Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• @Omega1759 China’s out of control. No Japanese force can stand next to the 15 inf + 4 art + plane this round, and it will grow another 4 units per round for the foreseeable future. This could have been cheaply avoided if Japan had simply attacked Hunan on J1. He chose an unusual variant of the opening for a reason.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@Omega1759 China’s out of control. No Japanese force can stand next to the 15 inf + 4 art + plane this round, and it will grow another 4 units per round for the foreseeable future. This could have been cheaply avoided if Japan had simply attacked Hunan on J1. He chose an unusual variant of the opening for a reason.

He can go to Hunan or Keichow, but he exposes Yunnan as a result and doesn’t touch any expensive territory from either place yet. Meanwhile Japan an IC in French Indochina, an intact air force, a huge navy, 6 transports and 55 IPC to spend. China would need tremendous UK + Russian + US + Anzac support to explode as you’re describing. 4 units per turn isn’t hard to contain for Japan.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I just did a practice turn to see what the end result would look like. There would be a number of things that I would still want to think about here. These would include the distribution of units between Yunnan and India and whether the fleets in 54 and 109 are safe. 63 and 106 are also options there. I didn’t stack Malta as I had initially planned as I thought that was too risky. And I decided that because the Japan fleet is in the South I could afford to not build the naval base, but still a point to consider. I also assumed the inf on the transport off Hawaii was there in error and edited it on to Hawaii. But it might be too late to do that or not an error. And sorry if this is annoying. I just had some time and no other turns to play and enjoyed the procrastination. allied turns tutor game.tsvg

I think this is a good move on balance. It chases the Italians out of Gibraltar and allows the British Navy + Canadian troops to put pressure on the Axis. In this fashion there is some pressure on the European theater and we start getting back in shape. Going after Japan in the Pacific is a fantasy, we just want to make sure to hold Hawaii, Sydney and keep India for as long as we can.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

1. if you win the battle in the Carolines and stack the sea zone with all of the Allied fleet, and land the ANZAC planes on the island, you should be able to withstand a full attack. If you lose the battle (4% chance), and can’t land supporting planes on the island, I think he will destroy your fleet. Worth double checking the numbers since you lose the game if he destroys your Pacific fleet. My question is why park in Caroline this round if you are going to retreat back to Queensland next round?

I haven’t read any of the other posts yet, but find the questions good and want to answer them.

Carolines is a great strategical spot. I want to still be able to pressure both the DEI, Tokyo and the coast of China.

It’s not certain that the fleet retreats to z54. It will only do that if it gets plenty of counter-pressure, which means J has to commit for it, which relieves UK-Pac and China.

@Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

1. What are you planning to do with so many American transports? You don’t yet control the Pacific, won’t control the Pacific with just one more carrier + destroyer, and probably won’t control it for a while. You are in big trouble in Europe compared to a standard game, where you normally are in big trouble.

The idea is to get the Atlantic troop-shuffle going. That needs control of z91, which needs control of Gibraltar. An alternative is to go north via Iceland, but that takes an nb from UK and the southern tr is exposed.

I don’t cry over spilled milk. The good thing with the Gibraltar-mess is that G invested a lot of resources there. It’s no biggie since the air is flexible, but still, R has a lot less to worry about atm. Especially Leningrad is usually an easy grab, which it definitely isn’t now. That’s 7 IPC lost for G.

@Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

1. When do you plan to switch spending to the Atlantic? China and India are actually in a great position compared to a standard match. I am really shocked that Yunnan is alive and well. Soon you will have 19 inf + 4 art + a plane in China. I don’t really understand this Japanese plan for Andrew, but this is the biggest force that I have seen in ages.

I already have. 4 tr is not a slight thing. Also, some of the Pac-spending will smoothly and sneakily switch over to the Atlantic, putting serious pressure on Gibraltar. That’s my present idea atleast.

I like the strong China a lot. UK-Pac has to be careful not to lose Calcutta though.

