How to create magnetic carrier based planes

• From our friends in Denmark!

Can you help me posting this article as a sticky and in the right place on the forum for all to enjoy?

Kind Regards
    Jonas Scheidelin von Pein
    Assistant General Manager
    Axis & Allies Club Danmark
    jonas@aaclubdk.dk

http://www.mediafire.com/?asfbzhkafi8mmm1

• where can i find decalcs?

• Where can I find that tape they are using?

• @Dijitz:

Where can I find that tape they are using?

Most craft stores would likely have it.  Depends on where you live I guess.

• you can order some at amazon.com

• hello, I’m new to the forum.
    I just want to show how I made my aircraft carrier.
    Comments are welcome!

http://s436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/yvestraversy/Magnetic aircraft carrier/

Excuse my English, I’m French.

• Ya That looks good. Could try to match color to cover magnets.

• To: all Axis & Allies players in the World

1. Decals for use with our painted units are from GHQ Models.
    2. Magnetic tape for use with painted Aircraft Carriers and Fighters (all types) is from Coolstuff.dk
    3. Painted units for use with Axis & Allies are from Axis & Allies Club Danmark (aaclubdk.dk)
    4. Expansion rules for use with Axis & Allies are from Axis & Allies Club Danmark
    5. Airplanes scale 1/600 in pewter are from Vapor Trials (unpainted)
    6. Tanks (all types & nations) are from GHQ Models (unpainted)

• @Imperious:

From our friends in Denmark!

Can you help me posting this article as a sticky and in the right place on the forum for all to enjoy?

Kind Regards
    Jonas Scheidelin von Pein
    Assistant General Manager
    Axis & Allies Club Danmark
    jonas@aaclubdk.dk

Excellent idea thanks. I found a very good idea for the planes. Instead of using magnetic tape, use magnetic primer (contains iron fillings) and paint the base of the plane.

• Hi, guys…

CAAC: Excellent work :)

Expanding on that:

1. Planes are a bit heavier (which i prefer).

2. Planes are easier to pick up from the board (especially if you glue two magnetic tapes on top of each other -> double thickness -> “heavy bomber”).

3. When you move Aircraft Carriers around with planes they dont “fly” all over the place.

4. Attaching the magnetic tape on the russian artillery (under, back) prevents it from tipping over.

5. Since the planes are already “magnetized”; make Air Plane Rack -> Use one 5-10g fishing weight (lead, or some modern alloy) as a base. I used one that was spherical, with a hole in the middle (for fishing line), pressed it so that is got a bit flattended where the holes are. Press an iron nail into one of the small holes. Use a nail that is not galvanized (not magnetic) and has a flat head on top (the planes fit perfectly on top). I use a 2 cm nail for fighters, 2,5 cm for tactical bombers and a 3 cm for strategic bombers. If you solder/glue a paper clip on the nail, close to the head/top, you can place 3-5 planes on one rack/nail -> perfect for London (plenty of defending fighters) og bombing raids.

• Thanks this was really helpful. I really hate the way the Japanese tac. bombers have wheels which makes them nearly impossible to keep on carriers. This solved that problem. Thanks!

• I don’t care for the look of the magnets on the carrier decks, an alternative would be to drill a hole in the carriers with a pin vise, then glue a section of thin stiff wire in the hole sticking out. Next drill holes in the bottom of your planes, stick the peg in the hole etc….they stick to the decks without such a change in the look of either piece. Also I use the same wire for stands to make my aircraft fly. As soon as I hit my post minimum there will be pics lol

• '21 '18 '16

We used some magnetic backing from a craft store that had adhesive on one side. You must measure the deck width of each countries carrier and then mark the cuts. As far as the planes go, it was kind of custom for each type of aircraft. The japanese tac bombers have wheels and we simply used my wife’s cuticle cutters (I know insert laughter here) and cut the wheels off. the bottom was lightly sanded with some of her fingernail boards (insert more laughter) to create and even surface and the problem of the uneven surface was easily solved. The only thing to keep in mind is to check the polarity of the magnetic sheet so that your planes sit correctly.

IMG_2047.JPG

• '21 '18 '16

Heres another one

IMG_2048.JPG

• '17 '16 Customizer

Defiantly a mod im interested in, thanks for sharing.

• Hey Everyone,

Just joined the forum because I was looking for ideas on customizing my new G40.  It’s awesome to see all the information that you guys are posting.  I’m just learning how to navigate through this forum and I’m looking forward to be a part of the community. Sorry if this is the wrong section to say hello.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m