• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Guys don’t forget on May 26th - 28th, Worlds Wars mini TV series will be on. It is 6 hour mini series about the men of WW2, through their perspectives. It will be on the history channel. This just a friendly reminder for those interested. :-D

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Yea man, this looks like a great show. Really looking forward to it.

@hkytown1:

Yea man, this looks like a great show. Really looking forward to it.

I’m hoping it will be good. It looks good, anyway. :-)

• Customizer

I deleted History from my EPG since I have no interest in Redneck reality shows.

Rescanned for Vikings, but still can’t find out if its the full version they’re showing.

Just reminding anybody that is interested in the mini series, that The World Wars starts tonight on the history channel 8:00 pm CST. :-D

Did anybody get to watch this?

If so, what did you think about it?

I really enjoyed it, myself.

• '13

Im going to watch it tonight to see how it is. I hope it is does well.

• The first episode was fantastic!  I learned a lot, especially about WWI.  Between this and Dan Carlin’s series “Blue Print to Armageddon”, I’m seeing the first WWI in a whole new light.

I had forgotten about the US chasing Pancho Villa. I didn’t know Hitler was an artist.  I learned a lot. It was very educational. :-)

• I didn’t know Mussolini was a shock jock!  Also, I didn’t realize Germany sent Lenin back as a hail mary to get Russia out of the war.  Extremely informative series.

Side note, I read about the early life of Churchill in college.  The more I learn about him, the more I swear James Bond is based off of him.  So much more than a clever politician.

Yes, I didn’t know Mussolini was a sharpshooter, and that Hitler patterned his reign, like Mussolini. I didn’t know about the hail mary, either, but the Mexican deal, backfired. Churchill, definitely had an interesting life. Great start to the series so far.

• Well they began saying October 1914, then somehow there is some gas attack and somehow their are gasmasks. Not accurate.

Then latter they have another gas attack and claim “its a secret weapon” and somehow they defend with gas masks.

It could not be a secret weapon if the defenders have the remedy for it. That trick only happened when they first used gas and no masks were available.

The actor playing young Hitler sucked, The actor playing young Patton sucked, The older versions might be better.

• I’m disappointed in the series. But I love WW1 history and expect more.

Creating the story that Patton broke open the Western Front is just misleading. The Battle of Cambrai was fought a year earlier. In which hundreds of tanks in mass broke the Western Front for a short time.

No mention was made of the German 1918 do or die “Peace Offense”.

Well, I’m glad you both pointed out the mistakes. It is better to know the real truth, than not. Thanks for your comments. :-)

• '13

The first episode was ok, however like others have pointed out, it has it’s problems.

The Russian Revolution was portrayed poorly and completely skipped over the civil war. The show makes it seem like it was easy, that lenin just stormed the palace and took power and that was that.

However, there was a real power struggle that threatened it. While the white forces were not as united as the red, they were still a large hurtle that the Boshleviks had to get over to remain in power. There was also foreign intervention from the allied powers to try to kick Lenin out and keep Russia in the war.

Ill watch the second episode tomorrow since i watched the first one while the second was running.

@Quintus:

The first episode was ok, however like others have pointed out, it has it’s problems.

The Russian Revolution was portrayed poorly and completely skipped over the civil war. The show makes it seem like it was easy, that lenin just stormed the palace and took power and that was that.

However, there was a real power struggle that threatened it. While the white forces were not as united as the red, they were still a large hurtle that the Boshleviks had to get over to remain in power. There was also foreign intervention from the allied powers to try to kick Lenin out and keep Russia in the war.

Ill watch the second episode tomorrow since i watched the first one while the second was running.

I won’t be able to watch the rest of this series till this weekend, so I won’t be reading this thread till probably Monday. Thanks for your contribution to this thread as well, Quintus. :-)

John

• I think P.O.U. has to be kept in mind.  A 6 hour series can’t contain all of the information. I feel it’s fine to gloss over things, especially if your target audience is people who know little about it.

That said, they probably should have tightened up that gas attack bit.

I enjoyed episode 2 and am excited for part 3 tomorrow.

• I have only seen episode one, will watch the next two later this week.

It being the 100th anniversary of WWI I thought more details should have been given to the War. It was so much more than trenches.

• Now in part two they ripped off scenes from Conspiracy and Valkyrie repeatedly. Nice way to save money i guess.

The older Hitler has great eyes, and nose, but terrible skin and chin. Why can’t they use the guy who played in Valkyrie? Shoestring budget?

This is nothing but a broad stroke of summary History with nothing new or interesting except commentary by relevant American politicians. The BBC Documentary on The War was a hundred times better.

• '13

@ChromiumAgeCollector:

I think P.O.U. has to be kept in mind.  A 6 hour series can’t contain all of the information. I feel it’s fine to gloss over things, especially if your target audience is people who know little about it.

That said, they probably should have tightened up that gas attack bit.

I enjoyed episode 2 and am excited for part 3 tomorrow.

Well i thought they would have put the civil war in since they showed the the grab for power from Hitler and Mussolini. IMO it would be far more interesting and develop the russian side of the story, which as of the first movie has barely been talked about at all.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m