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Another option (to get Gibraltar quickly) is to move the two carriers and a destroyer built in 10 to 89, land hte Hawaii fighters on them and then build a bunch of transports. You can build more navy and air for the pacific side too but threaten Gibraltar with 5 air and 8-12 land units. Building another bomber or two might be an option too. He probably can hold it, but he would have to leave most of the German air there. And the Italian fleet would then be exposed if it moved with a transport to strengthen Gibraltar as British subs and air could reach. At the very least this forces the Germans to focus on their West and may give the Soviets more room to maneuver and Egypt more time. And you might get Gibraltar back out of it next turn. The danger is what it does in the Pacific, but given that you are holding Yunnan, and that much of his fleet is too far away to stack caroline Islands, it may be worth it. The more I think about it, the more likely that this would be my choice, but I would want to think carefully about what happens in the Pacific and make sure I’m not setting up to lose Hawaii. I wouldn’t do Caroline Islands if I did this.

The British build I think is likely a factory in Persia and a carrier if possible along with inf in Cairo. And you can pull the fleet back to the Suez and bring as much air in range as possible. This might mean the UK air in China would go to the Caucasus even if it costs the bonus for a turn.

This is more or less the idea I have.

@Omega1759 so does China move to Guizhou this round, supported one more round by UK assistance? I really wish that Russia would keep their fighters in Moscow since they are sitting there on the Western front and will never be able to do very much. They could have helped reinforce China and then returned by the time Germany had any exploitable weaknesses.

I presented this idea earlier and wanted it discussed. Didn’t get any reponse, what I remember.

@Omega1759 China’s out of control. No Japanese force can stand next to the 15 inf + 4 art + plane this round, and it will grow another 4 units per round for the foreseeable future. This could have been cheaply avoided if Japan had simply attacked Hunan on J1. He chose an unusual variant of the opening for a reason.

I think he attacked Hunan, but failed the attack.

• Someone said something about attacking the Carolines is too risky. Can’t find the post, but can respond shortly.

With shore bombardment it’s a +95 % battle. The ships we put at risk are 2 tr, 2 cr, 1 bs. It’s sad and hurtful if it fails and we lose them, but not the end of the game.

In my view now is the time and opportunity to get hold of a true key square with low risk of failure. We might not be able to stay there the next round, but the territory is ours and it is important. J will have to go out of their way in order to reclaim it, and it’s usually not worth it for them.

In my book this is a star-move. ;)

• I don’t know about you guys, but I find this rather exciting! :)

Executing US now.

• The over-take of the Carolines went well, despite a killer japanese defence with 2 hits.

@AndrewAAGamer, I have a question regarding these particular 3-nation-turns: Would you allow us to be able to change things that are not affected by dice for the nation’s preceeding? Namely US and Ch while UK goes?

If you do, I believe it would speed things up considerably. US + UK are hefty turns and trying to handle this with feedback is a challenging task.

• TripleA Turn Summary: Americans round 2

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - Americans
            Americans buy 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters and 4 transports; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Americans
            1 bomber moved from United Kingdom to 92 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from Queensland to 54 Sea Zone
            2 infantry and 1 transport moved from 54 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            2 infantry moved from 33 Sea Zone to Caroline Islands
            1 battleship and 1 cruiser moved from 26 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 cruiser moved from 54 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 artillery moved from Hawaiian Islands to 26 Sea Zone
            1 artillery, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 26 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from 33 Sea Zone to Caroline Islands

Combat - Americans
            Battle in 92 Sea Zone
                Americans attack with 1 bomber
                Italians defend with 1 transport
                    1 transport owned by the Italians lost in 92 Sea Zone
                Americans win with 1 bomber remaining. Battle score for attacker is 7
                Casualties for Italians: 1 transport
            Battle in Caroline Islands
                Americans attack with 1 artillery and 3 infantry
                Japanese defend with 1 aaGun, 1 airfield, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
                    Americans roll dice for 1 battleship and 2 cruisers in Caroline Islands, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1,67 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 1 artillery and 3 infantry in Caroline Islands, round 2 : 2/4 hits, 1,00 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 aaGun and 2 infantry in Caroline Islands, round 2 : 2/2 hits, 0,67 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the Japanese, 1 aaGun owned by the Japanese and 2 infantry owned by the Americans lost in Caroline Islands
                Americans win, taking Caroline Islands from Japanese with 1 artillery and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 5
                Casualties for Americans: 2 infantry
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 aaGun and 2 infantry

