• Official Q&A

The AA50 FAQ has been updated on Larry’s site.  The new material is in red.

• @Krieghund:

The AA50 FAQ has been updated on Larry’s site.  The new material is in red.

Very nice, thank you.

I think the biggest thing of the new FAQ is the different treatment of “Heavy Bombers” now. What lead to this decision? I’m just curious…

:-)

• Official Q&A

Both rules changes were done for consistency between AA50 and AAP40/AAE40.

• @Krieghund:

OK, thank you!

• @Krieghund:

But would it be correct to say that a major reason they were watered down in the new games was because the AA50 version of those two techs was extremely powerful and disproportionate to the value of other techs?

• Official Q&A

Maybe.

• @Krieghund:

@TimTheEnchanter:

But would it be correct to say that a major reason they were watered down in the new games was because the AA50 version of those two techs was extremely powerful and disproportionate to the value of other techs?

Just to be sure:
    With the second rule change you mean bombers with paratroopers that have to stop in the territory a tank has just blitzed through now (the bomber was allowed to proceed according to the old FAQ)?

Or did I overread something?

• Official Q&A

That’s correct.

• @Krieghund:

That’s correct.

Thank you for the clarification.

• Customizer

what a sec…. wtf is up with the new Heavy Bombers rule?

can’t you guys just use the Heavy Bombers from Larry Harris Tournament Rules?

i mean… with SBR,
    rolling one die nets you an average of 3.5 damage
    rolling two dice nets you an average of 7 damage
    and rolling two dice and selecting the best nets you an average of 4.5

you guys just nerfed strat bombing by 2.5 damage
    thats a lot

why can’t we use LHTR rules? why didn’t you pick LHTR heavy bombers for the new FAQ?
    LHTR heavy bombers do 5.5 damage on average for strat bombing

krieg… I’m counting on you to tell larry to switch the FAQ to LHTR HB.

• I agree with Veqryn that this is a very, very significant change, and I don’t agree with it either.

Long range air was already the dominant tech, and now it’s that much more dominant.  Why don’t you go ahead and nerf LRA to +1?  Why not nerf mech inf so it takes two tanks to carry an inf?  Why not nerf paratroopers so that bombers can’t attack and carry paratroopers, both?

I know there’s a lot of crying about heavy bombers, but I haven’t seen it really be that overpowering.  Radar and increased production counter it.  Also, heavy bombers on the other side can counter it.  And again, long range air is often more devastating.

I suppose the original AA50 rulebook left heavy bombers ambiguous for this purpose?  So that the rules could be changed at any time, like February of 2010?

I am not happy about this change.

• Page 17, Amphibious Assaults - Step 3. Land Combat: The first sentence should read: “If there was no sea battle or the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy units except transports and submerged submarines, and the attacker still has land units committed to the coastal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle board and conduct combat using the general combat rules (on the next page).”

Just to be sure : does this make subs capable of stopping an amphibious assault, or can they still be ignored from step 1 ?

I believe that this clarification is just to be sure that if there is a combat (because there were something else than trannies and subs in the sea zone, or because the attacker wanted to attack - as for instance to clear the trannies), and if after some rounds there are only subs, they cannot be ignored suddenly by the attacker. Am I right ?

• Official Q&A

Yes, you’re right.  Subs can still be ignored, unless they’re attacked.

To add to the subs question.  What is the ruling on these Sz 5 scenerios:

UK has a loaded AC, 2 ca, 2 dd, 4 trns in SZ 5.  8 inf on UK.
    Germany buys a sub and places it in Sz 5.

As the UK, if you intend on using your trns, you still must load during combat move b/c of the sub, correct?
    So if UK already had Pol, could the Germans block the reinforcement with the sub?

What if the 8 inf were on Fin, and UK wanted to move them to an already friendly NWE, can the sub block the loading of the trns?

Edit:

Essentially its a scenerio where Germany is forcing a combat move from the UK with a sub buy.

• Subs can still be ignored, unless they’re attacked.

