOB pieces.
    But they smell like sh*t, really. Anybody else noticed this?
    It is the US.set, I ordered Marines, Axis Minor Set to, no problem, no smell.
    But the US Set does smell. How are the pieces stored?
    Has anyone tried to wash them? This is not a joke, this is serious.
    If I had not known better, I would thought they maybe came straight from combat  :-D

Anyway, the pieces are GREAT Coach and I will surly order more pieces!
    Keep Up The Good Work !

What room were you in when you opened them?

• Probably the bathroom?  :mrgreen:

• Hi

The reason I noticed is maybe because of those small plastic bags they was packed in.
    They where FULL PACKED of pieces/units.
    I noticed the smell when I opened them.
    Is this normal? I got plenty of mini soldiers 1/72 and never noticed this before.
    And this was ONLY the US.Set!
    I opened the units in my living room by the way.
    Anyway, as I said, I’m very happy with the units and will surly order some more.
    The units that are smelling I will wash and hopefully the smell will go away.

• @knp7765:

Well, I just took a sniff and did notice a bit of an odd smell with the US pieces that wasn’t with the Axis Minors or Marines pieces.  I had to really put my nose up close and take a big whiff though.

Hi

Are you seroius now?, or are you joking with me?

• Customizer

This post is absurd. These pieces are great and have no odd smell whatsoever.

• Customizer

Mine smelled too… they had the dampness of foxholes and the faint scent of gunpowder.

:-D

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

This post is absurd. These pieces are great and have no odd smell whatsoever.

Hi

Why is this absurd? I just wondered if others had notice this.
    I have not said anything negative about the pieces.
    Maybe it was just mine, moderator could just delete this thread if he want.
    Sorry if did step on anyones toe here.
    And HBG, I really like the pieces, and will surly order more from you guys!

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

This is actually not totally unfounded, although they don’t smell like feces. Some of mine initially had an odor as well. I don’t know what caused it but it does go away. Similar to a memory foam mattress, plastic does out-gas. Just leave them sitting out for a few days and it will go away. Put them in a sealed container and it keeps absorbing the gas/smell.

• Customizer

@supermestizo:

@knp7765:

Well, I just took a sniff and did notice a bit of an odd smell with the US pieces that wasn’t with the Axis Minors or Marines pieces.  I had to really put my nose up close and take a big whiff though.

Hi

Are you seroius now?, or are you joking with me?

Yes I am serious.  I did notice an odd odor but only with the US supplement pieces.  I wouldn’t say they smelled like sh*t, but it is an odd smell.

@Variable:

This is actually not totally unfounded, although they don’t smell like feces. Some of mine initially had an odor as well. I don’t know what caused it but it does go away. Similar to a memory foam mattress, plastic does out-gas. Just leave them sitting out for a few days and it will go away. Put them in a sealed container and it keeps absorbing the gas/smell.

I do keep mine in plastic containers.  Perhaps I should leave those open for a few days so the pieces can air out.  Honestly though, it doesn’t bother me all that much.  I didn’t even notice it until this post.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I did notice it before but I have a sensitive nose. Like I said, leave the box open for a couple days and it will be gone.

• @knp7765:

Well, I just took a sniff and did notice a bit of an odd smell with the US pieces that wasn’t with the Axis Minors or Marines pieces.  I had to really put my nose up close and take a big whiff though.  I didn’t notice it until now and I don’t think it would even be noticeable during normal play.  You must have an extra-sensitive sense of smell.

I thought it would have been the Marines,but yea it figures the Army as the culprit:)

• '10

@morrel:

@knp7765:

I thought it would have been the Marines,but yea it figures the Army as the culprit:)

Had to be the Army!

• Customizer

@Variable:

I did notice it before but I have a sensitive nose. Like I said, leave the box open for a couple days and it will be gone.

You were right.  I took the containers for both my US supplement sets and just left them open.  It only took one day and there is no smell at all to them now.  Plain and simple solution.

I wonder where that odd smell came from and why it didn’t affect the Marines or Axis Minors.

• '10

@knp7765:

@Variable:

You were right.  I took the containers for both my US supplement sets and just left them open.  It only took one day and there is no smell at all to them now.  Plain and simple solution.

I wonder where that odd smell came from and why it didn’t affect the Marines or Axis Minors.

That kind of stuff never sticks to the Marines!

• Customizer

Well, my HBG units DON’T smell at all. If they did it would probably only be the smell of QUALITY! As you can tell,…I’m very happy with my HBG units.

I’m just guessing, but if there was some lingering odor on some pieces that it would have been left-overs from the molding process, like a mold-release agent or something. Anyway, it’s an easy fix to simply air-dry them. Or if you like, take a toothbrush and lightly wash them in dishwashing detergent. IMHO this is an extremely small price to pay(if necessary) to have these finely detailed new units from HBG.

“Tall Paul”

• Mine were fine.  US marines (olive) and axis minors (dark grey).  I don’t like the artillery pieces or the armored car, but all the other pieces are excellent.

edit: the Mobile artillery are cool; it was the little field guns that I didn’t like but that’s just my opinion.

• '10

@Vance:

Mine were fine.  US marines (olive) and axis minors (dark grey).  I don’t like the artillery pieces or the armored car, but all the other pieces are excellent.

The mobile artillery pieces look fine. Also the ones in the U.S. set. I have been waiting YEARS to get some mobile artillery. Thanks to HBG I now have them.

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Got mine from HBG a few days ago and they don’t smell like anything but new. I especially like the amtracs. What would be really cool would be landing craft.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m