I think i have an idea of what we can use for Airbase peices.

• Ive been looking everywhere to try and find replacements for the cardboard pop-outs they gave us and i found 3 ICs and an AA Gun from my long lost original version. I know FMG is apparently making replacements but they’ve been working on the Italian pieces for over 2 years now? I’m not bashing them in any way, they work hard and have high quality pieces but i don’t want to wait a decade for pieces that i don’t even know what they look like.

I’m going to get more IC and AA Guns but there are 2 colors: white (original) and grey. Ive never personally seen the grey pieces so i don’t know what shade they exactly are and if they are the same exact mold as the very original IC & AA Guns. ( if someone knows that would be greatly appreciated. Are they the same grey as the chips? )

Ok. About the airbases. HBG has strictly neutral re-paints of some pieces. One of them is the British fighter ( same as displayed on the cut outs. they are ordered mixed with American fighters so I’d have to email him to let him know i would like British fighters only.) and they are only slightly larger than the cut-out so i think that is a good choice.

For naval bases on the other hand, i was thinking of a neutral transport painting but they are too big. Ive looked ALL over the web and cant seem to find any thing that can be used as a Naval base or be a better representation of an air base than those fighters.

I know Litko has plastic chips that represent them but i want actual peices.

if anyone knows of some site or anything i can use to represent Naval bases please let me know. Ive done lots of searching and came up with nothing.

• no one uses any pieces for naval bases? i know some of you make them yourselves but is there not anything i can buy?

• @Keodis:

no one uses any pieces for naval bases? i know some of you make them yourselves but is there not anything i can buy?

or

• @Keodis:

no one uses any pieces for naval bases? i know some of you make them yourselves but is there not anything i can buy?

We kinda like the cardboard air and naval base pieces, they’re clear and easy to notice and distinct from other kinds of units. (we do use IC units from older A&A’s though)

• Yeah i guess but i would like to have pieces anyways. Those anchors are pretty interesting. ( I’d rather have a base than an anchor though ). where did you find those anchors?

• What I like most about the cardboard cutouts is that they are flat.  So units can stack on top of them.  Look at Gibraltar, where are you going to place these things?

If only some genius in production had realized that nobody can pick them up without licking their finger first.  Guess this is what you get when your product is produced in Philippines.(I have no idea where its made)

• '10

I’m with JimmyHat and and special forces.

Unfortunately, the bigger map doesn’t allows mean bigger territories because there are more than in previous versions. So, the territories still have a tendency to get crowded. I too use old IC and aaguns, but I don’t think there’s enough room for much larger airbases and naval bases.

• @Keodis:

Yeah i guess but i would like to have pieces anyways.

One way you could use airplane and ship sculpts as airbase and naval base markers, while still distinguishing them easily from actual combat units, would be to mount them on top of small flight stands:

http://www.litko.net/products/1.375-inch-Hex-Acrylic-Flight-Stands%2C-25-ct.html

http://www.litko.net/products/1-inch-Hex-Acrylic-Flight-Stands-(Set-of-10).html

http://www.litko.net/products/0.75-inch-Flight-Pegs-(10-pack).html

• Customizer

@Keodis:

I’m going to get more IC and AA Guns but there are 2 colors: white (original) and grey. Ive never personally seen the grey pieces so i don’t know what shade they exactly are and if they are the same exact mold as the very original IC & AA Guns. ( if someone knows that would be greatly appreciated. Are they the same grey as the chips? )

Maybe this will give you a better idea.  On the left are the white AA guns and ICs from Classic.  Next are the light grey pieces.  Next to that are the cardboard counters in current games.  At the far right is a “city” piece from RISK which I use for Major ICs.  I use the light grey A&A ICs for Minors.

Commons 02.JPG

• The group I play with have taken one board setup and put stickers on the board for the air bases and naval base.  They are always part of the setup and cannot be moved.  If they are damaged, we put damaged makers on top of the base.  Pretty easy and cheap.  You can make them look like anything you want.