That doesn’t make sense from the way the text was updated.  Here is the original paragraph:

Step 3. Land Combat: If the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy warships except submarines and transports,
    and the attacker still has land units committed to the coastal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle
    board and conduct combat using the general combat rules (on the next page). Remember to put casualties from bombardment
    (if any) in the casualty zone.

Here is the updated faq version:

Page 17, Amphibious Assaults - Step 3. Land Combat: The first sentence should read: “If there was no sea battle or the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy units except transports and submerged submarines, and the attacker still has land units committed to the coastal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle board and conduct combat using the general combat rules (on the next page).”

“submerged” was added and in italics.  It seems to me that, submerged subs can still be ignored, but not ones that decide to fight.

• Official Q&A

@DarthMaximus:

As the UK, if you intend on using your trns, you still must load during combat move b/c of the sub, correct?

No.  Subs do not make a sea zone hostile, and they can always be ignored.  The UK’s options will be limited only if it chooses to attack the sub.

@DarthMaximus:

So if UK already had Pol, could the Germans block the reinforcement with the sub?

No.

@DarthMaximus:

What if the 8 inf were on Fin, and UK wanted to move them to an already friendly NWE, can the sub block the loading of the trns?

No.

@DarthMaximus:

Essentially its a scenerio where Germany is forcing a combat move from the UK with a sub buy.

No.

• Official Q&A

@hobo:

Subs can still be ignored, unless they’re attacked.

That doesn’t make sense from the way the text was updated.  Here is the original paragraph:

Step 3. Land Combat: If the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy warships except submarines and transports, and the attacker still has land units committed to the coastal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle board and conduct combat using the general combat rules (on the next page). Remember to put casualties from bombardment (if any) in the casualty zone.

Here is the updated faq version:

Page 17, Amphibious Assaults - Step 3. Land Combat: The first sentence should read: “If there was no sea battle or the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy units except transports and submerged submarines, and the attacker still has land units committed to the coastal territory, move all attacking and defending units to the battle board and conduct combat using the general combat rules (on the next page).”

“submerged” was added and in italics.  It seems to me that, submerged subs can still be ignored, but not ones that decide to fight.

“If there was no sea battle or the sea zone has been cleared of all defending enemy units except transports and submerged submarines,”

If the attacker ignores the subs, there will be no sea battle.  If the attacker attacks the subs, they must be eliminated or forced to submerge.

• @Krieghund:

@DarthMaximus:

No.  Subs do not make a sea zone hostile, and they can always be ignored.   The UK’s options will be limited only if it chooses to attack the sub.

This means that if UK want to kill these subs, and that the 8inf are in Finland, then UK cannot load them ?

So UK cannot ignore the subs to load the units and attack them in the same turn ?

But then I would have another question : UK has plenty of boats in sz2 (including destroyers, and to simplify let assume that they have no more air power), germany a sub in sz8 and Italy some boats in sz12. Then, UK has to choose between attacking sz8 or sz12 ?

• Official Q&A

@Yoshi:

This means that if UK want to kill these subs, and that the 8inf are in Finland, then UK cannot load them ?

Since the sea zone isn’t hostile, the units in Finland can be loaded.  However, since the UK is attacking, the transports must either remain and be involved in the attack, or move away during combat movement.  As a result, the only way the units can loaded is to use them for an amphibious assault.

@Yoshi:

So UK cannot ignore the subs to load the units and attack them in the same turn ?

Not unless it’s attacking with the units.

@Yoshi:

But then I would have another question : UK has plenty of boats in sz2 (including destroyers, and to simplify let assume that they have no more air power), germany a sub in sz8 and Italy some boats in sz12. Then, UK has to choose between attacking sz8 or sz12 ?

Not at all.  Subs can always be ignored during movement.  The attack doesn’t happen until after all combat movement is completed.  Some UK ships can stop in sea zone 8 to attack the subs, while others move through to sea zone 12.

• Ok I see that the clarification doesn’t override that subs can always be ignored, and can think of a scenario where that update would help clear things up.  Still think it would be better to have subs be able, by choice, to defend against amphibious assaults.  Doesn’t make sense for a sub patrolling the US west coast to just watch a lone Japanese transport drop troops to California, uncontested  :lol:.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m