Has Anyone Tried An "Historically Accurate" A&A Game?

• @superbattleshipyamato Hello! Over the past 3 days, I have been working on my own Europe 1940 Axis and Allies map. The map is made to be played with just Europe, Africa, and North America. I wanted to make it to like this so people can play games in-depth but not have to be drawn-out over so many continents.

ATM, the base map is finished and I am working on the additional small (but important) details like:

Roundels
    IPC’s p/ Territory
    Extra small creative things

The rulebook will be the hardest to make and I will post the full map for play testing. The map will cost too much money to print ATM so I will mostly rely on community members to help. I am afraid about people copying but I will find a way to prevent that.

I need a logo for the corner of the map so I will work on that soon. I hope when everything is play tested I can print it. It might be another 1-2 years (or more)

So yeah, if you have any ideas, I will mark them down in my notes maybe I can add them to my map or add them in the rulebook (there is like 2 pages done…)

• @all-encompassing-goose

Thank you for responding! For your new game, what ideas are you asking for? As in, do you want it to be historically accurate, or do you want to change the game dynamics (such as changing the value of capitals, the value of the Soviet Union, or making China really big and adding communist partisans to make it very hard to conquer like in real life)?

• @superbattleshipyamato

just ideas you would wish would be in the E40 map that wasn’t previously. The map is made so if I did add the Middle East and onwards, it would be terribly distorted (there is a thread where someone made a map with my European proportions and it is wild)

I made the map “handdrawn” so the straight lines in the borders for example in Algeria isn’t exactly straight (but the sea zones are and stuff)

Should I add “roundels” for each province or maybe add their flag in each province (with some blending filters on) or maybe a tiny flag below/above the IPC thing. I don’t want to add naval ports and airports if someone wanted to make a variant for the map then there wouldn’t be random naval ports and air port pre-installed into the map with no actual marker–

Thank you for replying :)

• 2024 2023 '22

@all-encompassing-goose

Thank you for responding!

Just add flags for small countries, such as Romania and Bulgaria. For your game I would just add all the historically accurate rules I highlighted in previous posts. An interesting idea for games with the maximum amount of players is diplomacy-making and breaking alliances and peace treaties. Bribes of territories, ships, IPCs, aircraft, and maybe even some ground units are allowed. This might make victory conditions for both sides fairly problematic though.

• @superbattleshipyamato I was thinking of making an Antarctica map (Nazis in the middle, bunches of Cold War countries at the coasts) with a mix of Diplomacy. Each player chooses a country on the board and then the other, and the other until everyone chooses their country. They place a “capital” marker on it. Each territory has an 3 IC besides of the middle.

The Nazis is only played by one player and that player cannot choose any other territory from the coast of Antarctica 🇦🇶

Once every player has their capital territory (besides Nazis) they choose a territory from around the coast that they choose to “control” and it goes around and around the players until every territory is controlled by some sort of player.

There might be 2+3 inland provinces separating the coastal territories from the Nazis. The game province system is picked out a lot like Risk. Anyways, every country can be in alliances or be at war. Diplomacy will not work if there is 2-3 players.

If there is 2 players (Nazis vs Coastal Regions) then I haven’t thought of a rule for that yet but this is in the planning stages tehe…

Update for my map:

Each Victory City is going to have a star with the country’s original flag in it. Everywhere else is marked with their airforce roundel. Croatia territory is marked as “Pro-Axis” and deemed seperate than rest of Yugoslavia. Don’t remember the full names ATM but it is made to represent the puppet Croatian government having the north of Yugoslavia while the rest is split up (whoever takes it, usually the Germans but could be the Italians)
    Romania is split into 3 territories to make the country more interesting. It is still a pro-axis but it takes atleast 2-3 turns to get all the Balkans controlled by the Axis (blitzing through them heh)

I want to make the game a lot slower since we have time for a drawn-out game (it’s a smaller map, not as much territories as Global 36 but is plentiful in distance) When I make the rulebook I will have to tweak lots of stuff.

The map is probably 92% finished. It looks alot like Axis and Allies Europe (1999) but 3x nicer. If I could get this done in a few months with all the rulebook testing and things I would like to get it printed at HBG (problem is is that I don’t know their policy) I could tell them to print it and keep like 30% of the profits or something (just generalizing) My map is like ~500 MB or something on Photoshop if I remember (might be wrong)

Today I didn’t do as much as I wanted. My computer + school computer is just so slow at loading and moving everything so it is sluggish process with all the time I have for it. I did the logo and I think it looks fantastic. I made special effects like snow and mountains yesterday but I messed up and it doesn’t look very good (I want to make it so they can stop blitzes and -1 attack tank, mech) I believe tomorrow I will try to fix it the best I can because after a day of look at them they aren’t very good… (.