Doc

• Customizer

@docfav7:

The group I play with have taken one board setup and put stickers on the board for the air bases and naval base.  They are always part of the setup and cannot be moved.  If they are damaged, we put damaged makers on top of the base.  Pretty easy and cheap.  You can make them look like anything you want.

Doc

Yeah, we have the same kind of setup.  What I did was scanned the air and naval bases then printed them up on adhesive label sheets, cut them out and stuck them to the board.  That’s one reason I wasn’t crazy about the new Alpha+3 setup with the removal of the Gibraltar and Malta air bases.  I use the Alpha+3 setup but keep those bases.  Of course, we still have the little cardboard counters for any bases that may be purchased during the game.

• Sponsor

I have printed my icons straight onto my laminated poster game board (without the Med air bases). I don’t know why people don’t like what I did? bases are never removed from the board and if you buy one or damage one, you can simply use the card board tokens.

BTW… my solution removes 38 pieces from the board making more room for other stuff.

ANZAC.jpg

• Looks pretty clean! Elegant solution

• @knp7765:

Yeah, we have the same kind of setup.  What I did was scanned the air and naval bases then printed them up on adhesive label sheets, cut them out and stuck them to the board.  That’s one reason I wasn’t crazy about the new Alpha+3 setup with the removal of the Gibraltar and Malta air bases.  I use the Alpha+3 setup but keep those bases.  Of course, we still have the little cardboard counters for any bases that may be purchased during the game.

I used a similar technique when I replaced the map’s printed country roundels with larger (and in some cases different) roundels which I made for myself.  My customized roundels sit directly on the map board, which is itself covered by a large sheet of clear acrylic.  The acrylic sheet holds the customized roundels in place while at the same time giving a completely smooth playing surface.  (Even without the custom roundels, the map board isn’t smooth: it has creases along the folding lines.)  If ever I want to change the default set-up (for instance to insert or reposition airbase and naval base markers), I just remove the acrylic, change the markers, then put the plastic sheet back on.

• Customizer

@Young:

I have printed my icons straight onto my laminated poster game board (without the Med air bases). I don’t know why people don’t like what I did? bases are never removed from the board and if you buy one or damage one, you can simply use the card board tokens.

BTW… my solution removes 38 pieces from the board making more room for other stuff.

What people don’t like it?  I’m a people and I like it VERY much.  Those naval and air bases look really sharp.  I also notice your convoy marker is much easier to see.  Can I assume you have done the same thing for the Kamikaze markers too?  My only complaint would be that your air bases have a jet plane symbol, but I could still live with that.  Wish I could get my map done up like that.

• Sponsor

@knp7765:

@Young:

What people don’t like it?  I’m a people and I like it VERY much.  Those naval and air bases look really sharp.  I also notice your convoy marker is much easier to see.  Can I assume you have done the same thing for the Kamikaze markers too?  My only complaint would be that your air bases have a jet plane symbol, but I could still live with that.  Wish I could get my map done up like that.

Some people say “what if they get damaged?, what if Larry changes the set up again, you would be screwed”. I think those are very minor concerns that are solvable. Ya, the air bases look like commercial jets, but those were the only icons I could find that were perfect compliments to each other (don’t try scanning the cardboard counters, they don’t work). Yes the kamikaze symbols stand out like the convoy symbols and it has lots more goodies. Here is a detailed thread of my Game room, table and laminated board with more pictures.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25264.0

• @knp7765:

My only complaint would be that your air bases have a jet plane symbol, but I could still live with that.

From what I can see, it’s not actually a jet but rather a picture of a bomber showing the fuselage and wings but not the engines.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@knp7765:

My only complaint would be that your air bases have a jet plane symbol, but I could still live with that.

From what I can see, it’s not actually a jet but rather a picture of a bomber showing the fuselage and wings but not the engines.

Thanks for the support, but who are we kiding? they’re comercial jets.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m