Non Combat Move - Americans
            1 transport moved from 86 Sea Zone to 89 Sea Zone
            1 armour and 3 infantry moved from Brazil to British Guiana
            1 carrier moved from 10 Sea Zone to 89 Sea Zone
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from 26 Sea Zone to 89 Sea Zone
            1 carrier and 1 destroyer moved from 26 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            1 cruiser moved from 51 Sea Zone to 89 Sea Zone
            1 destroyer and 1 submarine moved from 54 Sea Zone to 33 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Hawaiian Islands to 33 Sea Zone
            1 destroyer moved from 10 Sea Zone to 25 Sea Zone
            2 submarines moved from 10 Sea Zone to 30 Sea Zone
            1 carrier moved from 10 Sea Zone to 89 Sea Zone
            2 fighters moved from Hawaiian Islands to 89 Sea Zone
            1 bomber moved from 92 Sea Zone to British Guiana

Place Units - Americans
            1 carrier placed in 10 Sea Zone
            1 destroyer placed in 101 Sea Zone
            4 transports placed in 101 Sea Zone
            2 fighters placed in Western United States

Turn Complete - Americans
            Americans collect 52 PUs; end with 52 PUs
            Objective Americans 1 Homeland: Americans met a national objective for an additional 10 PUs; end with 62 PUs
            Objective Americans 3 Defense Obligations: Americans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 67 PUs
            Objective Americans 2 Outer Territories: Americans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 72 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Americans : 1,33
    Japanese : 1,33

Savegame

• Not finalized yet.

Now I want you to look at this position and tell me if you’re happy enough. After it’s finalized it’s likely stuck with us, depending on Andrew’s response to my previous inquiry.

I have one question which I’m not sure of, and that is to bring a second ac to z89.

I’d like to bring as little as possible, but still enough to be able to force the issue in Gibraltar despite reasonable maximum efforts by the nazis.

Now we’ll have 10 land and 4 air plus a cr shore-bombardment, with a follow up of 2-4 land, some air and shore-bombardment by UK.

I’d be crazy to try to hold Gibraltar as Axis looking at that.

Actually I play another game where Axis has succeeded with holding Gibraltar for maybe 10 turns, but at tremendous costs. They’re losing as a rock since both US and Russia overwhelms themin other parts of the board.

• @trulpen I probably would bring the carrier to 89 because I think you can afford the setback in the pacific but not in Gibraltar. Otherwise this looks good although I suspect axis can choose to hold it for another turn.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I agree. Send the CV to SZ 89. You aren’t going to immediately threaten the Japanese with it, but you can turn the tide in Med + Italy + Operation Torch. You can always send it back to the Pacific once the beach head is established.

• Ok, then it’s settled. We max up towards Europe. Sounded like it’s unexpected, but it was part of my plan already in US1. Wouldn’t have made a stronger threat from z101 anyway.

• Now the chinese have 16 to buy for. 1 art, 4 inf or 4 art? I love art with them, but they’re still in a position were they are on the defence. Still leaning towards art, putting pressure on the japs.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Chinese round 2

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 2

Purchase Units - Chinese
            Trigger Chinese Artillery Supplies: Chinese has their production frontier changed to: productionChinese_Burma_Road_Open
            Chinese buy 4 artilleries; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Chinese
            2 infantry moved from Shensi to Kweichow
            1 fighter moved from Burma to Kweichow
            1 infantry moved from Yunnan to Kwangsi
                  Chinese take Kwangsi from Japanese

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Savegame

• My suggestion.

• The point of attacking Kweichow with 2 inf is that I’d prefer if J can’t land air there to protect the stack.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Absolutely agree. Kill Japanese inf at anytime with China. It’s their main advantage…land forces

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m