• Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

• @Ruanek:

I seem to remember answering this question somewhere else.

In any case, the answer is no.  You cannot go to a hostile sea zone in a non-combat move.

Ok, thank you. But you can place new units into a hostile SZ via adjacent IC correct?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Ruanek:

Honestly though, how often do you buy a mech. infantry instead of a normal infantry?

With Japan?  All the time.

With Germany?  Sometimes, rarely.

With Italy? More often than with Germany, but still, rarely.

With everyone else?  Never.

• Rules : Alpha2+
    Situation :  I declare an amphibious assault from a ship free sea zone. I move transports and Battleship accordingly, but since there’s a airbase with 2 figters adjacent I feel 1 Battleship won’t be enough and I could be beaten at sea.

Question : Can I move, during combat moves, other ships (like destroyer or AirCarrier) and planes to that sea zone so I’m stronger against those 2 possible scrambling figters?

• Official Q&A

@warwinner:

Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

If the US and Japan aren’t yet at war and you’re playing by the box rules, you can move your fleet there.  (In the Alpha rules the US fleet can’t be there if the US isn’t at war with Japan.)

However, if the two powers are at war, you can only move subs and air units that will land on carriers that you are mobilizing into the sea zone.  None of your other units may move into a hostile sea zone in noncombat movement.

In any case, new units may be mobilized in the sea zone.

(Please delete all previous answers to this question.)

• @Krieghund:

@warwinner:

Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

If the US and Japan aren’t yet at war and you’re playing by the box rules, you can move your fleet there.  (In the Alpha rules the US fleet can’t be there if the US isn’t at war with Japan.)

However, if the two powers are at war, you can only move subs and air units that will land on carriers that you are mobilizing into the sea zone.  None of your other units may move into a hostile sea zone in noncombat movement.

In any case, new units may be mobilized in the sea zone.

You could only move subs in NCM to Z6 if there are no Allied destroyers.

• Official Q&A

@BigBadBruce:

Rules : Alpha2+
    Situation :  I declare an amphibious assault from a ship free sea zone. I move transports and Battleship accordingly, but since there’s a airbase with 2 figters adjacent I feel 1 Battleship won’t be enough and I could be beaten at sea.

Question : Can I move, during combat moves, other ships (like destroyer or AirCarrier) and planes to that sea zone so I’m stronger against those 2 possible scrambling figters?

Yes.  The chance of scrambled air defense allows this.

• Official Q&A

@gamerman01:

Not true.  You can move subs into a sea zone with enemy destroyers; you just can’t move them through one.

• It would certainly help Japan out, and the US starts with a few mec that are annoying to try to move across the Atlantic when they can only go 1 at a time or paired with regular infantry.  I like it.

• I have a few questions regarding Alpha 2 global.

Can France and Britan scamble at the same time to defend  the same sea zone ?

What sea zone is the Turkish strait?
    What do Kamakazees hit at? Does the defender get a defense for the Kamakazee attack?

Can Britain move into US sea zones when not at  war with Japan?

Can US move into Brazil if they are not at war?

• @Defiance:

I have a few questions regarding Alpha 2 global.

Can France and Britan scamble at the same time to defend  the same sea zone ?

What sea zone is the Turkish strait?
    What do Kamakazees hit at? Does the defender get a defense for the Kamakazee attack?

Can Britain move into US sea zones when not at  war with Japan?

Can US move into Brazil if they are not at war?

Not sure if I’m allowed to answer, but “unofficial” answers:
    1. Yes France and Britan fighter can scramble along. Remember that each airbase can have a maximum of 3 scrambling planes maximum (mix of fighters/Tac bomber), even if you have more planes in the territory. Example : French fighter, 2 Britan Fighter its ok and max 3 planes is reached.

2. The strait itself is not a sea zone (like gibraltar strait or Pananma canal), it’s located between sz100 and sz99.

3. Kamikaze hits at 2. No defence (actually none needed, every kamikaze used are destroyed…). Japan has 6 blue tokens to represent those 6 kamikazes. No more are available and Japan can’t buy more. So, once used it’s done.