If I was good at photoshop I would add a nice-looking HD coastline but there’s probably some plugin for it (I just downloaded Photoshop 3 days ago) The black borders and sweet, crisp borders (better than G36 and A&A) but I will have to work on some things more I guess.

One important thing I want to do tomorrow however is the convoy boxes in the middle of the Atlantic (instead of on the “coasts”) I believe they would look great. I might just add them without creating a new sea zone border and whenever Germany is in the seazone they can just use an extra movement with their subs and sit on the IPC-breaking machine…

Oh maybe I forgot to add the text for the land provinces. That will be last since I want to make sure there is room for the IPC per province thing and the roundels (of course)

• 2024 2023 '22

@all-encompassing-goose

Awesome stuff! Your Antarctica thing sounds really crazy, which will be interesting, especially the map and the radically different rules from normal Axis And Allies.

For your map, Croatia should be a very weird sort of territory that doesn’t exist at the start, but only after the fall of Yugoslavia. For your convoy zones, I found this on another forum by Keodis:

“You don’t have to be on the coast of britain to sink merchant vessels-if we changed it so certain sea zones (I can’t name them yet i gotta check the board first) that have a German warship or U-boat in it cause an automatic loss of 1 IPC to the UKs economy, and if there’s a warship in a convoy sea zone that equals 3 ipcs lost (limit 12 IPCs a turn total?), then the RN is going to be going around the atlantic trying to sink all the U-boats and wont be sitting around the UK all the time.

I think changing the way convoys are disrupted are good because it will speed up the game.”

What year is your game taking if Romania is pro-Axis? Thank you!

You mention about Historical Board Gaming and how they will release your game on their website-I’m s bit confused about how all of this works, so maybe you can help me like that? Thank you!

The Black and Baltic Seas should be more dynamic and have more sea sones in the naval war there-I always found the small naval battles between the Soviet Union and the Axis in the Black and Baltic Seas, as it’s so different from the great naval battles of the Atlantic and the Pacific.

I hope you will have an easier time making this map in the future! I look forward to seeing it here.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

F3B4E40C-7F5A-4074-99B6-5F3A10CA0F60.jpeg

Here’s my convoy boxes we use on my map and setup in Atlantic. There is boxes in pacific too. Double click on map to blow up.

• @general-5-stars Looks very good, will be taking inspiration. I see your event cards at the bottom. I was thinking in the shower yesterday about specific “real life event decision cards” for countries like Italy. Either choose to be in the war on Turn 1 or 2 (France almost destroyed by then) or choose to be neutral until later. Makes Italy a much more independent nation. I want to use a 12 dice system because one of the special things about that is if you spam infantry as the Soviets, it isnt that big of a deal it’s just an extra HP and ~3-2+ defense if I make a tank for example, fight at 6-~7 but of course you can buy anti tank weapons and things :} Haven’t typed the rules yet so just pondering I gueesss.

The Atlantic Ocean in my map is shrunk to make Europe and Africa as important as possible (while still keeping North America on the far-left side separated from 3 seazones to Portugal, 2 to Azores, 4 to France, 4-5 to UK/Ireland

Ofc I will have to revamp the movements of the navies and stuff. I need to read all of the realistic suggestion posts again–

You’re map looks very nice but it is so big :astonished: it’s like a dream! (Edit: the proportions are quite accurate but it makes sense because the size) I just realized today that my map is so filtered with tons of glowing borders and stuff maybe that is why most maps I see dont have them pokes self in eye printing

Hmmmmm I cant think of anything else to say so I will talk again in a few hours

• @superbattleshipyamato I am going to test this variant out it sounds like alot of fun. My “group” is almost done with our test-Pacific-40 game… I will set that 39 game for Thanksgiving Break

• Those 3 cards are not event cards on map. Those are National Objective 3 Island Group cards. 3 for the Med and 9 cards for the Pacific. It promotes more Island hopping and control of certain islands for plane assaults.

• @general-5-stars Well that sounds like a nice addition either way

• FF4E46B2-6AB2-4BA7-BD25-86A592B2C6FA.jpeg

This is the pacific setup with convoy boxes and the 9 island groups on this side doesn’t show the cards. But the cards are colored and there also is a colored dot by the island in the groups.

Here’s a taste of German event cards but some have been changed.

5EDC1904-C46C-49F8-9733-344B000E1AD1.jpeg

• @All-Encompassing-Goose

I finished several games. A little hard for the Axis to win, but definitely enjoyable otherwise.

What do you think?

• @All-Encompassing-Goose

How’s the map going?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m