Re: Scale of naval pieces and other companies that make pieces

• @jim010:

GHQ also did ship in 1:2400 bigger than AA BBs, but smaller than AA minis.  They did ships from WWI to modern.  I have some of these as well.  Well proportioned and highly detailed.

FMG is still a better deal, as 1 ship can be $10.  And at this scale, the big ships are too big for the AA maps.  DDs and sb will be fine, though.

If/When you’re ready to take the plunge to larger maps, I recomend Panzerschiffe if you aren’t familiar with them.  They’re in a non-brittle resin plastic which IMHO makes them less of a hassle to deal with than metal and they’re about half the price of GHQ.  Since they’re in a dull-grey color you can also put off painting them if you aren’t so inclined.  They’re BIG though when you’re used to AA scale (at least the capital ships are…)  I’d estimate that you’d need a board about the size of TWG to make use of them properly.

• @KOOLHOVEN:

Good point.I too plan to use FMGs minis instead of 1/300 British made types.These are cheaper then GHQ/PFC(C+C) but lack some of the detail.The 1/3000 scale ships don’t fit in well with AAtypes either,but they do minis of most ships from the 15th to the 21st
    century.I recieved the new USN Freedom LCS last month along with some proposed WW2
    Soviet hybrid BB/CVs!

Which company were those from?  Where do you get your 1/3000 mini’s?  I have some but have found them difficult to get and am always on the look for a more convenient dealer.  (NAVWAR has a great range of those things, but they don’t make it easy to buy from them.  You’d think they were trying to make it hard sometimes!

Note that the size difference between 1/2400 and 1/3000 is drastic!  If someone would combine Panzershiffe’s plastic material and molding and better sculpting with NAVWAR’s range and smaller scale I think I’d still be collecting them!  As it was, I got frustrated that neither was quite the AA substitute I was looking for and gave up for a while.

• @reloader-1:

I really really wanted a Panzer III as well.

We already have a heavy tank in the OOB set, and for those who want FMG pieces to “replace” and not supplement, we have the Tiger.

Well, whether the Panther was really a “medium” or a “heavy” is something of a perspectival question.  The Germans had intended it as a medium–specifically as an answer to the T-34.  Admittedly the German tendency toward over-engineering led to a tank that was actually almost as heavy as most “heavies” but you could still declare the OOB Panthers as “mediums.”  Note that the Germans did put them into mass production and phase out production of the Panzer III in favor of the Panther under Speer (once he was able to lower the production cost of the Panther to just slightly more than that of the other mediums.)  So it did end up being a fairly common tank in the late stages, unlike the Tigers…

Your point still stands for those who intend to completely replace the OOB pieces, and is made even stronger by the fact that the black Germans seem to be something that won’t come right away and will be limited edition, which hurts the FMG compatibility factor…

So, yes, I’m still stoked and enthusiastic about them, but I do see your point.  Maybe TT will still come to our rescue with a broader armor line in the right scale.  Haven’t heard a peep from that quarter lately, though…

• Panzershiffe’s plastic material is very brittle. Smokestacks frequently break off and the price is not cheap. About $4 per ship and very limited types.

• hello, im tryng to pre-order the italy army in field marshal games and im planing to do the same with the german army and so on,but i live in Brazil and when im trying to checkout there,s no paying method!? someone can explain to me what i need to do? Field marshal games ins,t World Wide anymore?

sry if this ins,t the right threat to post.

• @DrLarsen:

Note that the size difference between 1/2400 and 1/3000 is drastic!  If someone would combine Panzershiffe’s plastic material and molding and better sculpting with NAVWAR’s range and smaller scale I think I’d still be collecting them!  As it was, I got frustrated that neither was quite the AA substitute I was looking for and gave up for a while.

For an even more drastic scale difference, see the 1/6000 scale models made by Figurehead Ships.  They’re half the size of the Navwar ones:

http://www.nobleminis.com/Figurehead/Figurehead6000.pdf

• '10

@Rapossu:

hello, im tryng to pre-order the italy army in field marshal games and im planing to do the same with the german army and so on,but i live in Brazil and when im trying to checkout there,s no paying method!? someone can explain to me what i need to do? Field marshal games ins,t World Wide anymore?

sry if this ins,t the right threat to post.

Please use our contact form to send me an e-mail.  I can manually set-up your order for you but I need your e-mail.

Thanks

• @Imperious:

Panzershiffe’s plastic material is very brittle. Smokestacks frequently break off and the price is not cheap. About $4 per ship and very limited types.

Yes, they’re somewhat limited in range compared to Navwar, but I’m hard-pressed to think of any other company with a comparable range; in fact, I’d love to learn about such a company if it exists.

