Imperious leader’s new innovative combat system for all AA games

• I keep reading your original post. Trying to wrap my brain around it. Starting to make alittle more sense out of it. What does pip stand for?

• Ok a tank is 3-3 right?

so you roll three dice hitting at one, while 2-5 are misses, and if you use the other phase 2 or 3 rules  then 6 means a retreat.

So the tank rolls out: 1,1,5

Two hits and retreat.

The defender loses two units and the tank must retreat.

Example two:

tactical bomber attacking battleship:

rolls 2,3,1

again two hits ( tactical bombers hit on 1-2)

Battleship rolls four dice: 1,4,5,6

tactical bomber hit, BB sunk and retreat roll is ignored since it was sunk. ( its possible to be damaged and forced to retreat as well)

You will notice that battleships need air power because based on cost, the planes will be greater damage than before. Now carriers are more vital.

Just roll out your own battles.

I think it will lead to a whole new system for AA:

land units can have new prices
    the total number of units can be reduced, making the game play faster
    New units can be introduced as per FMG units ( early, mid and late war units or light medium heavy units)
    Greater differentiation of units. some hit on 1 others 1-2, others 1-3 all with unique number of rolls

Pips are the dots on the dice. Each strength point of a unit gets its own roll rather than just one roll. Combat is now easier to show the outcome of and players will make better plans because you are always adding the pips up and comparing the odds. Also, a few of the units have real historical flavor, like tanks and air. I think combat can be just one round, or more elaborate systems like battle of the Bulge where you can introduce chits for ammo/fuel that players pay for combat and you face a ‘cost’ for combat. This is more consistent with better modeling. For example, Germany could not hope to attack everywhere in Russia each turn, rather they became increasingly selective on where they attacked as their supplies run down.

These rules are all part of a new process for AA. Cutting edge stuff IMO.  Id like to see them used in a Barbarossa style game, or even an Africa Corps campaign game.

• Thats awesome! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

• You came up with this system yourself?

• Yes in my sleep actually. I get ideas from dreams. Usually I commit a problem to memory and chew on it during the night and eventually some answer appears about midday.

I think it could work for a Napoleonic game too. fewer units and greater differences between them.

Artillery could cost 3 per strength hit, 1-3
    Cavalry could cost 2 per hit, 1-2
    Infantry could cost 1 per hit 1, 1

one round of combat

Generals could boost movement +1 or ?

• Would wouldn’t you also need to show that if cav rounds up Inf they are easier to kill like this:

Line
    –---------

Block

The block is easier to kill than the line

• @Imperious:

Yes in my sleep actually. I get ideas from dreams. Usually I commit a problem to memory and chew on it during the night and eventually some answer appears about midday.

I think it could work for a Napoleonic game too. fewer units and greater differences between them.

Artillery could cost 3 per strength hit @ 1-3, and roll 3 dice
    Cavalry could cost 2 per hit @ 1-2 and roll 2 dice
    Infantry could cost 1 per hit @ 1, and roll one die

Cavalry allows  defender retreats, and on the first round they get three dice @1-2
    Infantry can square, which reduces attacking Cavalry to hit @1 at 1:1 basis
    Artillery can bombard, which means against squares at 1:1 basis a bonus
    against line infantry with no cavalry support they get a first round bonus.

all one round of combat

Generals could boost movement +1 or ??

OUTSTANDING

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I like it… It reminds me a bit of BotB rules. But you’re right, a new strategy entirely would need to be developed as well as possibly tweeking the initial setup.

• I think all combat would be done faster with this and also players are really forced into making better decisions because you got to add up the equity of the total rolls each turn and obviously you will compare the difference and make better decisions.

• @Imperious:

Yes in my sleep actually. I get ideas from dreams.

Damn, I wish I could remember my dreams. I know they run like movies but I forget freakin everything when I wake up!

• if you roll all dice at once  then how do you determin who retreats on 6’s

• You get to choose in that case. If you choose armor, your attack suffers. If you choose infantry and you take, then you face the possibility of inadequate fodder for enemy counter attacks

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m