4. Yes, there’s no restrictions regarding UK (or Anzac for that matter) navy.

5. No. USA is not allowed to move land units to a territory that is not their starting territories.

• @Krieghund:

In the interest of providing answers as quickly as possible, anyone else who is sure that they know the answer should feel free to chime in.  If an incorrect answer is given, it should be corrected within a few hours by someone official.  Any incorrect answers or off-topic posts will be deleted by a moderator.

For BigBadBruce:
    Correct answers from any source are always appreciated.

• @Krieghund:

@gamerman01:

Not true.  You can move subs into a sea zone with enemy destroyers; you just can’t move them through one.

I’m looking at page 30
    “if a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer, it must end its movement there.  If it ends its combat move in a hostile sea zone, combat will occur”

Hmm, also page 21
    “Unlike other sea units, submarines can move through and even into hostile sea zones in the NCM phase.  However, a submarine must end its movement when it enters a sea zone containing one or more enemy destroyers”

So you can move submarines in non-combat move into a zone with enemy destroyers, and there will be no combat.  And the subs ARE allowed to move INTO a zone with enemy destroyers.  Wow, I have never seen an opponent do this, so I wonder if most players are not aware of this.

Awesome, my first post on this thread, and I was wrong.

• @SAS:

It would certainly help Japan out, and the US starts with a few mec that are annoying to try to move across the Atlantic when they can only go 1 at a time or paired with regular infantry.  I like it.

I like it the way it is too

• @gamerman01:

So you can move submarines in non-combat move into a zone with enemy destroyers, and there will be no combat.  And the subs ARE allowed to move INTO a zone with enemy destroyers.  Wow, I have never seen an opponent do this, so I wonder if most players are not aware of this.

I wasn’t aware… and wouldn’t understand it without this post. Thanks!

@SAS:

It would certainly help Japan out, and the US starts with a few mec that are annoying to try to move across the Atlantic when they can only go 1 at a time or paired with regular infantry.  I like it.

I dont really think I would be trying to transport Mechs with Japan or America.  America would have a higher chance of it, but I don’t think I would even then.  Not unless I was already done with Japan and trying to get Africa or something.

• @Cmdr:

@SAS:

It would certainly help Japan out, and the US starts with a few mec that are annoying to try to move across the Atlantic when they can only go 1 at a time or paired with regular infantry.  I like it.

I dont really think I would be trying to transport Mechs with Japan or America.  America would have a higher chance of it, but I don’t think I would even then.  Not unless I was already done with Japan and trying to get Africa or something.

Hey, being able to transport 1 mec and 1 tank from Manchuria to FIC (or vice versa) in a single turn for each transport would be awesome.  And yeah, it wouldn’t help America all that much, but it’d still be nice when trying to move into Africa.

• @BigBadBruce:

@gamerman01:

So you can move submarines in non-combat move into a zone with enemy destroyers, and there will be no combat.  And the subs ARE allowed to move INTO a zone with enemy destroyers.  Wow, I have never seen an opponent do this, so I wonder if most players are not aware of this.

I wasn’t aware… and wouldn’t understand it without this post. Thanks!

We will be surprising the heck out of some future opponent who doesn’t read every post in this thread.  :-D

By the way, this is apparently the same in AA50 (and Spring 1942).  This is not a change - just one of the many subtleties “hidden” in the rules.  Almost makes a guy want to read the whole book carefully, word for word again.  Almost.

• I suppose they could tow all their mechanized vehicles behind the transport.  It doesn’t matter if salt water gets into engines right?

Isn’t there a limited amount of space on these ships?  If they can fit 1 mech 1 arm then why not 2 arm units?  Roughly the same number of men AND vehicles.  Of course if there is a limited amount of space, then it might be best just to have 1 unit of inf to go with the heavier equipped units.

Used to house rule two units per transport period.  Infantry, Artillery, Armor…whatever.  Not much difference between a brigade of infantry and a couple companies of tanks, except, teh infantry probably weigh more and take up more room because of all the medical gear, the non-coms attached to the units, ammunition, equipment, rucksacks, duffles, fighting, intra-unit rivalries, officers needing their own zip code each because they refuse to share with enlisted, NCOs who want to throw the officers off the side and finish the war in half the time, etc, etc, etc.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m