I really didn’t think they were that brittle, especially when you compare them to metals; they also avoid molding some of the more breakable things like antennae or separate pieces that need to be glued together (which are frequently found with metals…)

No, they’re not cheap, but they’re cheaper than GHQ

… if they were just a little smaller…

1/2400 is simply too big to be compatible with AA pieces unless you plan to replace entire navies and use BIG boards.  1/3000 could maybe work if you just replaced, say cruisers, BB’s & CV’s and painted them AA colors, which I experimented with… but metals mixed with plastics… I’m not so sure.  I even tried some 1/6000, but they went too far the other direction: they were just too small!

• @DrLarsen:

1/2400 is simply too big to be compatible with AA pieces unless you plan to replace entire navies and use BIG boards.  1/3000 could maybe work if you just replaced, say cruisers, BB’s & CV’s and painted them AA colors, which I experimented with… but metals mixed with plastics… I’m not so sure.  I even tried some 1/6000, but they went too far the other direction: they were just too small!

Would 1/4800 fill the gap between 1/3000 and 1/6000?  See:
    http://www.pfc-cinc.com/page/page/312842.htm

• @CWO:

@DrLarsen:

Would 1/4800 fill the gap between 1/3000 and 1/6000?  See:
    http://www.pfc-cinc.com/page/page/312842.htm

Possibly… I think I might pick up a set for comparison purposes… Anyone out there try this scale?

I checked out the link and it sounds like a promising tip, but they still don’t have a very big range… looks like they have some Brits and Germans and that’s about it…

• Is it safe to assume, that orders will begin shipping later this week?

• @FieldMarshalGames:

New update.  Product will be ready on march 8th.  ACTUAL PRODUCT

So I am told….

For Stickman

• Sorry for the delay.Most of my 1/3000 is Navwar.Davco(Skytrex) is roughly the same.There is a smaller firm that has lots of minor ships that even Navwar don’t carry,but they are sold by Stronghold which isn’t trading at the moment.The old Trafalgar range is being produced by MY Miniatures.These are some old molds but Mick is getting these right.He has a lot of newer things that are great and will nor be made by anyone else.The Soviet WW2 hybrid BB/CV,also WW2 hybrids thet were proposed by several other nations.The jewel of 1/3000 scale is Denian Models.Ian only does moderns,but they are great.Sadly,Denian is a one man show and can be as hard to deal with as Navwar.But Navwar gets my support,if you need a WW2 Swedish fleet pack(I have 3),you can only get it from Navwar.
    I have a few 1/4800/1/6000,but they are a little too small.But MY does a solid range of these.They are nothing like C+C,but Micks  latest/newest  are nice.His mini of the Rex
    liner as a CV is a beauty.These are 1/4800 by the way.In 1/6000,Afrodri on Shapeways
    makes 6-7 moderns.Due to no one making the latest air warfare DDGs in 1/3000,I bought a bunch of his Arsenal ships to fill in as proixes.These fit in well in 1/3000,as they are roughly the size of a Burke class DDG,but are super stealthy and have about 60-70 well define silos.

• Customizer

For anyone that is interested, I did a little research and computations and came up with fairly accurate scales for the WOTC ships.  They are pretty much all over the place with only two being the same– The US and Japanese carriers.  Interesting note on the carriers, all of the game piece carriers are the exact same length:  64mm.  The other warships vary, but the carriers are the same.  I wonder if that was on purpose.
    I only did measurments for battleships, carriers, cruisers and destroyers for USA, UK, Germany and Japan.  Except for the Russian BB, CA and DD, all the other pieces are shared anyway.
    BATTLESHIPS
    USA = Iowa  1/4433
    UK = Royal Oak  1/3259
    Germany = Bismarck  1/4048
    Japan = Yamato  1/4458
    AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
    USA = Wasp  1/4156
    UK = Illustrious  1/3542
    Germany = Graf Zepplin  1/4102
    Japan = Shinano  1/4156
    CRUISERS
    USA = Portland  1/3720
    UK = Kent  1/3840
    Germany = Hipper  1/4009
    Japan = Takao  1/3773
    DESTROYERS
    USA = Johnston  1/2440
    UK = Same as USA
    Germany = Zerstorer 1934  1/2380
    Japan = Fubuki  1/2519

Notice that the destroyer scales are almost half that of the battleships and carriers.  Imagine how tiny the destroyers would have to be if they were the same scale as the battleships.

• Nice work! Sounds about right.

• @knp7765:

Notice that the destroyer scales are almost half that of the battleships and carriers.  Imagine how tiny the destroyers would have to be if they were the same scale as the battleships.

Yes, definitely a case where practicality justifies taking some artistic license.

• This is the project that will never end. :-(

• yes just like Alpha 1, Alpha 2 and Alpha 3, etc.

• @Rorschach:

@FieldMarshalGames:

New update.  Product will be ready on march 8th.  ACTUAL PRODUCT

So I am told….

For Stickman

Thanks Rorschach. I wonder if this applies to the pre-orders as well.

• Hey stickman I thought he said pre orders will ship first on March 8th when he gets them and then we can order and wait for Germany.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m