• This thread is for discussion of strategies in WW2 Path to Victory. Enjoy!

• I play Axis in a few games now. One is finished.

Germany

Still consider Barbarossa to be the main strategy, but not advisable to spam mechs now. The tank-mech-combo is really strong, but also very expensive. Just try to get an equal number of them to benefit from the combined arms. Because of this I instead go heavy on slow-movers from Berlin.

First goal is controlling Leningrad and building a mIC there. Second goal is Ukraine. Likely a mIC there as well. Third goal is Stalingrad and Caucasus.

Building figs and tacs is also a priority, making good use of the ab’s. An ab in Yugo is still a good idea when the timing is right.

Japan

Still goes heavy on carrier-builds the first half-dozen turns. Getting control of the DEI.

China is possible to kill, but think it’s more important to control the front towards Calcutta. That’s the main target.

Think a mIC and 2 tr is still a strong first build.

• Might add that now it’s not a problem for G and I to SBR the russian mIC’s, since they’ll just get destroyed anyway. So Ukraina and Stalingrad usually gets some early heat. Leningrad seems to usually be protected by a fig or two.

• Ah, yes, I like to DOW with both G and J on turn 3. That are late DOWs, but by then they’ve come into good positions and are able to do strong pushes.

Since Italy can’t hit Normandie from N Italy anymore, it’s important for G to succeed in both Paris and Normandie (apart from Vichy it’s also that 3-NO at stake). It’s not so easy, especially with the scramble, but means G can only hit one of the UK-fleets. I normally go for z113.

• @trulpen said in WW2 Path to Victory - Strategies:

Since Italy can’t hit Normandie from N Italy anymore, it’s important for G to succeed in both Paris and Normandie (apart from Vichy it’s also that 3-NO at stake). It’s not so easy, especially with the scramble, but means G can only hit one of the UK-fleets. I normally go for z113.

Hey Trulpen, I really liked your analysis and largely agree with it, except on this point. Because of the position of Germany’s starting units, it is possible to take both Normandy and France, and hit both fleets. There is an extra infantry in Holland, and an extra mech in Austria to take on the two territories, and one of Germany’s tacs has been moved from Poland to Western Germany in order to buff its attacks on the fleets. I’ve made these attacks in pretty much every game and haven’t hand a problem.

Otherwise, I think you are on the money with your observations. Good stuff.

• Thanks! I’ll look into it.

• @WindowWasher observes:

“Trying out P2V right now, I’m having trouble identifying an achievable goal with the US in the Pacific.”

I would make sure that you are playing the most recent version of the map (version 4.0), as it includes some subtle changes that impact the US’s strategic options in the Pacific–specifically: (1) reduction of carrier defense to 1; (2) limiting carrier scrambles to sea zones with defending surface warships; (3) the redrawing of Korea to touch Sea Zone 21; and (3) the addition of a US Marine to Hawaii.

• More broadly, I would say that the United States needs to be working together with the other Allies to apply simultaneous pressure to Japan on multiple fronts. Both Russia and China have been buffed for this purpose (factory in Siberia + boosted Russian economy and a bigger, badder China). US goes for the islands and puts pressure of the fleet (just like in Global), while Russia puts meaningful pressure on the north, and China harasses Japan on the mainland, particularly around Yunnan. The Allies’ fortunes in the Pacific depend on a skillful and efficient marshaling of these forces.

• '21 '20

So, the aim of P2V in the pacific was to open up other major fronts against the Japanese, not just the islands. And the key to defeating the Japanese is to put pressure on all fronts. I like it

• '21 '20

Do allied fighters make Moscow untakable due to how powerful Russia is?

Has anyone gone after Japan with Russia? Maybe combine forces with china?

Has anyone tried to take the neutrals as the allies?

If so, how did it go?

• @WindowWasher said in WW2 Path to Victory - Strategies:

Do allied fighters make Moscow untakable due to how powerful Russia is?

Has anyone gone after Japan with Russia? Maybe combine forces with china?

Has anyone tried to take the neutrals as the allies?

If so, how did it go?

• Russia is so powerful that it is in no need of foreign air for defence of Moscow.

• Everyone.

• Not what I know of.

• '21 '20

Ok, is japan beatable if Russia doesnt go after it? @trulpen

• Should be. The biggest impact is US, but mainly depends on how all of the allied forces are able to work together. If UK-Pac shifts all their fleet west, Japan will have an easier time and Italy tougher.

• @WindowWasher i think the answer depends on how you define “go after it.” If you mean can Japan be beaten even if Russia doesn’t declare war on it, then I think the answer is almost certainly “yes.” Russia can apply pressure (i.e. by keeping some units in the Far East) without declaring war. The reallocation of Japanese forces in the north should help the other allies engage with Japan.

• So you consider it advisable to keep deterring force by Korea/Manchuria?

• Is there a penalty in these rules for either ussr or japan breaking the treaty ?

• @GEN-MANSTEIN, yes, the Soviet-Mongolian Defence Pact. If JDOW it activates, if RDOW it never does.

• Why doesn’t Russia get a penalty ?

• The penalty is that they won’t get the 8 mongolian inf.

But I agree, not much of a penalty and hence the reason why I believe there will be a 95 % tendency of early RDOW in P2V.

Japan should not have much interest in pushing north since south, west and east is quite enough for them already.

• @trulpen said in WW2 Path to Victory - Strategies:

The penalty is that they won’t get the 8 mongolian inf.

But I agree, not much of a penalty and hence the reason why I believe there will be a 95 % tendency of early RDOW in P2V.

Japan should not have much interest in pushing north since south, west and east is quite enough for them already.

Ya. How many Mongolians Inf are there ? 15 ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m